Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
SarahMarie13
Registered Users

Line drying Hook/Loop?

I have only been cloth diapering a few weeks with my new little guy and I need to work on my stash. (I know I really like BG pockets or flips.) I am trying to decide between snaps and velcro. I already have a few of both, and I like the velcro much better! My problem is I don't know if it will last as long. So far I have been line drying all my covers and the velcro still looks brand new. however, I have only washed them around 10 times each. Is there anybody else that never drys their velcro covers? Do they hold up over time if not dried?

Advertisement

SarahMarie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Line drying Hook/Loop?

I used the same BG hook/loop for almost 2 years, bought used from a mamma that used them for about a year. I rarely lined dried--always put in the dryer. The hook/loop was pilly but still plenty sticky. the pillyness didn't bother me or DH. DH/daycare prefers hook/loop over snaps. I didn't have to replace it before DS2 PT. The pul ended up delmaniting first. I then used them as swim diapers. I plan on using them for the new bean.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMarie13 View Post
I have only been cloth diapering a few weeks with my new little guy and I need to work on my stash. (I know I really like BG pockets or flips.) I am trying to decide between snaps and velcro. I already have a few of both, and I like the velcro much better! My problem is I don't know if it will last as long. So far I have been line drying all my covers and the velcro still looks brand new. however, I have only washed them around 10 times each. Is there anybody else that never drys their velcro covers? Do they hold up over time if not dried?
I used to machine dry my covers/pockets with velcro. They wore out quickly, so I started now line drying them all. Or, something else you can do to prolong the life if you're too lazy to hang dry them (like me sometimes), is put them in the dryer on low heat for about 10 minutes.

It's true that you can get a better fit with aplix, however, you are totally correct, velcro wears out. I really love the look of snap diapers.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love our velcro dipes, but I have lots of snaps too. I line dry anything with velcro, which is why I love GroVia AI2 and BG Freetimes. You can still throw the soaker for the GV in the dryer, and the Freetimes dry overnight since they have microfiber soakers.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
itsajoi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

BG hook and loop in general is much less long lasting than other brands. Mine didn't just get pilly, it got dysfunctional. Anything will probably last longer if you line dry, though.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I only line dry my velcro and they look great after a year.
I have 2 wet bags. I pull out inserts, place in my large wet bag (which gets my snaps dipes, all inserts, & wipes), and put the velcro shells in my medium wet bag. My medium wet bag gets 1small load size, long hot wash & a line dry. That's it.
Since the velcro shells never wash with inserts, they get no lint in them, and since they don't get the heavy duty wash routine of pre-rinsing & extra post rinsing, the wear is less. Works great!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love my bg hook and loop but it because I use them only at night its suck a good fit. all the day time ones are snaps.
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote