Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #31
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Name -- Brutal Honesty, ladies!

Having two middle names is a legal pain. Just FYI.

As for why it feels awkward, it's because the letter sounds aren't alphabetical, and our brains like patterns. Dawn Emersyn Jewel sounds much smoother with the same three names, but I know Dawn is not your first choice.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The first thing through my mind was, John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.... just saying.... i like emersyn dawn, it flows nicely.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #33
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have two legal middle names and it has only presented an issue once or twice in my entire lifetime. When I got married I did simplify my name down to three names but that was more because I also had two last names...yep that's right, I was THAT kid in school with FIVE names. I know several people with two middle names but maybe that is a cultural thing because in my culture you get one name from your mother's side and one from your father's, then my parents divorced hence the two last names.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #34
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

I "nixed" Nixon, lol. I just couldn't bring myself to like it, or dis-associate it with the President. :/ I think we're going to stick with Emersyn/Emerson ether way -- "yn" if its a girl and "on" if it's a boy.

My dh and all of our kids have 2 middle names. Dh goes by his 2nd middle name. We've never ran into any issues at all.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:
Yea really I would just drop one for simplicity with some forms but having two never bothered me either legally. I was kind of sad to give it up when I got married. I vote to nix Nixon lol.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nix the Nixon! I love the idea of having the same name for either gender but spelling it different. Great idea
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #37
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nixing Nixon here, too.

My DH actually suggested the name Woody. Our last name is Lott! I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not, but that one got a quick veto.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #38
Mom2lucy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I actually like the name Nixon. So I'll be the odd man out. I think it's super cute. Who cares if it was a pres name. Lots of people name their kids Clinton... Ive never really heard any bad things about that name. I had a friend name her baby Rockwell and all I could think of was Norman Rockwell! I liked that name too. But no one else really knew who he was. Lol
Mom2lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love the name Emerson - but I love it for my 4 yr old niece or older kids because it is rarely used in that age group. I don't like the name for babies because it has became a commonly used name over the last couple years.

I am not a fan of Jewel and I really don't think it flows with Emerson.

I don't like needless 'y's stuck into first names like Emersyn or Wynter. It makes me feel like people didn't think the name was showy enough and are hunting for ways to spice it up.....well then just pick a more showy spicy name! It doesn't bother me when 'y's are shoved into middle names because middle names are just for extra show anyway. It's like when someone covers their family room couch with tons of throw pillows vs just using the extra throw pillows on the sitting room furniture. Why didn't they pick out a family room couch they liked without having to spice it up with pillows that just get in everyone's way? Ok....silly letter rant over

I really really really don't like Dawn, but Emerson Dawn flows better than Emerson Jewel.

I love names that offer built in alternatives so as a child matures they can go by whatever form of the name suites their preferences. Emerson gives you the choices of Eme & Emmy.

But, since you asked for the brutal truth, if I were you I would go back to the drawing board with all 3 of your daughters proposed names.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #40
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

LOL... that gave me a good laugh while reading. (Not at you, just at your examples & descriptions, haha) I do like your logic, and appreciate your opinion.

We altered the spelling of our first daughters name because, to us, adding the "y" made it look more feminine. Then when our 2nd daughter came along, we decided we preferred the way it looked with a y, as well... and it's just stuck for us. So here we are again, loving the name Emerson but preferring it spelled "Emersyn" for a girl. Both because it looks more feminine to us and because it follows suit with our other 2 girls names.

At first, I wasn't sure that I liked Emersyn Jewel, either. But it has definitely grown on me and now I am in love with it. Oh, and I have wondered about how common the name is, or will become. Around here, it is not a common name at all. I've never met anyone named Emerson. However, I was surprised to hear Cameron Diaz's character on "What To Expect When Expecting" named her baby Emerson. So now I am betting it will become a pretty common name.

Anyhow... depending on what this little one has between his/her legs... we will have an Emersyn Jewel Diane or Emerson Micheal John.... both of which I am *finally* content with, LOL! AND since I am team green, I won't feel so guilty about referring to him or her by that name throughout the remainder of my pregnancy.

Last edited by mommajewels; 09-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
mommajewels is offline   Reply With Quote