Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

Excited about new baby

I'm so excited!

Advertisement

Last edited by Lilybug1; 09-13-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Lilybug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
emkeegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just the 20 week sono to detect gross abnormalities (and gender!!). I didn't get any genetic testing done with my first either.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: What testing/screening will you be doing?

We just do the 18-20 week scan, for us though it's basically a gender scan.

We didn't do any other testing with DS and we already let the dr know we didn't plan to do it with this newbie either. She always says, if you're going to do it, ask yourself what you would do with the results first. Since we know we wouldn't kill our baby if something was wrong, we see no point in doing additional testing.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
We just do the 18-20 week scan, for us though it's basically a gender scan.

We didn't do any other testing with DS and we already let the dr know we didn't plan to do it with this newbie either. She always says, if you're going to do it, ask yourself what you would do with the results first. Since we know we wouldn't kill our baby if something was wrong, we see no point in doing additional testing.
Yea, that's the way I thought and that's why I skipped the screening with my first when I thought I was a normal pregnant lady. Now, that I know that we are not playing the same odds as the general population in that we have 50% chance of miscarrying and/or carrying a baby with unbalanced chromosomes, I feel like I would need to know for my two living kids what we are looking at in our future even if it is a later term loss or stillborn.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just the gender screening--I did genetic testing for dd--which I thought I got done with both ds's. but apparently not. We found out that I carried a certain gene and dh refused to get tested for that gene. I was a mess the entire pregnancy. If dh got tested and he was positive for that gene there was nothing they could have done about it. I guess they could have done further testing if we wanted but that would me harm to the fetus. The only way of knowing was after dd was born. I am thankful my dh has a way of calming me down, He has a very--it is our baby no matter what attitude. DD is perfectly healthy. I am just in a way glad that dh is so stubborn and hates needles.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had all the testing done with dd cuz we were under the care of the army hospital (socialized medicine). I haven't had any labs with this baby, nor have I discussed it with my doctor. It wouldn't make any difference except to know what we were facing I guess. Probably won't bother with it.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybug1

Yea, that's the way I thought and that's why I skipped the screening with my first when I thought I was a normal pregnant lady. Now, that I know that we are not playing the same odds as the general population in that we have 50% chance of miscarrying and/or carrying a baby with unbalanced chromosomes, I feel like I would need to know for my two living kids what we are looking at in our future even if it is a later term loss or stillborn.

I don't think she realized the way she said it could be taken offensively.

Unfortunately, I think some docs glance over reasons a low risk mom should have the tests done other than to abort the baby. My last OB and my current RE both told me what my risk was, what tests are available, what happens if I got a positive result (meaning more specific tests), that the tests were optional, and that I was legally allowed to abort the baby for a positive result up to 20 weeks in my state. Both mentioned that they legally had to inform us of those items. The didnt mention a single other thing. Given those statements, they certainly implied that you'd get these tests done to determine if you would like to continue the pregnancy even though I very much know thats NOT why most parents get the test done.

As for me, since I am low risk we will skip the 12 week tests. When/if my risk increases I will absolutely get them done. Preparation is key in my family.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please delete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post

I don't think she realized the way she said it could be taken offensively.
It's great that you give the benefit of the doubt, but I think there are other ways to say things, such as "we would not do anything about it in any case" and "we would keep the baby no matter what." The list goes on and on. I think we would not "kill our baby" makes a very specific point .

I don't care about anyone else's personal beliefs nor do I want to impose mine on others. It was a simple question: what screening/testing will you get done? It was totally unnecessary and it only the second response!

I think better just to delete the thread, but I don't know how?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

You can't delete it. And putting delete in the title is going to make it the most viewed post in the forum. See? I'm ddc crashing. Change the title to something boring.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Lilybug1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Excited about new baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
You can't delete it. And putting delete in the title is going to make it the most viewed post in the forum. See? I'm ddc crashing. Change the title to something boring.
Thanks. Tried that.