Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Doing it all???

I know this is a common theme with homeschoolers, but we just started back to school this week and the housework is OUT OF HAND!! I know we haven't hit our groove for the year yet (my middle child started "school" this year too, so there's a new dynamic of course). But how do you keep up with everything. I have a DS8, DD3, and DD10mo. I have figured out a pretty good routine for keeping the school day moving and keeping things interesting and fun, but the dishes/laundry are piling up, the living room is cluttered with toys, I don't even want to walk into any of the bedrooms.... Oy...

Advice?? I'll try anything!

Advertisement

Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doing it all???

We don't do all day schooling so I clean some in the afternoon and then in the evening. The toy room is the boys' responsability and they have to clean it 2-3 times a week.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We haven't figured out our groove yet either, partially because I have to get work done during the day too...but school takes us MAYBE two hours right now. Not very helpful, but wanted to give some encouraging words that your not the only one
Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

we have am AM chore time and a PM one if everyone pitches in for 30 mintues we get more big things accomplished in those two blocks other things like laundry ect is tackled as the days go..

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We assign several chores to the kids and that helps. I also do lots of stuff during nap and after the kids go to bed.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't speak for everyone else, but I know that this is something I struggle with for sure! It just never seems like there is enough time for everything. I do try to cut back on outside obligations and keep our family very un-scheduled as far as all the extras so that helps some. Other than that my best advice would be delegate. Remember as your kids get older to rework the chore list. The 8 YO can do quite a bit of stuff if you give him instruction (if he is not already) and the 3 YO can be doing some stuff and learning how to do more. I had a good system worked out by the end of last year, and somehow over the summer everything went to pot. I've got to get back to it! I would also say most people could lower their expectations some, the house does not have to be spotless. This certainly isn't an issue for me....we live far away from "spotless" and a little too close to "pigpen" lol. But do keep in mind that homeschooler's houses are going to be used so much more than the typical house that have both parents away at work and the kids at daycare/school. It's going to get messy. Lately I have also been trying to declutter....you know those toys on the living room floor? Here if your things aren't put up and I am sweeping, they get swept away. Harsh, but it works! And really, how many toys do you need? I have been trying to sort through our stuff because we have SOOO many toys/clothes/books/ect. that a lot of it never (or very rarely) gets used. The less you have, the less you have to clean. And of course things will get better as the year goes on and you settle into the new routine. Take my advice with a grain of salt though--I'm probably messier than you!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I seriously doubt it! lol We are very very messy! I am able to tolerate some mess. We're bound to have more clutter because our entire school is in our house, in addition to all our other stuff. And we're bound to have more mess because we're here all the time, playing, learning, doing science experiements, etc.. But there's a certain level where normal homeschool mess becomes "call the social services" filth. lol

Ack. I have more to say, but I have a crying baby who

keeps hitt
ing the enter key

Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Well...we don't. I don't keep up w/everything. There is no way. I would go insane trying to manage it. Generally, I wait until DH is home in the evening or weekends to really do anything. Or I do it once the kids are in bed. Occasionally, naps/quiet time for all 3 kids overlap, and I do things then.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

I have de-cluttered. 8 nice sized boxes donated, a couple of dumpsters filled. Now even when its messy its relatively easy to put things in order. I've been working on my DS on cleaning his room and making his bed, he's 7 but has had some motor skill challenges, so he's a bit behind in somethings. Since I got rid of so much of the extra stuff and everything, i mean EVERYTHING has a place thats not crammed full, it hasnt been hard to keep up with things. Getting TO the decluttered place has been challenging. But I've found that when the house is messy school goes terribly and we get nothing done but fighting. When it's easy to just sweep up the breakfast crumbs and jump right in with no distractions, we do quite well. It's taking 3-4 hours right now for 1st grade. Thats generally with a lunch break and a half hour bike ride in the mornings. I'd like to get it down more, but with my almost 3 yo interrupting a lot, it is what is. I have to go clean up the tornadic messes she makes in their room in the evenings. But really, decluttering any and all things we had that were excessive have made this a lot easier. Now, ask me again in a month and see if I've been able to maintain it!!!!!!

ETA; I am not naturally a clean, organized and decluttered person. This has been something I've had to MAKE myself do in order to provide the structure my son needs. He has ADHD tendencies, and needs a schedule and order or he doesn't function because of the mess and chaos. My daughter? she seems completely unaffected by messes in general.

Last edited by jamiejo; 09-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.
jamiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
7mom7
Registered Users

I agree with the decluttering comments. I don't hang on to school papers or church artwork unless it is super cute scrapbook stuff. A photocopied paper with some scribbles goes into the trash when the kids aren't looking. They don't even notice. My goal is to start each morning with a clean house...for me this means HS room (which is also our toy room) is clean and organized, beds made (usually), empty dishwasher, and everything in its place. I'm not OCD organized or anything and I've got some pretty junky junk drawers but I have to have a fairly clean home to stay productive throughout the day. The kids help clean their areas before bed, DH helps with dishes, I help the kids clean and do the other rooms besides the kitchen. I try to do one load of laundry a day. Wash, dry, and put it away. If i stick to this system I stay fairly caught up on laundry. I can't focus when my house is a mess so I try to stay on top of keeping things in their place. I hardly ever dust b/c it takes FOREVER and I tend to do bathrooms or big cleaning when I notice it is dirty, there isn't a rhyme or reason to it. My kids are young but they are responsible for putting their laundry in the dirty clothes, cleaning their room, cleaning the toy/school area. DS1 has the chore of sweeping the kitchen. He's still learning so I typically have to go behind him to help but eventually he'll take over all of the sweeping and mopping as he gets older.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote