Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Echowysp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dipes leaking, constantly. Help!

I've done cloth since my 1st was born in 2008 without many problems. Suddenly, my AIO and pockets are failing pretty regularly. My just-turned 2 year old can't wear one without leaking through the diaper and wetting her pants. I have to change her pants several times a day.

I've stripped. I've done on high to help seal. Most of these dipes have been used for 4 years, so I don't know if they are starting to see some wear, but even some of the newer ones (2 years old) are leaking through.

I have started using disposables at night and anytime we are out of the house because I'm tired of her having wet pants. I hate it, but in a way, it's nice not having to worry that she's a wet mess (never thought I'd have a day I prefer disposables )

I'm wondering if it's because she's older and holding her bladder, so flooding the older dipe? I don't want to get new diapers since I'm hoping to PT her soon.

Do dipes "die" after repeated use for years?

Advertisement

Check out my recipe blog and find tonight's dinner!
http://thatsdamngood.blogspot.com
Echowysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
mskalinin
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dipes leaking, constantly. Help!

I'm having this same prob, except my dipes are only about 1.5 years old! Interested to hear replies.
mskalinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would run water over them...see if water seeps through. That could mean the PUL is shot. If it beads and doesn't absorb then its repelling.

My ds will leak out of his diaper...he's a super soaker...but he leaks at the legs not through...

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I have been CDing for 7 years. The majority of them die anywhere at between 2 and 4 years old. Even testing them with water like pp said did not show it--they just started leaking like crazy. Several times I put them aside for a future baby, only to have major leaks on that baby, too. I'd say you did great if you got 4 years out of PUL.

FWIW, it has made absolutely no difference between the dipes that I babied (washed on cold, gentle cycle, CD detergent, line dried) and beat up (wash on hot, heavy wash, mainstream detergent, high heat dried) as to when they died. They have a limited life, just like most everything
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
Echowysp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I have been CDing for 7 years. The majority of them die anywhere at between 2 and 4 years old. Even testing them with water like pp said did not show it--they just started leaking like crazy. Several times I put them aside for a future baby, only to have major leaks on that baby, too. I'd say you did great if you got 4 years out of PUL.

FWIW, it has made absolutely no difference between the dipes that I babied (washed on cold, gentle cycle, CD detergent, line dried) and beat up (wash on hot, heavy wash, mainstream detergent, high heat dried) as to when they died. They have a limited life, just like most everything
Man, I thought they'd live forever and I'd be able to sell them at the end of their use with my youngest.

It makes sense that being washed several times a week for years would "kill" the PUL eventually. I might try stripping one more time and then retired them and use my fitteds more or even get a few cheap pockets to get us through PT this year.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29

I agree! That is awesome that they have lasted 2-4 years!

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Quote:

True but in my experience, line dried diapers last longer. Plus how long they are kept in the wet bag and the quality of PUL, of course. But there are only so many washes that it can withstand.
olstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echowysp View Post
Man, I thought they'd live forever and I'd be able to sell them at the end of their use with my youngest.

It makes sense that being washed several times a week for years would "kill" the PUL eventually. I might try stripping one more time and then retired them and use my fitteds more or even get a few cheap pockets to get us through PT this year.
You can also treat them all like fitteds and use them under fleece or wool pants. We just use fleece longies at this age anyway since they soft and stretchy. I buy a few plain colors that match several of her existing shirts for the season.

You could also PT her now and get it over with all at once. The book Toilet Training in Less Than One Day shows you how to do it in a weekend, if you don't mind a very unpleasant and frustrating weekend. But then it is totally done. Good luck

Last edited by Melinda29; 10-02-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
Echowysp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
You can also treat them all like fitteds and use them under fleece or wool pants. We just use fleece longies at this age anyway since they soft and stretchy. I buy a few plain colors that match several of her existing shirts for the season.

You could also PT her now and get it over with all at once. The book Toilet Training in Less Than One Day shows you how to do it in a weekend, if you don't mind a very unpleasant and frustrating weekend. But then it is totally done. Good luck
Thanks! I don't think she's quite ready yet, but I'm hoping to start the training early this year.