Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
kharvey92611
Registered Users
seller

what made you decide to homeschool?

hey ladies! so I am wondering what made you decide to homeschool say over sending your kids to private or public school? I have two boys my oldest is 5 and currently attending kindergarten at our local school. Its a VERY small school about 140 in grades pre k -12 .... I debated ALOT on the subject of a small christian based school to homeschooling. It makes it tough because I co parent with DS1 father and he isnt very ...well isn't too concerend with education and wanted DS to go to the local public school because he attended it.... I am not too sure on this school as though the teacher to student ratio is small it IMO doesnt do well in preparing kids for college . TIA

Advertisement

kharvey92611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: what made you decide to homeschool?

Initially we decided to HS b/c one of our kids has health problems that may be embarassing for him in a public school setting. We grew to love the idea for a number of other reasons as well. A big factor is keeping them "children" as long as we can and not having them over exposed or growing up too fast. DS1 is very hyper so I feel like he'd be in trouble a lot at public school. Probably a million more other reasons but those are some biggies.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
kharvey92611
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7
Initially we decided to HS b/c one of our kids has health problems that may be embarassing for him in a public school setting. We grew to love the idea for a number of other reasons as well. A big factor is keeping them "children" as long as we can and not having them over exposed or growing up too fast. DS1 is very hyper so I feel like he'd be in trouble a lot at public school. Probably a million more other reasons but those are some biggies.
My DS1 is super hyper as well .... I worry how he will do in public school . My ex took high school as a joke and I'm not kidding was given answers to test ! By his his teachers ! He finds it funny ! Which in return has me worried on how he will handle things with me if DS1 has issues
Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We homeschool for many reasons.

One being that our state is worst in the nation in public education. It is seriously awful.

The other is that I want my kids to be kids. They have more time to do that being home.

Another is family time. We really value our time together as a family.

I also know my kids learn best at a pace that works for them. Having them here allows me to teach at their pace and meet their goals when they want to.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

We hs for a lot of reasons. ktmelody listed a few that are big ones for us as well.

Our backstory; I lived in Canada until I was 11, in the 5th grade, and when I moved to the US it was a MAJOR culture shock. I felt like I was ripped out of my childhood and thrown in among teenagers. The peer presure was so intense, and I was ridiculed and humiliated by kids and teachers. It was bad. So needless to say after that school did me very little good.
DH didn't do well in school. He was advanced, loved school and made good grades until about 5th or 6th, then he just got too bored and started with attention problems, started failing and ended up dropping out of school.

SO.... our reasons are that we want our kids to be able to be kids. We want them to have more free time than what school would allow. We don't want our kids subjected to peer pressure every day. I think if they were in a classroom with other kids all day the focus would come off of the school work and onto the socializing, and with my kids it would be TOO much on the social aspect. We want our kids to be able to move at their own pace, comfortably. We also feel very strongly about what they should learn, when and what information they should be given. An example of that is doing a casual grazing over of Thanksgiving every year. I think that over the years that creates a buffer between how they view it and what actually happened. We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving beyond just being grateful to God for our friends, family and a dinner together, so I don't thin kthey need to learn about the pilgrims and Indians until they are ready for the whole thing. yk?

We tried out a private Christian school last year with ds in prek. He liked the class, loved the teacher and the kids, enjoyed it overall, but he would come home tired, crabby, fight with his sister and basically just take the day out on us. Even though it was only a 4 hour day it took pretty much everything he had out of him. The mornings turned into a battle because he wanted to play. The structure was too much for him and I think at a young age a child benefits much more from a relaxed schedule than a rigid demanding one.

eta~Another reason I'm not so keen on the Christian school is similar to the example with Thanksgiving. It seems to me, esp in the south, that it's easy to fall into living the "church life"... I'm not going to go into detail about what I mean by that. But I don't want my kids to grow up that way. I think that grazing over Bible stories over and over and making cutesy crafts and filling in colorful pictures are not a good way to learn about God. I would rather them be surrounded by all kinds of people, all the time, and learn about who God is in that context.

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 09-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We homeschool for many reasons, a few of which are:

We want our kids to be kids. We want them to play, explore, and not be subjected to topics that they shouldn't be too early on.

We don't want them subjected to intense peer pressure

We want them to get a good education and with the downfall of many public schools
that wouldn't happen

We want them to be able to explore things that interest them while still obtaining a good education and with homeschooling I can alter activities/schedules to spend more time on what excites/interests them.

We want them to set the pace, so if that means going faster for some things and slower for others, we will do that. Case in point, DS will be 5 in a few weeks and we started him on Kindergarten curriculum a month ago because he was ready and was advanced over a preschool/pre-k level. The public schools out here would not let him enroll should we have wanted him in public school because he isn't "old enough".

We like education to be a family thing and we get to have more family time this way. DH and I can both teach certain things and then we let the kids explore and learn on their own about other things.

We want education, family, religion, life, etc. to all be intertwined and teach our kids that we don't have to compartmentalize different things because many areas can all interact with each other at one time.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Part of it is religious... we wanted to be able to teach our children about our beliefs in a positive setting. Part of it is that our kids are very much "free range" kids and I just couldn't see my free kids thriving in an oppressive setting like public school (DH and I both come from PS). And part of it was just to keep them "young". I feel like kids just grow up too fast anyway. I see kids younger than my son with cell phones, ipods, "boyfriends/girlfriends", etc... My son still watches PBS Kids and plays with Legos and reads Hardy Boys. I prefer him that way. <3

I guess essentially homeschooling was just the natural next step in our parenting style.
Jedimomma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Many things. 1. we don't have private schools here that aren't religious. My DH went to a religious school and is against them. Our public schools are in horrible conditions, lack of funding, materials not being updated and so on. ds1 also has ADHD and needs more activities in a day than most kids. He doesn't sit for long periods of time and I don't want him to be "that kid" to the teachers. And the food in schools, yuck. So really just the lack of quality the schools are in my area, and I also want my kids to have a wider education than what a public school offers.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

A short list .

1) Is our love for the Lord and the want to honor him with our daily lives.

2) We want our children to have the time to play ,grow, explore and enjoy it!

3) We want their innocence to last as long as possible.

4) We want our children to be who they are ! We don't want them to have to try and fit into a mold.

5) The flexibility! DH works out of town 90% of the year and Homechooling allows us to spend more time with him.

6) The public schools in our area are severely lacking the ability to give a quality education.

7) We highly dislike the "teach for the test" method.

8) We want our children to learn at their own pace.

9) We want to watch our children grow and learn.

10) We love the time we get to spend together.

Last edited by AbbieJack; 09-13-2012 at 12:21 AM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't plan to hs forever so my reasons are for our situation right now; I also don't hs my older ds because we co-parent him and his dad would NEVER allow it.

1. I couldn't imagine sending my 5 year old to sit in a class for 7 hours a day when we learn the same things and more (MUCH more) in less than 2 hours.

2. We are military and will be moving in the summer. We wanted to hs so there is consistency for the k and 1st years while we move around.

3. Over crowding. There are 8 classes of 22 students in the ps he would attend.

4. I wanted to keep him inocent a little longer. LOL

5. Family time

6. I love it!!!!