Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Mummandherboys's Avatar
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,992
My Mood:
Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

Hello All,

I have a 7 year old son that struggles pretty badly with seasonal allergies... we live in New Mexico and the worst times are in Fall and Spring. We just got him diagnosed from an allergy Dr. today that he does in fact have pretty severe allergies to the weeds/trees/grasses/etc. here He gave me a list of things I can do, but highly recommends their "shots" ...where you spend a good chunk of money and have shots every so often for 3-5 years approx., in hopes that your body's immune system will get used to these things and build up resistance. I am leary of any and all shots as it is (we choose not to vaccinate/etc..) and so I guess I just do not know enough about this and it just seems very costly for no guarantee anyway and even if they do help some...it's just seems like such a long and ongoing process My DH and I don't feel great about this option...but I thought I would ask you all if you have any other natural solutions to seasonal allergies for kids? We have tried a homeopathic remedy for the common allergens in our region/zone and I don't think it has helped much unfortunately. We also just got the nasal wash bottle (like a neti pot for kids) and will start using that at least once a day.

Oh, and the Dr. wrote us a prescription for a nasal spray that he thinks we should use 15-20 min. after we use the sinus rinse. I am also not a huge fan of over the counter meds...but I do feel like I should do something for my little guy The Dr. said it was a nasal spray with very little, to no, side-effects/etc..etc...

What do you all think?? Sorry for the book here!

Thanks for any advice or wisdom on this!

Advertisement

__________________
Leah, Jesus lover, wife to youth pastor Todd
and loving being a Homeschooling/SAHM to 6 boys!
Mummandherboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
jbug_4's Avatar
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 6,759
My Mood:
Re: Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

You could try local honey- same concept as the shots- which btw they make sub-lingual drops that do the same thing. They are not approved in the US but have been used in Europe for a very long time. US docs still have access to them- at least some do. They can be done at home. Those are the only way to "cure" allergies. Otherwise your just treating symptoms. At his age he is likely to grow out of his allergies in late adult hood. What spray did they give him? I would recommend some sort of cure type treatment. Google honey for allergy treatment for info on that. As someone who has severe enviro allergies I couldn't function without meds. In 15 years my meds have been changed 8 times because they start to lose effectiveness. I take at least 1 med daily year round. During high pollen times I take 3 meds daily. I have been doing this for 15 years and will likely continue doing it for another 15. I tried shots however when I did my symptoms weren't controlled. The nurses would not give shots if you had active symptoms. It took years to find the right combo and get them under control. I just never tried again. If you have never had allergies like your lo- it is miserable. And it doesn't get any better. If my dd's ever get worse we will be doing drops for her. I was told since I was still fairly young when I developed allergies that my body would eventually stop reacting- probably sometime in my 50's. I know several people who have had allergy shots, and they have worked. However a person already predisposed to allergies can develop them again- usually to something different. A co-worker had shots in her 20's. In her 50's she started having problems again and ended up developing allergies to things she was not allergic to the first time around. She had shots again for the new allergies. Hope you find what your looking for.
__________________
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.

Last edited by jbug_4; 09-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
lynn97's Avatar
lynn97
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,302
My Mood:
Like Jbug, I have severe allergies. I have done two rounds of shots and they were good for me (the shots aren't a forever fix as your body changes and allergies change, too). I also cannot give up my meds completely. I use two nasal sprays during allergy season. From what I've read, they are relatively safe. They put the medicine right where it is needed rather than working systemically (like Claritin, Benadryl, etc). I have tried to stop taking them but always end up miserable and back on them. I have heard some people swear by honey but, frankly, it does nothing for me. Sadly, my neti pot doesn't help either. I like the pressurized saline spray, but it is expensive. I would encourage you to do something as your LO will most like eventually end up with other problems (like chronic sinus infections or ear infections) if you do not. Good luck, mama.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Mummandherboys's Avatar
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,992
My Mood:
Re: Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
You could try local honey- same concept as the shots- which btw they make sub-lingual drops that do the same thing. They are not approved in the US but have been used in Europe for a very long time. US docs still have access to them- at least some do. They can be done at home. Those are the only way to "cure" allergies. Otherwise your just treating symptoms. At his age he is likely to grow out of his allergies in late adult hood. What spray did they give him? I would recommend some sort of cure type treatment. Google honey for allergy treatment for info on that. As someone who has severe enviro allergies I couldn't function without meds. In 15 years my meds have been changed 8 times because they start to lose effectiveness. I take at least 1 med daily year round. During high pollen times I take 3 meds daily. I have been doing this for 15 years and will likely continue doing it for another 15. I tried shots however when I did my symptoms weren't controlled. The nurses would not give shots if you had active symptoms. It took years to find the right combo and get them under control. I just never tried again. If you have never had allergies like your lo- it is miserable. And it doesn't get any better. If my dd's ever get worse we will be doing drops for her. I was told since I was still fairly young when I developed allergies that my body would eventually stop reacting- probably sometime in my 50's. I know several people who have had allergy shots, and they have worked. However a person already predisposed to allergies can develop them again- usually to something different. A co-worker had shots in her 20's. In her 50's she started having problems again and ended up developing allergies to things she was not allergic to the first time around. She had shots again for the new allergies. Hope you find what your looking for.

Thanks for all the info Mama...and I am sorry that you also struggle with this
I have heard of honey for this...that's a good idea....for at least something to try. I thought I would try a couple of things naturally first before going the meds route. Tell me more about the drops? Where do you get them? You said Drs have them? This Dr. didn't mention any other options other than the shots. I wonder if what you are talking about is what we have already... it's a specific mixture of the plants/trees/weeds/etc. in our area and it's a natural approach to getting your body used to these things... I bought this one at a natural food store by us and I have also seen it at Whole Foods just recently. For children, he is supposed to take 6 drops 3X a day.... we haven't always been consistent with doing this, so I wonder if I should keep this up and see if it helps after a longer time doing it. What do you think? It was expensive stuff...so I wouldn't mind using it up...especially if it might work over time.

Thank you again for your thoughts on this... I am glad you have found what works best for you!
__________________
Leah, Jesus lover, wife to youth pastor Todd
and loving being a Homeschooling/SAHM to 6 boys!
Mummandherboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Mummandherboys's Avatar
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,992
My Mood:
Re: Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

Thank you too Lynn97....I love learning all I can on this....since it's all so new to me.
__________________
Leah, Jesus lover, wife to youth pastor Todd
and loving being a Homeschooling/SAHM to 6 boys!
Mummandherboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Funky Birdie Boutique's Avatar
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Livable Forest
Posts: 2,122
My Mood:
Re: Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

I so second (and third, lol) local honey!!! I went to Waco, TX a few yrs back for a franchise training and the whole seminar stopped when the owners took a look at me "Darlin' are you ok??!" I was DYIN' of allergies to Waco in the spring. Few yrs later we moved to Houston (have been here 11mos) and I immediately started all of us ('cept the baby) on local honey and none of us have had ANY allergy symptoms. I realize Waco and Houston are pretty far apart so perhaps we'd never have been allergic in the 1st place, but after being born and raised in So Cal I thought the chances were pretty high we'd have SOME reactions to a brand new place with such different greenery, but honey seems to have bolstered us well, GL mama!
__________________

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
jbug_4's Avatar
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 6,759
My Mood:
Re: Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummandherboys View Post
Thanks for all the info Mama...and I am sorry that you also struggle with this
I have heard of honey for this...that's a good idea....for at least something to try. I thought I would try a couple of things naturally first before going the meds route. Tell me more about the drops? Where do you get them? You said Drs have them? This Dr. didn't mention any other options other than the shots. I wonder if what you are talking about is what we have already... it's a specific mixture of the plants/trees/weeds/etc. in our area and it's a natural approach to getting your body used to these things... I bought this one at a natural food store by us and I have also seen it at Whole Foods just recently. For children, he is supposed to take 6 drops 3X a day.... we haven't always been consistent with doing this, so I wonder if I should keep this up and see if it helps after a longer time doing it. What do you think? It was expensive stuff...so I wouldn't mind using it up...especially if it might work over time.

Thank you again for your thoughts on this... I am glad you have found what works best for you!
What I am talking about would be available through a doc. It is the same serum used in the shot its just given orally in a different ratio. You do know that the shots are a mix of the the allergens just like the drops you have from whole food store right? Its desensitization immunotherapy. The only thing they are doing with the shots or drops is giving the allergen (with saline as a carrier) building up the amount until your body no longer reacts as strongly. Same concept as the honey (local pollen found in the the honey desensitizes). However there is debate about the honey since it goes into you digestive track rather than your immune system. The pollen might not be at a high enough level to work. And it has to be local. And it will also only help pollen related allergens. Back to the drops- some docs have them or make them available to their patients. Since they are not approved in the US insurance will not cover them. They are considered experimental (even though they have been used in Europe for like 20 years). Your doc probably didn't mention them because he/she doesn't use carry them. Our doc does. Our doc recommends them for children especially since they aren't shots and after the first few doses they can be given at home. Depending on ins coverage they may be cheaper than the shots. For us paying out of pocket for them would cost us about the same as our portion of shots after ins. My dd does not have a hard time with her enviro allergies- we give her the occasional spray of Flonase, she will ask when she thinks she needs it. However if they get worse we will not hesitate to get her drops. Even if it just buys her a little time its better then nothing. Seriously they are not going to get better without treatment. They will only get worse, until they are naturally desensitized. Don't get your hopes up by that statement- it takes 30 years or so of living in the same environment for that to happen. And until you get there its horrible. Over the years it just keeps progressing. In 15 years- I use to itch when I sat in the grass. Then I started sneezing while grass was being cut. Next came instant congestion, headache, itchy eyes and non-stop sneezing while grass was being cut. Then congestion so bad I can hardly breath while being cut. All this was with me being outside. These days the I can't even be inside with the windows open while grass is being cut. And I have all issues as above for up to 3 days after the grass has been cut. Recently have been given an emergency inhaler because I was having trouble breathing this year with the pollen season. I can't get to the docs office 3 times a week for shots, but I have been considering drops for myself as well. Just don't want to go through testing again. I am pretty much allergic to everything you can breath, chemicals, detergents, cleansers, smoke, tar- just about anything that has a strong smell will cause me instant congestion and headaches. People blow allergies off all the time as a little nuisance, but they can be a lot more then that. Like Lynn97 said it can lead to some big issues in kids. Ear, nose and throat problems and illness, Bronchitis, hearing loss, poor sleep habits.
__________________
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
ssand23's Avatar
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,820
Re: Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

I'm following this thread. I have really severe allergies to everything from plants, pollens, grass to cleaners, detergents, fabrics, foods & medications. I'm allergic to allergy meds like Claritin, Zyrtec & Allegra so those are out. I take benedryl at night (it knocks me out so I can't take it during the day) & use a saline spray. The spray is helpful to clean out my sinuses but ds has bad allergies, too & he won't sit for that.
Local honey is on my to-do list. There is a farm near by that sells this. I'd love to find another option to feel better!
__________________
Stephanie,
Mom to my girls ('94), ('99) & ('02)
And my little guy (12/09)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
jbug_4's Avatar
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 6,759
My Mood:
Re: Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
I'm following this thread. I have really severe allergies to everything from plants, pollens, grass to cleaners, detergents, fabrics, foods & medications. I'm allergic to allergy meds like Claritin, Zyrtec & Allegra so those are out. I take benedryl at night (it knocks me out so I can't take it during the day) & use a saline spray. The spray is helpful to clean out my sinuses but ds has bad allergies, too & he won't sit for that.
Local honey is on my to-do list. There is a farm near by that sells this. I'd love to find another option to feel better!
not natural, but have you tried Singuliar? I am not allergic to the drugs you mentioned but they lose their effectiveness after a while- I have been on all of them. And of course benedryl is useless for daytime and its not really an ideal maintenance treatment. I have been on Singuliar for 6 years now. Its my daily year round med and its been a lifesaver. They just came out with generic too! Yay! that stuff is expensive and some ins companies don't like to pay for it if its not for asthma treatment. So happy they finally have a generic. It doesn't work for everyone, but its one of those things that when it does work its amazing. I was on claratin and prescription decongestant and flonase full time and still had horrible symptoms. The meds were pretty much only keeping me from getting a sinus infection- I stayed right on the edge all the time. I come close to worshiping singuliar. It keeps me as close to symptom free as I have ever been. A few times a year I have to add an antihistimamine for a few days and probably once a month I do a shot of flonase. I do go ahead and take all 3 if I know I am going somewhere where I might have big exposure- like last week to the county fair.
__________________
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
amberartall's Avatar
amberartall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 198
Re: Natural Options for Child Seasonal Allergies?

Hmm you could try Elderberry. It helps some people's allergies and is awesome for when you are sick! Of course don't ever just pick the berries wild and use them because they have to be boiled a certain amount before use.
__________________
Owner of NaraBums
Proud wife to Patrick and mommy to Enara!!
amberartall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.