Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

water usage

Someone please make me feel better about the extra loads of laundry that I'm doing. Normally when I read the "washing diapers uses more water" arguments I scoff and shake my head. And overall that's still my view because if I remember correctly, it takes as much water to MAKE a sposie as it does to wash a cloth dipe over its lifetime. The difference is that right now, my town is in drought level 2 (less than 18 months left of water - I think we're at 13 months) and by mid October we'll likely be level 3 (less than a year of water left). So while making a sposie might use more water, it uses the water somewhere else where it isn't as dire a situation. I have 2 in diapers (although DS1 is starting to show signs of being ready for the potty) so I wash 3-4 loads per week. I have a front loader and I don't run too many extra cycles. I either run a speed wash (cold) with nothing if I have time, or I hit the "presoak" button before my regular wash. I run a normal hot wash cycle with an extra rinse, and that's it. (We have seriously HARD water so even using regular Tide, it rinses clean quite easily)

I know there has to be a good reason that would explain why it's better to keep using our cloth. I really don't want to switch. Someone remind me, please!

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: water usage

Well--- no diaper laundry for the last 3 months did not make my water bill go down any.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well one cycle is equivilant to 5 toilet flushes I beleive I read somewhere. I am used to drought conditions since we battled that heavily in the area I grew up in an we practiced the "yellow let it mellow" method. Out of habit I have always done it and now DH adn the kids do as well so I feel like we save lots more than those 5 flushes daily. That might be an option for you guys although I'm sure you're already doing it. Otherwise like PP said, it really doesn't add up to much in terms of water usage. I would just be mindful in all other ways like when washing dishes and such.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
SammieZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep at it mama! I know there are water reclamation facilities that our laundry water goes to and they filter the water, sterilize it and use it to water our landscapes around here (Northern California, perpetual drought!). The sposies can't be recycled in any way and then fill yet another dump! Not to mention that CD'ing is better for baby, helps potty train earlier, etc, etc
SammieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ahhh, see - I knew I could count on DS mamas to remind me why I do this!! Thanks, ladies!