Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It happened again Update #11

My saga continues and it is just worse. Every time I see some light at the end of the tunnel, the tunnel gets five times longer. I honestly did not think that my prior knowledge of kidney stones and prior history of them would cause such a problem out here. In NC, I may have gotten crappy doctors, but at least they took care of me. (9/12/12)

So I had another appt with my OB this AM. As I was leaving I noticed that my kidney started hurting pretty bad. I asked to see my OB before I left because I didn't want to start the 55mile drive until I had some peace of mind about my stones. It wasn't even 5 mins later when it started to hurt BAD. The nurse took me in to a room to lay down. I had to wait until he was done with a patient and then he came in. He listened and asked if we should start out with an IV. I said yes. I got the IV and was at a 7/8 until about an hour later when the pain stopped. I was told I couldn't leave until my IV bag was empty. It did about 40 mins later and I started my 55 miles drive home.

I didn't even make it 6 miles to the highway before m kidney started hurting again. I made a deal with myself if it was back up to a 7 then I would drive myself to the hospital. Well when I was about 10miles from home, my kidney started back up in pain. So I told DH that I was going to head to the ER.

Got to the ER and my pain was still at a 7 but the pain NEVER let up. I told them and I thought I would be put higher than someone who had the sniffles. I was wrong. That started my first suspicion. Then I waited 2 hours for a bed. Then the pain erupted about an hour after I got to my room. I was a 9/10 at that point. I even called the nurse call button because it hurt so bad. NO ONE CAME! I was even told by my nurse that the most they could give me was Tylenol. I then txted DH to come be with me as I was in to much pain to advocate for myself. He sent my mom instead. Not that she didn't help but I did NOT want to deal with her. She actually did a great job. She got the doc for me and would tell them how bad it was when I couldn't. And yet it still took forever to get my pain meds. Suspicion #2.

Then the pain came back and the nausea started and then the heartburn exploded. I guessed it was due to not eating for 11 hours. I got some more Morphine, some Protonix and more Phenerghen. And it just seemed like I really had to justify my pain to get pain relief. I got my U/S of my kidney and bebe and we saw bebe moving and wiggling. Then I got overheated and felt horrific. Then after what I think was pain meds #3, the pain broke. It was nice to be out of pain after being in it fr 7 hours straight.

So the doc comes in and says that no stone was stuck and he wasn't sure my pain was due to my stone. Suspicion #3. Then I got my paperwork. It said I was seen for abdominal pain. Suspicion #4.

I am so tired of being treated like a drug-seeker. I guess I really have to get in to see the Pain Management doc that I have been trying to get in for 4 weeks now. I just want immediate pain relief without having to wait and wait because the hospital thinks I want to get high.

At least baby is ok! Though I was told over and over that all the meds I was taking were bad for the baby. I think being in 8-10/10 pain for 7 hours was MUCH worse. As the pain tried to kick DD out at 26weeks.

Advertisement

Last edited by kaylabelle05; 09-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: It happened again

I'm so sorry to hear you were in so much pain! I can't even imaging how frustrating it must be to be in so much pain, go somewhere for help and then be treated like that! I hope and pray that you are able to find a doctor who can give you some help/answers soon!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So the stone is now stuck in the urethra. Thank goodness it isn't spiky or it would HURT! But while that one is stuck there it seems there is another one trying to makes its debut into the world.

But at least some good news. Once this stone passes, I can collect it and take it to the hospital and shove in their disbelieving faces. I can't wait for it honestly because they act like I am just coming in for drugs. Because I ask for drugs EVERY time I go in! Oh that is right, it is for pain. And I do refuse a prescription for any and all narcotics for home use.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
calleiah
Registered Users
seller

Just an idea should you have anymore issues that require a trip to the ER. Have your doctor write out/type out a protocol for those visits. That way, they know you're not a drug seeker and that it's a continuing issue that your doctor is aware of and working with you on. It might help get you treated faster and with less suspicion.
calleiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calleiah View Post
Just an idea should you have anymore issues that require a trip to the ER. Have your doctor write out/type out a protocol for those visits. That way, they know you're not a drug seeker and that it's a continuing issue that your doctor is aware of and working with you on. It might help get you treated faster and with less suspicion.
Oooh I like that idea! I can get my doc to write something without much needed. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

That is a good Idea... hopefully it works. It sucks that we live in a world where this is even an issue.

Hopefully the pain eases up and you can get some relief. Sucks to deal with this at such an important time.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

While I will be asking my doc to help out with the note, I am not sure I will be able to stay out of the ER this weekend. I woke up with my kidney hurting. I am hoping to stave it off with water but if it "explodes", I won't have a choice.

So I will be writing up something for a doc to read (including my doc on Tues) that says what happened in the past and what I need to feel better.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is an excerpt:
This is stating what works on me when I have an attack.

Quote:
1. I would get seen hopefully quickly. I will only come in to the ER at a 7-10/10 pain level.
2. I get a heplock where labs are drawn and I get hooked up to an IV.
3. I then see a doctor who listens to my symptoms and agrees I need pain control. I found that Demerol works the best on my pain but I only have received Morphine since my 2nd ER visit in March 2005. I cannot take Dilaudid as it causes severe reactions (projectile vomiting, hallucinations, and shaking)
4. Shortly after the doctor puts in my orders, a nurse comes in to give me my meds. Because of needing Benadryl and Phenergan with my Morphine, I need the Benadryl (25-50mg) and Phenergan (25mg) first. Morphine is at the doctor’s discretion but 4mg works for a starting off point.
5. Depending on the level of my pain and how long I have been in pain, I may need more than 1 dose of Morphine. Typically it is 3 doses. Though if the attack is bad, I have been admitted to a ward for 2-3 days for IV pain control
6. I do not need oral narcotics for pain. There is no need as I won’t take them.
Thanks for reading!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

D mannose and slippery elm are both good, they make the urinary tract good and slippery, a friend of mine passed her stones with no pain on the dmannose also kidney support probably wouldn't hurt. Mountain meadow herbs has a good kidney support formula that may help, you would need to check if it's safe to take in pregnancy.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I am glad I wrote that letter. I did end up going in around 5pm. It wasn't as bad as last week but still bad enough I needed 2 doses of Morphine. But on the plus side I actually had a good nurse and doctor who listened and did NOT act like I was there to get drugs. I even joked with the nurse saying, "Hi my name is Dagny and I cam here to get high!" She agreed with me that women typically don't come in pregnant asking for drugs to get high.