Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Xmas/Bday wish list - Tacky or a good idea?

Just curious on everyone's thoughts. We've got bday & xmas rapidly approaching & nearly every time we get a box of goodies or presents (holidays, for fun or bdays/xmas) there is junk we don't want (like crappy toys that fall apart in 5 mins) or candy/snacks that I have to just give away b/c of our allergy issues. I know our families are well-meaning, but I honestly would rather them save their money over buying "stuff" just to dole out x amount of presents to everyone or b/c they figure "it's ok once in a while" when it comes to snacks/treats.

I was thinking, "Maybe I should make a blog post with the boys' wishlists & sizes," and that might help everyone out. But I don't want it to seem like we are asking for anything, b/c we are absolutely not. I was even thinking of posting photos fo the actual lists they make since I thought it would be cutesy.

TIA for any FB

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Xmas/Bday wish list - Tacky or a good idea?

We have everyone make a wish list at thanksgiving! It makes it a lot easier to shop for them. We have a 20 max limit. You don't have to buy off the list but it sure helps to know what they like.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think its tacky. You aren't making anyone buy from that list but at least it says what they want/need. I keep an Amazon wishlist for myself and DS. If anyone asks what he'd like I direct them there making sure they know the items don't have to purchased through Amazon. You can also add items from any website which is helpful. All the grandparents have it bookmarked so they know where to look.Christmas and birthday time
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainmemphis
I don't think its tacky. You aren't making anyone buy from that list but at least it says what they want/need. I keep an Amazon wishlist for myself and DS. If anyone asks what he'd like I direct them there making sure they know the items don't have to purchased through Amazon. You can also add items from any website which is helpful. All the grandparents have it bookmarked so they know where to look.Christmas and birthday time
This!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know. I like to ask someone what they would like, because, well I want them to like it. But I hate it if someone just comes up and says I want this and this if I have not asked.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
ecocentric
Registered Users
seller

Re: Xmas/Bday wish list - Tacky or a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainmemphis View Post
I third this.
ecocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I don't know why but somehow the task of Christmas shopping for DHs need and nephews falls on my shoulders. I started sending them an email in October asking specifically what the kids are into this year and what they might like. They always email me back with some ideas but the best part is its a natural progression to them asking what my kids like this year and what would be good gifts.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I've never made a list, and probably wouldn't personally. I will offer ideas to those who ask but I don't say anything to those who don't. I have had some people ask outright and get something else entirely, and some ask and get exactly what was requested. So I doubt a list would get rid of the problem anyway.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack
We have everyone make a wish list at thanksgiving! It makes it a lot easier to shop for them. We have a 20 max limit. You don't have to buy off the list but it sure helps to know what they like.
We do this also. It makes it much easier to shop for them. Also like the idea of sizes. We always get clothes that don't fit.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DS Forum
anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Belbaby3728
Banned

I plan on doing so and being very specific on things for my dds bday/xmas. Couple reasons- first we have a very small house and very limited storage for huge gifts. There are people in our families who will go overboard. Secondly, I don't want her to have meaningless toys if that makes sense, I would prefer she have more educational type toys that let her play and learn at same time. I'm just going to explain that and no large toys then they can choose whatever. Clothes and books are a plus For my dh's family who thinks money is the only way to show how much you love...(ugh)...I told him to tell them exactly what convertible carseat we need. I don't feel bad about it at all as its either this or we return things.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote