Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
NewMommy82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Eczema on cheeks irritated by food

What would you do if your 7 month old had chronic oozing/bleeding eczema on his cheeks and wanted to do BLW? We did it that way with my older DS and it went great, but this little one's cheeks hate getting food on them. He's only had banana 4 times and avocado once and every time he ends up rubbing his bib furiously on his cheeks and food gets all in there and they break open bleeding. I was kind of hoping his skin would be better by now so we could just give him food and let him go at it, but now I'm wondering if I should just start making baby food? Or just keep waiting before starting solids? I feel like he's getting hungry though and he's definitely interested in food. Does it have to be all or nothing? What would you do??

Advertisement

Last edited by NewMommy82; 09-29-2012 at 06:28 PM.
NewMommy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Eczema on cheeks irritated by food

With my DS we ended up just pureeing foods because his cheeks would bleed and his face was a constant mess. It worked for us. I just fed him until he didn't seem interested and at times I still would give him a piece of something to "play" with even though I knew it could be a problem. I didnt want him to totally miss out on it.

FYI, some of the foods could make it lots worse though so be careful. Tomatos were the worst for us. DS could eat it fine, but if it touched his face it would get tons worse immediately and we would have to give benadryl. Now he doesn't react that way to foods, but he does still have eczema on his cheeks and bottom so we think he does react to some foods although he has tested negative with the basics like eggs, wheat, dairy, nuts, and fish. We have less issues if we eat fresh foods though, so no canned or processed stuff.

Good luck mama this may be rather difficult for a while.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
NewMommy82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, Tina! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has/had this problem. Well after doing a little bit of reading I've decided to hold off on the food a little longer. I'll reevaluate in a month or two
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
c&rmom
Registered Users

My boys (twins) have eczema, but it doesn't sound as serious as your's (no bleeding or blistering). Before they eat (and pretty much constantly during the day), we put coconut oil and/or vaseline on their cheeks, under their noses, and on their chins. This helps to keep the food from irritating their skin. Also, when we wipe their faces, we do it with a really soft paper towel (Viva brand) without water and then reapply coconut oil or vaseline again before they keep eating. It's kind of a PITA, but I love BLW and my boys seem to also. The thing that is REALLY messy about BLW for us is when we give them a spoon and they put it in their mouth on their own b/c a lot of times they miss at first or some gets smooshed on their face on the way in to their mouths. If you just gave them cut up fruits and veggies, it wouldn't be as messy, so maybe that's an option too - BLW for things that aren't so wet and spoonfeeding things like yogurt.
c&rmom is offline   Reply With Quote