Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
EmilyDan
Registered Users

Laundry Help - Sort of Solid Poo

Up until the last couple of weeks my daughter's diet has consisted solely of breast milk, so I just threw her diapers in the washer without spraying, rinsing, dunking, etc. We've now started solids. She's had cereal for the last few weeks and just a few days ago started on a veggie puree. Her poo is starting to change. Instead of super runny, it's now thicker and kind of sticky, but not solid like an adult's. So, can I still just throw the diapers in the washer, or do they need to be rinsed? If so, do I need to actually get the poo off the diaper, or just rinse it well so it will come clean easier? So far I haven't rinsed (I don't have a diaper sprayer and have been purposefully avoiding thinking about when I would have to deal with the poo) and the diapers seem to be coming clean, just a little more staining. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement

EmilyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
bearsweetbear
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, you need to clean the poo off before washing. It can redeposit during washing if you don't. Had that happen with dipes our son's nanny stuck in the wet bag.
bearsweetbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
mamaliea
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Laundry Help - Sort of Solid Poo

I'd look into a sprayer.... I got one before I'd even purchased any diapers, I was so grossed out by the idea of dunking and swishing... and the poo will just get weirder as your baby keeps trying new food! Mine tends to leak if I forget to turn it off at the switch, though... so if you do get one, be careful to turn it off between diapers!
mamaliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
EmilyDan
Registered Users

Thanks for the insight. I figured I was at that point where I needed to do something. For some reason I'm really grossed out with anything that involves getting the dirty diaper wet (dunk and swish, diaper sprayer), so I bought a spatula and am using it to just scrape the poo off into the toilet. I've only had two dirty diapers since I got the spatula, but the poo seemed to come off well and I've got the diapers in the wash now, so we'll see how clean they are when they come out.

Thanks!
EmilyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I never used a sprayer and we used pockets. I would just wipe the dipe the best I could and then throw into the wash. Never had any issues. Though I did use bleach in most loads. Soon enough, the poo will be solid enough to roll off.