Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
kreitzer
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wool or not to wool?

I have seen a lot of posts about wool recently. What exactly are the advantages to using wool? What made you decide to try wool? Also, I live in FL. so is it too hot to use wool?

April

Advertisement

kreitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wool is super breathable so.even in hot temperatures it keeps baby cooler, by regulating around body temp. Wool is great when paired with an absorbent fitted at night to prevent leaks. We use woolies at night because they don't leak and have kept DS from being red in the morning. I also appreciate the fact that they don't need to be washed after every wear so I have a few woolies and I always have a night time worthy cover available.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 09-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

We live in Houston and I am switching to wool as well. I plan to use mostly lighter weight wool covers for maximum air flow. Around the house we are going cover free now that I have GMD prefolds which are super absorbent.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
buckner6
Registered Users
seller

Re: Wool or not to wool?

wool is great for hot climates because it is so breathable! I live in SE TN and it was 105for a good stretchhis summer. my DD got a heat rash in PUL, but did fine in wool.

http://hyenacart.com/stores/theknittingaddict/
buckner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

I am using wool more and more for several reasons.

Washing is easier. For me simple cotton fitteds sometimes with doublers is super easy to wash and put away. Wool is easy to wash too and I only do that every couple of weeks. (ds is still little and not getting into things yet do maybe that will change later)

It's breathable. His skin is usually clear when he's been wearing wool. This is especially noticeable overnight. 10-12 hours wearing a pul cover and he's usually red in the morning.

I find I need less absorbency, some of the moisture is evaporating and he stays drier for it.
Miss squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we use wool b/c it is our only option b/c DS is allergic to most synthetic fibers. we also love how cute it is

we use it all summer w/o any problems
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just like the others mentioned, wool is highly breathable compared to other diaper cover options! My son had bad rash problems with PUL, and when I switched to breathable fleece and wool covers (and stay-dry fabric against his skin) he stopped having the rash. A comparison I read about, here on DS, was that PUL was like wearing a plastic bag in summer and wool was like wearing a sweater. Which would you choose?

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
holocene
Registered Users

I am falling in love with wool. We are slowly making the transition to wool full time.

Because of all the above mention reasons, and aslo because I love how freaking cute it is.
We are using Sbish Underwoolies so far, I used it over night with and Sbish fitted underneath, and it worked great. I'm going to get a few thicker knit pieces for him to hear overnight for the winter though.

Give it a try! You might be surprised by how much you like it.
holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I tried it early on and couldn't find the love. Fast forward to now when DS1 is 2 and he can outwet anything else, we use both sbish diapers and wool - no leaks. I still use AIOs on my nine month old during the day because he's a squirmer, a light wetter, and I love them (Simplex AIOs). I did switch him to fitteds and wool at night though and his skin has never looked better.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

It was the 100+ degree weather here that made us try wool - DS was getting heat rash and super sweaty, and the wool definitely kept him cooler!
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote