Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Xmas/Bday wish list - Tacky or a good idea?

Absolutely a great idea!!! I like to shop early and am usually having to email everyone to see what their kids want for b-day's and xmas. Then I have to wait for them to get back with me. I like having ideas of what the kids want instead of trying to guess what they might like.

Out of 12 kids, 10 of them have b-days between Dec and Feb. I like to get it all done at once.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
GodLover
Registered Users
seller

I think that's a great idea
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Tacky.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have blatently told all of my and DHs family not to buy toys with a lot of little pieces because they get lost, stepped on, etc. We have also suggested to them for Christmas to get a family (for the kids) gift. That actually went over really well. THe ILs bought our kids a Wii one year and now they get them games for it as b-day and holiday gifts. The ILs love it because it takes the question out of what to get. As far as clothing goes they all just ask wha's needed and for sizes. THey ask us for other suggestions too but they're buying for 4 kids in our house, we have very little storage, and they all shop within a budget. They would rather have whatever they're giving be something that will be played with than tossed into the toy box to never be seen again. I think the Amazon wish list is a great idea.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm doing that this year. I really don't want a bunch more toys. I have 5 children who are 5 and under and we REALLY don't need more toys. So, this year, I'm making a list and emailing it to the grandparents. My parents always ask anyway. My in-laws are the ones who always buy them junk that breaks quickly or that I really don't want them to have. I'm really hoping this will help guide what they get them. I plan to put books and clothing and things they need on it rather than toys.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've done it since DS was born. I don't think it's tacky, we're not sending it out to everybody we know or anything, but DH's family especially asks for a list; why not make it easier for everyone while also ensuring that we don't get stuff that we already have or won't use, KWIM?
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think its tacky. My DS had a wishlist at TRU and Amazon for christmas/birthday and I only directed people there if they asked what to get him. Even people give us things we don't like/need, we appreciate the sentimate nonetheless.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Blog post with wish list = Tacky.

If someone asks for suggestions, great, give them a list. Otherwise, it is tacky to tell people what to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbaby3728 View Post
I plan on doing so and being very specific on things for my dds bday/xmas. Couple reasons- first we have a very small house and very limited storage for huge gifts. There are people in our families who will go overboard. Secondly, I don't want her to have meaningless toys if that makes sense, I would prefer she have more educational type toys that let her play and learn at same time. I'm just going to explain that and no large toys then they can choose whatever. Clothes and books are a plus For my dh's family who thinks money is the only way to show how much you love...(ugh)...I told him to tell them exactly what convertible carseat we need. I don't feel bad about it at all as its either this or we return things.
Re the bolded. I would guess that those toys aren't meaningless to the people who love her enough to buy her gifts. I would be pretty hurt as a family/friend to find out that my choice of a toy wasn't up to your standards and was therefore meaningless.

If you don't like a gift - return it. Once you have it, it is your perrogative to keep it, return it, exchange it, regift or donate it. But, it isn't our place to tell people what to buy (unless they ask).
Old 09-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Belbaby3728
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids
Tacky.

If someone asks for suggestions, great, give them a list. Otherwise, it is tacky to tell people what to buy.

Re the bolded. I would guess that those toys aren't meaningless to the people who love her enough to buy her gifts. I would be pretty hurt as a family/friend to find out that my choice of a toy wasn't up to your standards and was therefore meaningless.

If you don't like a gift - return it. Once you have it, it is your perrogative to keep it, return it, exchange it, regift or donate it. But, it isn't our place to tell people what to buy (unless they ask).
Meaningless is probably the wrong word for it. I can't think of how else to say it. We have 3 large dogs that we need people to take into consideration too. (Aka I don't want toys that they may pick up without us noticing, etc).

I personally think its worse to get something and know we won't keep it, have kid(s) see it get all excited or whatnot and have to tell them no (kids that are old enough to know, obv not my dd this year as she'll be 1) and then if there isn't a gift reciept I have to ask whoever gave it if they have one...

I don't see it as a strict list but more of a guideline to give people an idea. And I am perfectly fine with people not buying anything, just feel if they are going to, they should respect what parents ask.

To each their own though.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbaby3728 View Post
Meaningless is probably the wrong word for it. I can't think of how else to say it. We have 3 large dogs that we need people to take into consideration too. (Aka I don't want toys that they may pick up without us noticing, etc).

I personally think its worse to get something and know we won't keep it, have kid(s) see it get all excited or whatnot and have to tell them no (kids that are old enough to know, obv not my dd this year as she'll be 1) and then if there isn't a gift reciept I have to ask whoever gave it if they have one...

I don't see it as a strict list but more of a guideline to give people an idea. And I am perfectly fine with people not buying anything, just feel if they are going to, they should respect what parents ask.

To each their own though.
It's a gift; not an obligation. Like I said, what you do with it afterwards is your choice. But, you don't get to choose your own gifts unless someone gives you a gift card or asks you for suggestions.