Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anxiety

We're TTC #1 and I plan to bf, God willing. I have anxiety about this because my breasts have always been very sensitive to touch (usually painfully). Breast exams are painful. DH has also voiced his concern on multiple occasions. It's really hard to let him touch me!

Any words of advice or encouragement? Any else who was very sensitive but ended up bf successfully? Might bf help "toughen" them up in a way?

Advertisement

ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
I was super worried about the same thing. I've now nursed a total of 35 months and counting
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dd is 2.5 months and mine have always been very sensitive but dd has been exclusively breastfeed since day one. At 1st it was a little painful when she would latch (she didn't open her mouth very wide at all) but once we got that down it is just fine
You can do it just try to concentrate on all the benefits like I did.

If you worry that you might not be able to do it then I believe what you think about most will happen so THINK POSITIVE

as soon as you have one negative thought about how it might hurt just immediately replace it with a positive thought "I CAN AND WILL DO THIS BECAUSE IT IS WHAT IS BEST FOR MY BABY!"

Good luck mama and congrats on your Wittle baybay
-sarah
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B
Dd is 2.5 months and mine have always been very sensitive but dd has been exclusively breastfeed since day one. At 1st it was a little painful when she would latch (she didn't open her mouth very wide at all) but once we got that down it is just fine
You can do it just try to concentrate on all the benefits like I did.

If you worry that you might not be able to do it then I believe what you think about most will happen so THINK POSITIVE

as soon as you have one negative thought about how it might hurt just immediately replace it with a positive thought "I CAN AND WILL DO THIS BECAUSE IT IS WHAT IS BEST FOR MY BABY!"

Good luck mama and congrats on your Wittle baybay
-sarah
Your future wittle baybay!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
kharvey92611
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anxiety

I too was worried about this.... and have been nursing for a year on the 26th =) good luck to you =)
kharvey92611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

You have to tough it out for about 4 days, but then it gets better super quick. Just hang in there for those days and then you will be home free! You can do it!!
jensmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BFing will probably make them less sensitive. I know that for me it has. I agree with the others that it will not be comfortable for a while. They say 4 days...both times for me it was 2 weeks. Latch was fine, it just hurt like crap when they latched on for 2 weeks. Don't freak out if that happens; it's most likely normal.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just know that it will hurt. It takes time for your nipples to adjust! Some are more painful then others, some last longer than others, but just know that there is some discomfort associated with it. I haven't met anyone yet that says it never hurt or had any discomfort!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I honestly only had a little pain when engorged. Utilize a lactation consultant! They are invaluable! They can teach you different techniques/tools to make Breastfeeding easier. Just know if it was agonizing, no one would stick with it. I really didn't have any issues, you may be pleasantly surprised!
Maybe look into different shields???
Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname
You have to tough it out for about 4 days, but then it gets better super quick. Just hang in there for those days and then you will be home free! You can do it!!
I wish it took me only four days to be pain free! Consider yourself very blessed!

Most mommies and LOs who ive talked with who hard time at first, including me, say 5-6 weeks to tough it out. But honestly momma, mind over matter. You CAN do it! Just don't make formula an option and don't let people push it on you. Getting DH on board and having him as committed to it as you is also very important. You will need his support and encouragement, Remind yourself everyday when it's hard that it's the best for your baby and your body was made to do it, Set small goals along the way- 6 wks, 3 months, 6 months, a yr, natural weaning You CAN do it.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote