Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Unexpected Unassisted Homebirth

Those of you in the facebook DDC already have heard this story, but for everyone else - here it is:

Short Version

Woke up at 11:30ish with all the signs of labor, after telling Dermot and Mom that I thought this was it, texted the midwife who said she was on her way. Went downstairs and started timing contractions at 11:42. Moved to transition by 12:00. 12:10 stopped timing, and felt like I had to push. Pushed on all fours, felt her head, and with one more big push, caught her in my arms. 12:20. A 40 minute labor!

Long Version:

On Tuesday, September 11 I felt like I was maybe having more warm up contractions than the past few weeks but nothing very obvious or able to be scheduled. We had a lovely day, it couldnt have been nicer. We made cookies, a yummy dinner, went on a walk, everything was just as relaxing as could be.

Mom and I sat on the bed and knitted and chatted. And I went to bed at 10:30ish.

At 11:30ish I woke up needing to pee no surprises there, and felt a small bit of fluid. I think I lost about 1/3 cup of my water and started to get some cramping/contractions. I planned on just going back to bed to sleep until they got worse or more regular, but by the time I walked to the bed they were pretty strong. I woke up Dermot and told him that I thought it was time, but nothing was going to happen for a while, so to go back to sleep and Id try to sleep in the downstairs bed. He told me to wake up mom and call the midwife.

I went in and told mom the same thing I told Dermot and that Id come and get her when I needed her, and then sent Elke a text at 11:42pm. And she replied that she was on her way.

Hi. Im thinking this is it. Lost a good big of plug, slightly bloody. Have some loose stools. Two gushes of liquid. Strong contractions that peak and then go down. Going to start timing them. When should I call you?

I went back to the bathroom and lost the rest of my water, and headed downstairs to the living room. I could feel the contractions pretty strong and was excited, and starting to get nervous. Mom came down within a few minutes. I recorded my first contraction at 11:43pm. It was 1 minute and 15 seconds. Within the next 5 minutes the contractions were constant. Still had peaks, but didnt really give me a rest.

I was shaking, sweating like crazy, feeling like I needed to throw up, and thinking that this was just the beginning. Thats what scared me the most thinking that this pain was only going to get worse. I just kept moving around the living room, trying to distract myself, but not able to. By 12:00 I was insisting that I needed to go to the hospital for an epidural. Dermot and Mom were trying to remind me that I did not want to go, that I had planned for this, prepared for this, but I was very insistent and was starting to get more and more firm. Finally, they left the room to get the bags, etc. in the car. It felt like forever, but it was only a few minutes. I stopped timing my contractions at 12:10pm because I couldnt think about anything, really.

Dermot came in once to ask where something was and I was down on all fours. He asked me if I was pushing, and I said, I have to. And he said hed be right back. I was trying hard not to push because I thought it was too early, but thats not something thats easily held back. When he came back in I said, help! and launched myself around his neck, almost taking him to the ground with me! Again, he said hed be right back. I went down to the floor on hands and knees rocking back and forth and needing to push. I gave one pretty good push and felt down there to see what was happening and I felt her head! Once I realized that she was coming, I pushed, got a bit more of the head out, Dermot says he was standing in the doorway when she came all the way out in one smooth motion. I caught her in my arms and pulled her up to me right away, sitting back on my heels in total and complete shock. He ran for towels and Mom and me had us bundled up in no time.

We walked back to the back room and about that time Sarah came in. We had called her to come stay with Tara while we went to the hospital. She was just in time to see me stand up off the side of the bed and deliver the placenta. Oops. Then I just sat down on the floor, towels all around me, a bathrobe over my shoulders, holding my baby and waiting for the midwife. I was in such shock I wasnt really taking it all in.

When Elke came she took charge, cut the cord, got me into the shower, and weighed the baby. 7lbs 11oz. Then we all chatted for a while, taking pictures, texting, putting it on facebook. Elke left to take the student midwife Fionula to her car. When Elke got back, I went to the bathroom (felt so good to pee that much!) asked a few questions, and went to bed. It was around 3am. Then Dermot went to bed and then mom and I laid down here. I got some rest, even sleep, and now its not quite 10 hours later and Im typing this. Amazing.

Advertisement

Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow! Congratulations!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My Unexpected Unassisted Homebirth

Crashing from February. Marie that is FANTASTIC! My labors tend towards yours and I am hoping for a similar experience in February. Congrats!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

Marie! How exciting! Congratulations and I can't wait for pictures and a name!!! Try to get rest today!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Gothmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow! What an amazing birth!

This message won't self destruct in 30 seconds.
Gothmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great story. Congrats!

Sent from my droid
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Congrats! What an amazing story!

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Caz
Registered Users
Formerly: ccin***s
seller
seller

My Mood:

DDC from February!

Congrats, such a great birth story! Made me teary
Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow!! That is crazy Marie!!! Congrats!!! And you need to post a pic of her in those retro heart longies I'd love to see our longies getting loved by someone else!

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ddc from august!

Congrats mama!!! I had a very similar hb, but my mw arrived just asbi was crowning. Eerr, butting, since he was breech, haha.

'Smartphone' approved