Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Hellga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Walmart 88 Prenatals?

I've been taking these while we ttc, just because it's recommended to take some kind of prenatal during that time, but are they good enough for during pregnancy? I don't know exactly what amounts of everything the vitamins are supposed to have.

Attachment 119411

Attachment 119412

What do you think? Should I be supplementing with extra vitamins? Or just switching? If I should switch, can you recommend a good one that isn't terribly pricy? Our finances are all screwy for the next few weeks due to job changes (I'm used to weekly paychecks and am switching to a monthly paycheck, so 3 weeks of not getting a check!!) and I can't afford $15 vitamins right now :/

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Slowly but surely making money with Swagbucks!

Last edited by Hellga; 01-25-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Hellga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Walmart 88 Prenatals?

I think they are fine. I am not taking any prenatals my midwife said just eat a varied diet and you can take any multiviatimen. I amhowever in a different country.

Ithink they are fine, higher price does not neccessarily equate better quality.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I know nothing about those, but do you have insurance? My dr told me there are free prescription prenatal vitamins now (there weren't when I was pregnant with DS and he is only 2 now) and wrote a script. Indeed they are free....and I am NOT on any kind of state insurance or low income or what have you.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Hellga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have insurance, but it doesn't cover anything maternity related, even going to the dr just to get a script for prenatals. I'm only 5 weeks and my first appointment isn't till 10 weeks, and I'll be applying for Medicaid then and can hopefully get some prescription ones then...meanwhile, this is what I have :/

I actually did buy an $8 bottle of generic gummy prenatals at Dillons about a month ago but they rolled under the seat in the car while I was driving home, and I found them the next day...a big gooey mass of melted gummy in the bottom of the bottle >_< I was so sad!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Slowly but surely making money with Swagbucks!
Hellga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I think I have read here that a lot of people use rainbow vitamins? Something to look into? Don't quote me on that, I am not positive.

I started on the prenatals when we started TTC, so that's why the doc went ahead and prescribed them and I had the script already.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took cheap prenatals with my 2nd pregnancy and I ended up having a lot of complications with my son's health. I'm not saying it was the prenatals...but I had been pregnant with and/or nursing my daughter up until I was several months pregnant with my son, and even though I was eating well....I'm pretty sure my body was depleted. I sometimes wonder if he wouldn't have had all of those problems if I had invested in a good quality prenatal? I started using food based prenatal vitamins after that and have taken them ever since and will continue to do so until we are unable to have more children.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I loved rainbow light prenatal one. They can be pricey but a big bottle on amazon is pretty reasonable.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There have been numerous studies on how vitamins break down and are absorbed by the body. Many vitamins, even expensive ones, are absolute crap. If I recall correctly, there are ways you can test for this at home. I read somewhere that you should put one in water for a day and see that it completely dissolves, or something like that. I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth a Google search.

I personally alternate back and forth between Rainbow Light Organic Prenatals & New Chapter Perfect Prenatals. I've never "tested" either but I'm very happy with the reviews I have read for each of them. I think alternating between two kinds probably helps even the odds, maybe that's just in my head though.

Last edited by ashley84; 09-13-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: fixed broken link
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
lilangel8185
Registered Users
seller

They should be fine, a lot of generic medicines are the same exact thing as the namebrands, some even are manufactured by the same makers with different lables.
lilangel8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am sure they are fine! I can't take anything but gummy vitamins because everything else upsets my stomach... i wish i could do 88 vitamins!