Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Paraguard vs Mirena vs the shot

So I need to get back on a birth control med son. I have been on the mini pill bug the doctor said that since I'm not BFing anymore I need to change. I get horrible depression with regular BC pills and did not like the Nuva Ring. She said the only options would be an IUD or the shot. I haven't used either of these and am hoping for some feedback from ladies that have. I use a Diva Cup so keep that in mind.TIA

Advertisement

I love Kissed by the Moon & I'd love it if you shopped my affiliate link! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

mypeanut09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not get the shot. It's not reversable. The side effects are extreme(weight gain was a major one for me). The iud are expensive but at least if you don't like it you're not stuck waiting for it to wear off.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paraguard vs Mirena vs the shot

Thanks. I think my insurance covers the IUDs pretty well, so I don't think the cost will be an issue.

I love Kissed by the Moon & I'd love it if you shopped my affiliate link! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please talk to your doctor about how the iud would affect your depression. My personal experience with the Mirena, as far as depression goes, was not a pleasant one. Other women do fine with it but I had a really hard time. I might have to get it again once the pregnancy ends and I'm dreading the day when I'll have to decide. I think we might have to avoid by other means. BC pills give me migraines and there was a risk of stroke (for me) because of the effects, according to the doctor I talked to.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the shot is no good. it can cause bone loss after long term use and it also makes people have wild mood swings toward the end of the 3rd month before getting the new shot

ive known some love the mirena and others that hated it. no periods have been a reported benefit from those that like it but others said they had non stop bleeding for months. i chose not to get the mirena because i didnt want to risk it

i chose the paragard, it lasts 12 years vs the 5 years of the mirena. some have reported heavier flow and cramps during their period but i did not have that issue. my x could feel the string when we dtd but it did not bother him. i was able to remove the iud and get PG that cycle
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do not have depression normally. I ONLY had it while on birth control pills.