Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! How do you juggle preschool kids?

My 4yo DD was just accepted in to a preschool that starts in two weeks. She will be there from 12:30 - 3pm Mon-Fri. BUT, I also have a 2 yo son who still needs daycare while we are at work. So, HOW in the world do you juggle getting one kid to and from school? How do normal working people handle this? I feel like our only option is to get a nanny who can watch them in the mornings and then transport DD to and from school while I'm at work, but that is going to be $$$ and I'm not sure how I feel about someone in my home. Am I just being a ditz or is there some way every other working person on Earth has figured out how to do this that doesn't involve leaving in the middle of their work day?

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! How do you juggle preschool kids?

Do u know a stay at home parent that could help u? I have neighbor that we do stuff like that 4 each other. If her youngest is sleeping right at the time to get her oldest from school I get since not far from us & I'm getting my kid at the same school too. I have done same with others too.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dh and I work opposite shifts so we can manage this, and my parents did the same. Ds starts half day kindy in a few weeks and dh will be rather sleep deprived, especially when baby arrives in the winter. But we have family offering to help us out.

My oldest sister was able to find a daycare for her kids that would pick them up from half day kindergarten and watch them until she got out of work at 4 pm. Is that an option for you? Do you have family or close friends you can trust?
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
lovemygirlseques
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had the twins in a preschool that was walking distance & a nanny who walked them there. She would then be home with my little one. She didn't drive so I was limited in where the could go.

Now that the twins are going to be in 1st grade I have them in aftercare and the little one in full day preschool.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
hikergal73
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've been wondering the same thing since DD will be starting preschool two days a week in the morning and I have a 13 month old who needs care, too. I work three days a week so the day that DD is in preschool, I plan to have DS in daycare as normal and DD will have a sitter for the afternoon after she finishes school. Still a pain but I figure it's still cheaper to have DS in daycare and only have to hire a sitter for the afternoon for one kid.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

We have the nanny who can drive but can't find a preschool! I'd check to see if anyone in her class is a SAHM who wouldn't mind picking her up and keeping her with her kid for some extra cash.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

For mine, younger went to all day DC, older went to morning school, and DH and I took turns taking older to same DC for afternoons. Then we picked them both up after work.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons View Post
Do u know a stay at home parent that could help u? I have neighbor that we do stuff like that 4 each other. If her youngest is sleeping right at the time to get her oldest from school I get since not far from us & I'm getting my kid at the same school too. I have done same with others too.
We just moved here two weeks ago, I know absolutely NO one in this town yet and I'm not very good at meeting people, either...I know there are a couple other moms on my street but I can't be all like, "Hey, nice to meet you! Want to take my kid to school every day?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Dh and I work opposite shifts so we can manage this, and my parents did the same. Ds starts half day kindy in a few weeks and dh will be rather sleep deprived, especially when baby arrives in the winter. But we have family offering to help us out.

My oldest sister was able to find a daycare for her kids that would pick them up from half day kindergarten and watch them until she got out of work at 4 pm. Is that an option for you? Do you have family or close friends you can trust?
DH and I work opposite shifts, too, but I still can't figure out how that will work. If I leave it all on his shoulders, he would only get like three hours of sleep every day, and I don't think I can afford to leave work three hours early each day to pick her up (I work until 6). I have a very helpful family, but they all work during the day too. I'm just not sure how to negotiate this new schedule....though I really, really want DD to go to this preschool because I think she would absolutely love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlillie View Post
We have the nanny who can drive but can't find a preschool! I'd check to see if anyone in her class is a SAHM who wouldn't mind picking her up and keeping her with her kid for some extra cash.
Anyone want to help me figure out how to do this in the most tactful way possible? As I mentioned previously, I know no one here and I'm not sure how to figure out what moms even belong to the kids in DD's class, let alone if they want to watch my kid. Besides, I would still have my DS to worry about too - he's only 2 and would need all-day care. It would be AMAZING if I could find a SAHM who wanted to take on both my kids, I'm just not sure how to find them....?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #9
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

care.com, craigslist, bulletin board at school, religious organization (even to just call and see if they know someone looking for extra cash).

Also, could you take lunch at the time he needed to be dropped off so the careprovider doesn't have to load the kids in the car? And pick him up on the way home?

tactful-no. I'd just bluntly ask if anyone provides that kind of care at your first meeting about it. Some lady will probably want to help you find someone even if she doesn't provide the service.

Last edited by wlillie; 08-04-2012 at 02:29 AM.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with pp. DF found that another girls Grandpa picked her up from preschool and dropped her at daycare everyday, and he was totally fine with taking DSD from school to daycare too. Maybe ask at your daycare if they know anyone else going to the same preschool?