Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
stephbrown13
Registered Users

Help me choose a new pump

My Medela PIS just bit the dust and I'm looking for a replacement. I've already replaced the PIS once (under warranty), and would like a different brand. I pumped while working for 14 months with DS1, and am now exclusively pumping for DS2 who at 9 months went on a nursing strike and never went back to the breast.

Any recommendations? I was thinking an Avent because we use Avent bottles and the soft shields look comfortable. I have a Hygeia but I don't like it very much. It seems slower and less powerful than the Medela? I don't know if its my particular pump, or just the brand. Anyways, what doule electric would you recommend that is not a Medela, and not a Hygeia. I considered just rending a hospital grade pump since DS2 is already 10 months, but they are so heavy and awkward I don't want to be lugging it around everywhere since I'm EPing.

Advertisement

Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
stephbrown13
Registered Users

Re: Help me choose a new pump

Nothing? After reading everything I can on pumps I'm thinking maybe it's normal that the PIS has worn out twice because I use it so much and maybe I should just buy another one instead of trying out something completely different. When I had to deal with Medela customer service before, they were wonderful and so easy. I don't like the look, feel, or setup of the PIS (I would prefer a closed system) BUT I do already have spare parts and a ton of extra bottles for it so I suppose I should just go with that. Unless someone wants to tell me a story about how they replaced theirs with an Advent and were super happy about it? Or even a Freestyle? Is there any good deals out there on the PIS or should I just go to Target?
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
cyanotype
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ameda! I had a PIS and disliked it. The Ameda is a closed system, no milk in the tubing like my PIS, small & portable, powerful and customizable suction and speed adjustments. I can get two letdowns by adjusting the controls. I also was sold to pump .5-1oz more when I switched.
Edit: the parts are easy to clean! Medela bottles fit with no extra attachment.

My phone thinks it smarter than me. Please pardon any mistakes.

Last edited by cyanotype; 10-15-2012 at 06:38 PM.
cyanotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I used an avent for one year and really liked it, never had a problem! I mean, as much as you can like a pump :/. The soft shields were actually weird though - comfy but hindered production, and milk would get trapped between the shield and the flange, not what you want while pumping at work! I liked the wide mouth on the avent bottles.
Ive never used another pump so i can't really compare the settings but the avent is completely customizable - you set it based on a few squeezes not a preset. So i think that was a helpful feature esp toward the end when i was doing anything i could to maintain.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me choose a new pump

I can't recommend another pump that is not Medela :/. I didn't like Avent's pump at all. I also had problems with the PISA and it not having enough suction. I can highly recommend the FreeStyle though. I have two because I Eped for my first and then got pregnant right away with number two and have had zero problems with them. I am a WOHM 40-50 hours a week so I pump a lot. I rented a symphony with my first because he was in NICU and I actually liked my FreeStyle better.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can't help... I've been happy with my Medela PISA. I pumped at work for my DS until 1 year & recently pulled it out for occasional use for DD. All I can offer is that I had a coworker who loved the Medela Freestyle so maybe that's another option that would work with your bottles and accessories?

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote