Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

I could go on for hours about why we homeschool. Originally it was largely for the academic side, and I knew DD1 tried to blend in wherever she went, which was a big concern. Now, since she has gotten older, the religious piece of it is more prominent, along with family time and taking control of our schedules.

That's the short story of it all.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

Advertisement

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: what made you decide to homeschool?

For me this is something that is so hard to put into words. I don't hardly know what to say when someone asks, because there are so many reasons and factors that come into play. AbbieJack's list does a really good job at summing up several of our reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
A short list .

1) Is our love for the lord and the want to honor him with our daily lives.

2) We want our children to have the time to play ,grow, explore and enjoy it!

3) We want their innocence to last as long as possible.

4) We want our children to be who they are ! We don't want them to have to try and fit into a mold.

5) The flexibility! DH works out of town 90% of the year and Homechooling allows us to spend more time with him.

6) The public schools in our area are severely lacking the ability to give a quality education.

7) We highly dislike the "teach for the test" method.

8) We want our children to learn at their own pace.

9) We want to watch our children grow and learn.

10) We love the time we get to spend together.
My DH does not work out of town, but Thursdays (and Sundays) is his day off instead of the more typical Saturday. That would be awful if the kids were in PS, but works out nicely for us now. Probably our very main reason is that after much thought and prayer, we feel like this is the way God would have us to raise our children. The list just keeps going from there, it's a long one, and seems to get longer all the time!
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
gerka528
Registered Users
seller

We homeschool for many of the reasons already posted. Another is that the elementary school on base has 1250 kids for K-5. That is waaaay too big of an elementary school IMO. They do keep the classes smaller with less than 20 kids per teacher, but then there were 12 K classes this year. Also school starts at 7:15, way too early for my 5 and 6 year olds to be at school. So those reasons solidified my resolve to try homeschooling this year and so far we are loving it!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My main big reasons:

Safety: I couldn't handle being a parent waiting outside the school while my children were inside facing a fire, gunman, bomb ect... I have to keep my kids close by so I can keep them as safe as I can. My two oldest went to ps for 2 and 3 years k-2. I pulled my daughters out after fellow student threatened my oldest dd that she was going to kill her and her little sister if she didn't bring a particular doll to school the following day and give it to her. She had explicit details on how she would do it and how easy it was. The school was shocked and told her "that wasnt very nice...." I pulled them out and we have hs ever since.

Morals: the lack of morals of young people today horrifies me. I want my girls protected from that pressure.

Time: I don't want my kids spending more time with strangers than with their family. 8 hrs away from home..+ a couple hours of hw time..then it's time for bed. when was I supossed to have time with them?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Let's see, my summary would be:
- We can't afford private school
- We don't like our local school district & we can't move
- Homeschooling allows our kids to learn at their own pace

There are SO many reasons, but those are some of the top ones.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think kids need hardcore schooling at age five. I do teach my kids before and during that time frame but we don't start the hardcore learning until age eight. As a bonus, staying home protects them from the kids who've been indoctrinated from birth, which is pretty much the majority here.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not HSing yet but it's a non-negotiable for us.

1. Morals, as previously stated. The things that go on in PS scare the poo out of me.
2. American standards of education are subpar, imho.
3. I disagree with the system of passing a child through curriculum uniformly (4th grade made, 4th grade english, 4th grade science, etc) and based almost solely on their calendar age.
4. I want our religion to be incorporated into our curriculum but can't afford private school (and I have never heard anything nice about it from graduates of private schools anyway).
5. PS does not typically offer foreign language in elementary school. Ridiculous, again, imho.
6. I disagree with American school schedules and would prefer to school year-round.
7. I don't even understand what PS do for EIGHT HOURS. As pp said, I can accomplish the same and more in a quarter of the time.
8. I want DS to learn at his own pace and to be able to focus on his interests, not on what's going to be on the next standardized test.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Not HSing yet but it's a non-negotiable for us.

1. Morals, as previously stated. The things that go on in PS scare the poo out of me.
2. American standards of education are subpar, imho.
3. I disagree with the system of passing a child through curriculum uniformly (4th grade made, 4th grade english, 4th grade science, etc) and based almost solely on their calendar age.
4. I want our religion to be incorporated into our curriculum but can't afford private school (and I have never heard anything nice about it from graduates of private schools anyway).
5. PS does not typically offer foreign language in elementary school. Ridiculous, again, imho.
6. I disagree with American school schedules and would prefer to school year-round.
7. I don't even understand what PS do for EIGHT HOURS. As pp said, I can accomplish the same and more in a quarter of the time.8. I want DS to learn at his own pace and to be able to focus on his interests, not on what's going to be on the next standardized test.
I so agree with this!!! My oldest ds has always gone to ps and I still can't tell you what most of the day is spent doing. I ask the teachers what's the difference between "advanced" math/LA and "regular" math/LA and they can't tell me. It is so mind numbing.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
proudmommyjen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
A short list .

1) Is our love for the Lord and the want to honor him with our daily lives.

2) We want our children to have the time to play ,grow, explore and enjoy it!

3) We want their innocence to last as long as possible.

4) We want our children to be who they are ! We don't want them to have to try and fit into a mold.

5) The flexibility! DH works out of town 90% of the year and Homechooling allows us to spend more time with him.

6) The public schools in our area are severely lacking the ability to give a quality education.

7) We highly dislike the "teach for the test" method.

8) We want our children to learn at their own pace.

9) We want to watch our children grow and learn.

10) We love the time we get to spend together.
This is what our list of reasons looks like too. Especially #5, My husband is military and just left for his 5th deployment. If my daughter was in public school, she would have missed the fun week we spent with daddy before he left. She was able to be there to send him off too, which meant a lot to both of them. And she doesn't miss out on our almost daily Skype sessions around lunch time!

proudmommyjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

Lots of reasons, most of them have already been said here. The "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak, was the amount of time she was spending on schoolwork when she went to K at a charter school last year. She'd start the day awfully, because we all hate early mornings here, go to school, come home exhausted at 3:30, have to do homework, then dinner, bed, repeat. She had no time to play or explore or get good quality family time.

Now, we have plenty. (too much? LOL) All of a sudden she's BFF's with her brother- something I thought would NEVER happen. She is better behaved and more compliant. She is learning all kinds of other things she wouldn't have been able to (sewing, gardening, woodworking, seriously a ton of oddball things!) because we have time to conquer whatever the day throws at us after we finish our whopping 2-3 hours of school. And "school" generally consists of things that she thinks are great fun anyway. All in all, she's a much happier, smarter, and better behaved child. I wouldn't go back.