Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My two year old is SO LOUD.

My son turned 2 in July. He is so very loud. He's a yeller and a screecher. Happy or mad, he loves to hear himself and make sure the whole world hears him, too. It's not 100% of the time or anything, but it's a LOT. It gets worse when he's tired, and sometimes he does it for attention (but only occasionally). It's throughout the entire day, though.

It's especially frustrating now that we have a newborn in the house. He's constantly waking her up. Sometimes it's so loud that it must hurt her ears.

I have tried whispering, I have tried explaining it hurts our ears, I have tried having him go upstairs into his bedroom if he needs to yell, I have tried having him use his small voice, etc. and nothing works (at least not long term, sometimes it will work for a minute but a few minutes later he'll shout again).

I don't think it's a hearing problem, either. He has no trouble hearing quiet noises, whispers, etc. and he has a great vocabulary and talks a ton.

Any advice on how to deal with this? Or am I just destined to have a loud kid? It's getting embarrassing to take him out in public sometimes. He's a go-go-go rambunctious little toddler, but I don't know if there's anything I can do to at least help him lower the volume a bit. I'd appreciate any input from those of you who have dealt with this.

Advertisement

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My two year old is SO LOUD.

One day a loud-mouth frog was hopping through the forest. He saw a huge alligator and he yelled, "HEY MISTER ALLIGATOR WHAT DO YOU EAT?"
And the alligator growled, "Loud-mouth frogs."
The frog replied, quietly, "okay."

Okay it's much better when you do it out loud...
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DD is the same way. She used to wake up DS, but he's pretty much learned to sleep through her noise (he's 4.5 mo).

DH's family is SUPER loud, so I think she just takes after him. I'm hoping it's just a stage and she'll quiet down at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower
One day a loud-mouth frog was hopping through the forest. He saw a huge alligator and he yelled, "HEY MISTER ALLIGATOR WHAT DO YOU EAT?"

I like that!

I have no advice. My kids are loud too.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My two year old is SO LOUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower View Post

ha! Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga View Post
My DD is the same way. She used to wake up DS, but he's pretty much learned to sleep through her noise (he's 4.5 mo).

DH's family is SUPER loud, so I think she just takes after him. I'm hoping it's just a stage and she'll quiet down at some point.
Yeah, my DH is pretty loud. We actually talked about that last night... that we need to work on having a quieter household (all of us, but especially DH). I have noticed that our son tends to be louder when he's around him, but I don't think that's the real source or anything, it just makes it worse. DH is just a loud dude with a big voice.

DS is also louder and more excitable around my mom, who is a wonderful grandma but things tend to be overly fun with her and it's often a zoo (especially at her house). She's not super loud, but she's very energetic and DS gets pretty hyper around her. She also lets more slide, since she's the fun grandma and doesn't always follow our boundaries. The three of us went to Target yesterday and it was definitely the loudest he's ever been there. I know she won't change so there's no sense trying there (and really, he's lucky to have a fun grandma who is involved, even if it's frustrating at times).

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 09-18-2012 at 09:42 AM.
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote