Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
CurtsBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do your kiddos share a room?

We are getting ready to move from a 3 bedroom house down to a 2 bedroom. DS turned 2 in July and DD is almost 10m old. Right now, they have their own rooms. DD is STTN in her crib and DS usually sleeps in our room in a toddler bed or our bed (seriously, his room is only a playroom). When we move we are thinking about putting them both in a room together but my friends tell me its a bad idea with their ages and it that it will be hard to decorate (because decorating is priority?).

I remember sharing a room with my older brother until I was probably 6 or so. Anyways, thought I'd get some opinions from mamas who know first hand!

Advertisement

How rearfacing saved my sons life
CurtsBabyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
My 3 kids share a room. They are 7, 3 1/2, and 14 months.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do your kiddos share a room?

My kids share a room. They are 4 and almost 2. They've been sharing since DS2 was 6 or 7 months old. They actually like sharing a room (someone to whisper and giggle with at night). The baby that is currently cooking will go in with them after he begins to somewhat reliably sleep through the night.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My teens have their own rooms, then 3 kids (8,7 and 5) share a room, and 2 in our room. We will be mixing it up a little this week and moving kids around but some will still share.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Shaunam
Registered Users

My 7 1/2 year old boy and 5 year old girl share a room. Their room isn't decorated. DD's bed is girly and DS has mario kart bedding. Neutral curtains. DS has a part of the wall at the head of his bed that he likes to "personalize" with stickers, drawings, etc. but that's all we have going on. They each get half the closet. I have two of those hanging shelf thingies for each of them, for socks, underwear, pjs, etc then their other clothes hang beside that. No dresser. DS has a loft bed so he has plenty of play space underneath. DD has a double bed, which leaves less space, but we need the extra room in the bed because of her special needs. DS is starting to want more privacy, but he only cares if grown ups see him naked. He changes in front of his sister and doesn't care.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
CurtsBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input mamas!

I think, my main concern is them waking each other up at night. Even though DS is older, he certainly does not STTN. However, I think him being in a new house may change that.
How rearfacing saved my sons life
CurtsBabyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ironically putting my girls in the same room helped them sleep better! If #3 is a boy he will pile in the baby room with our twins. I really see no issue at all in two genders sharing a room. I would consider different rooms when the oldest hits puberty. Other then that, why not?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemariep View Post
My kids share a room. They are 4 and almost 2. They've been sharing since DS2 was 6 or 7 months old. They actually like sharing a room (someone to whisper and giggle with at night). The baby that is currently cooking will go in with them after he begins to somewhat reliably sleep through the night.
This is basically us too. DD2 was in crib around 4 months, sharing a room. Then at 18 mos she transitioned straight into the twin bed with DD1. They share a bed, and will be upsizing to a queen soon, and DD3 will be put in a crib in same room when she's 4-6 months. Then eventually hopefully they'll be ages 6, 4, 2 sharing a queen bed together. I found that after just a few nights, they sleep through each other's wakings and noises. DD2 can fall asleep just a few feet from where DD1 is screaming 'Mommeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!' over and over again. I wouldn't worry about decorating. A soft green, tan, or periwinkle color is neutral, and there are plenty of gender neutral themes (animals).
Edit: and it's nice because I only have to do bedtime once .
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.

Last edited by elizabeth.scalf; 09-28-2012 at 07:35 PM.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

our boy girl twins who are 3 share a room, they sleep in the same queen bed. i can't see them doing it any other way. although i do think ds wakes dd up because he is a terrible wiggler and kicks her. but they sleep through each others screams, crying etc. when we go on holiday soon I'll try them in a single bed and see if they like it, but they'll still share.

i'm not sure what I'll do with our baby girl, I'll probably see if dd1 wants to move in with her, our move the 3 in together. i like them having that special time together and sharing isn't a bad thing!
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote