Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Shortness of breath... anyone else?

I'm 12 weeks.
I'm not short of breath in the sense that you would be if you just ran a sprint, but when I take a deep breath, it's like I can't get that last little bit into my lungs that makes it feel like a satisfying deep breath... like that last little bit is unattainable.

I DO remember this feeling from the last 2 pregnancies. I just don't remember it this early.

Anyone else? Is it something to do with increased blood flow? I just can't remember.

Oh, and it ranks up there on the 5 most uncomfortable pregnancy symptoms for me.

Advertisement

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Shortness of breath... anyone else?

Not really, I can take a deep breath. I do find myself with shortness of breath easily when I am moving. It might be something to mention to your doc, it seems a little early.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yeah like you said I had it much later in pregnancy with DD but not really early on.. Hmm..
Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721 View Post
I'm 12 weeks.
I'm not short of breath in the sense that you would be if you just ran a sprint, but when I take a deep breath, it's like I can't get that last little bit into my lungs that makes it feel like a satisfying deep breath... like that last little bit is unattainable.

I DO remember this feeling from the last 2 pregnancies. I just don't remember it this early.

Anyone else? Is it something to do with increased blood flow? I just can't remember.

Oh, and it ranks up there on the 5 most uncomfortable pregnancy symptoms for me.
YES.. I've been dealing with this EXACT same issue, a LOT, for the last few weeks. It seems to be worse at night, too. JUST like you said, like I can't get a decent amount of air into my lungs, and I find myself struggling to take a deep breath. And I'll feel like I need to yawn, but I can't because I don't get enough oxygen. I've never experienced it this early let alone this severe, and it's freaking me out quite a bit. :/ It's definitely not the same thing I always end up experiencing later in pregnancy when I get winded easily because the baby is taking up so much space in there. This is so much more unsettling.

Last edited by mommajewels; 09-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.
mommajewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Sunshine915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a cold right now, which is compounding the problem, but I get it. I feel winded walking up the stairs, and like I can't get a satisfying breath. I usually breathe kinda shallow for whatever reason, but pregnancy just makes everything weirder.
Sunshine915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
YES.. I've been dealing with this EXACT same issue, a LOT, for the last few weeks. It seems to be worse at night, too. JUST like you said, like I can't get a decent amount of air into my lungs, and I find myself struggling to take a deep breath. And I'll feel like I need to yawn, but I can't because I don't get enough oxygen. I've never experienced it this early let alone this severe, and it's freaking me out quite a bit. :/ It's definitely not the same thing I always end up experiencing later in pregnancy when I get winded easily because the baby is taking up so much space in there. This is so much more unsettling.
Okay so at least I'm not alone. It is very unsettling. I can be sitting on the couch or just driving the car and feel like I can't take a big enough breath to get a satisfying amount of oxygen.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh my, this is so distressing today especially... I feel like it's been all day long. When I googled it, it looks like it's from the increase in progesterone ... so hopeful that once the placenta kicks in that it'll get better?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Sunshine915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do you have asthma? Mine is super mild, but I think that pregnancy tends to make it worse. Darn progesterone... It's incredible how a change in hormones can cause so many changes to our bodies, even where seemingly unrelated to pregnancy.
Sunshine915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope, no asthma or other respiratory problems whatsoever. Just annoying and weird.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm calling the midwife today. I kept waking up overnight gasping for air. I'm feel like they'll just think I'm another hypochondriac pregnant lady, but I just don't feel okay... lightheaded and dizzy... from not even exerting any energy.