Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3rd labors resemble 1st?

So interesting!! The more people I hear from, the more I hear that #3 is the "wild card"! Although, for quite a few people, I've also heard that #3 was their fastest and most intense. I thought going from 3cm to 10cm in less than an hour with DD was pretty intense, so we'll see what this babe brings!

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Double post!

Last edited by Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama; 09-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #23
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've heard that the 3rd labor is a wildcard too! FWIW I've had 3 babies and my third was my easiest by far
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
Ashtyn(n)Nyla'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 3rd was 13 hours! And an induction, my water broke at 34 weeks and I never started contracting. He was a 5 8 preemie that never turned.

#1 was 6 hours and 6lbs 9 ozs
#2 was 2 hours a water birth and 6 lbs 10 ozs
#3 was horrible. Lets hope #4 is like #2.

Sent from my LS670 using DS Forum which thinks it's smarter then me.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #25
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read the other responses, so I apologize if I just repeat stuff. I think it totally depends on the person.

I don't know that I'm an accurate measure, since my middle son ended up being an emergency c-section due to a prolapsed cord when my water was broken in an attempt to induce. 6 years later, I am still kicking myself for my impatience and wondering what it would have been like had I not wanted to rush things! That's a whole nother story though.

Anyway, with my first, my water broke right at midnight at 38 weeks, 1 day. I was given pitocin at the hospital because nothing was happening. My son was born almost exactly 12 hours after my water broke.

My third was wonderful. I got the VBAC I wanted, though I was super nervous I would end up with another c-section. With him, my water broke at midnight at 38 weeks, 6 days. We gave it a fair chance because I didn't want to do pitocin BUT again, nothing was happening. Pitocin was started right around noon and he was born about 4 hours later.

So for me, my 3rd was longer than my 1st (which I assume is because we waited longer to start pitocin), but both births were VERY similar.

Last edited by SPJ&E; 09-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.
SPJ&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wasn't for me. My first labor was 6 hours, my 3rd was 35 minutes (not kidding! I woke up and 35 minutes later was holding my boy, he was born at home, daddy caught him, it was totally unplanned by us, but God knows best )
Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

My first labor was 16 hrs long and had a very defined starting point.

My second was harder to define the starting point, but it was sometime on Wednesday the 5th, and she wasn't born until like 9pm on Friday evening. I went into L&D on Wednesday, they said I was in labor but it was likely to be a while and since I lived within walking distance of the hospital they suggested I go home and come back a bit later. I was only at like 1cm dilated. A bit later turned out to be Friday. However, I had been having contractions for like 1.5 to 2 weeks prior to all that going down.

My 3rd labor I was induced due to low fluid and suspected IUGR. From the time the pit was started until she was born was a little over 12 hours. I was not dilated at all at check in time. Again, I had been having contractions for a substantial length of time before that.

I expect baby #4 to be arriving within the next 30 days. I have been contracting very irregularly, but pretty intense and painful still, since about 18 to 20 weeks along. I expect a very long labor again.

As
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #28
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah View Post
Wasn't for me. My first labor was 6 hours, my 3rd was 35 minutes (not kidding! I woke up and 35 minutes later was holding my boy, he was born at home, daddy caught him, it was totally unplanned by us, but God knows best )
My DH is terrified that this is what will happen with us! It's actually how it came up with the midwife - we were talking about the fact that my first was an 8hr labor and my second 4hrs, and DH was saying he was bringing me to the birth center the second he knew I was actually "in labor" this time, because he was afraid of what #3 would bring! He wasn't convinced when she told him I would likely go longer than I did with #2 and still has every intention of heading in ASAP. Which is a bit of an over-reaction given that we live 1.6mi from the BC!

Last edited by Caz; 09-12-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad to hear that #3 can be a wild card, because I do NOT want a repeat of my first labor. Started contractions on a Friday afternoon, had them all weekend and my water did not break until 8am Monday morning. DD wasn't born until 5:30pm. Not fun.

Although still a long labor, with DS, labor started around 2:30pm and he was born around 2:30am, so 12 hours. He was my home water birth. Even though I was exhausted, it was still a great birth. That I would be willing to repeat.

We'll see!!! 10 days until EDD and my first two were both born 39+6. Eeeeee!!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
My DH is terrified that this is what will happen with us! It's actually how it came up with the midwife - we were talking about the fact that my first was an 8hr labor and my second 4hrs, and DH was saying he was bringing me to the birth center the second he knew I was actually "in labor" this time, because he was afraid of what #3 would bring! He wasn't convinced when she told him I would likely go longer than I did with #2 and still has every intention of heading in ASAP. Which is a bit of an over-reaction given that we live 1.6mi from the BC!
Lol, well mine have been crazy since. 3rd came after 35 minutes, 4th after 30, and our 5th (just born 7/31) after 17 minutes. That's not a typo, I literally woke up had 4 contractions and started pushing, 4 pushes later she was born.