Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Name question

So if we have a boy we're set. Name has been picked out for years. If we have a girl though there's going to be a problem...

See I named our first, had her name picked before DH and I even started dating, lol. With our second we made a list; 1 name I liked, 1 DH liked, and one we both thought could work... My mother's day present that year was him letting me have my name. With this one he has held on to his name from last time and shoots down EVERYTHING else. The problem is the name... Calliope (kuh-lye-uh-pee). It's a greek goddess of something and it's a pretty name, just not, um, practical (hope I don't offend someone!). I'm just sure no one will ever pronounce it roght (though DH points out that ODD never gets her name pronounced right either, she ends up getting called lydia and lilian... drives me bonkers). I also don't think it fits well with the other names we have.

We have Lilia and Rosemary. The boy names we have picked out are Oliver and Henry... So lets say we have a girl next and name her Calliope and then have a boy. We'd have Lilia, Rosemary, Oliver and... Calliope?

Maybe I'm just way over thinking this. WWYD? Keep fighting DH or let him name baby something you don't really like?

Also, can anyone come up with a nickname for Calliope besides Callie?

Advertisement

ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Name question

all i think of is callie on grey's when i see calliope. that's her actual name but only her father and arizona call her that. i personally like calliope and i also don't think that your kids's names have to all go together. my hubby got to pick our son's name. his name is lucian maximus. now i LOVE the name lucian but i'm not the biggest fan of maximus and it still hasn't grown on me, lol. i'm getting to name this one since hubby got to name our son. i say just give him this one since you got the first name. i mean of course agree on one name but maybe have calliope as a middle name? if this is a girl her middle name will be piper because i LOVE that name but hubby not so much. we both agree on the first name though if it's a girl. see where i'm going with this?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Haha, that's what I think of too. We both like greek mythology so I keep teasing him that if we have a fourth girl I'll name her persephone, lol.

Lucian is an adorable name (I actually love piper too)! I'm with you on the maximus though

The problem is getting him to agree to a first name... I have lists... he just says 'no, no, no'. I may just have to cave like you said. Poor guy didn't even get to pick middle names, they both have names from my family.

Also I don't know why I feel like the names need to go together, I think I'll blame it on my OCD... I really wanted all the girls to have flower-related names (Lily and Rose) but the only ones left that I've come up with are obviously flowers, like violet and poppy, and DH isn't really into that.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Our naming relationship isn't like yours. If we both don't like a name then we don't use it. I'm also OCD about names having to go together. However, since you guys seem to have a give & take, I think it'd be ok to let him have the name he wants this time. I don't like the full name (it's just not my style) but Callie is a super cute nickname.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

I LOVE the name Calliope, but my DH HATES it! This has been on my name list the last 2 pregnancies. And I also like Callie...

I think fair is fair and since you got to name one, let him have this one. It really could be a much worse name! And maybe use your flowery name as a middle name, so that you can keep the *trend* within the FULL name. I know you have a daughter named Rosemary and if you don't call her *Rose*, I think Calliope Rose is beautiful.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

We had the SAME problem with this baby. I just did not give up. I went through every baby name list and book until we finally found a name we both loved. I personally think that if you are not in love with Calliope then I would not use it.

By the way, one of my DD's middle names is Lilia and we get people saying it wrong all the time. It bugs me too! It was a family name.

I also think that children's name should match. For our girls we picked short, classic and girly first names and family names for the middle. We wanted to keep the trend which was easy for a boy name but HARD for a third girl name. To keep your theme of flowers I like,
Lavender
Daisy
Iris
Calla
Dahlia
Zinnia or Zinnea
Heather
Jasmin
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

We had the SAME problem with this baby. I just did not give up. I went through every baby name list and book until we finally found a name we both loved. I personally think that if you are not in love with Calliope then I would not use it.

By the way, one of my DD's middle names is Lilia and we get people saying it wrong all the time. It bugs me too! It was a family name.

I also think that children's name should match. For our girls we picked short, classic and girly first names and family names for the middle. We wanted to keep the trend which was easy for a boy name but HARD for a third girl name. To keep your theme of flowers I like,
Lavender
Daisy
Iris
Calla
Dahlia
Zinnia or Zinnea
Heather
Jasmin
Holly
Old 09-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Maeve Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My advice...keep throwing names at him and if you find one you really like keep tossing it out there-it just might grow on him...

When DH and I were deciding on our first child's name he completely disliked almost EVERY thing I thought of. Finally I found the name Maeve(pronounced to rhyme with pave-some people pronounce it Mauve or May-ev). I loved this name and he flat our hated it...thought it was weird. Well after hearing sooo many "no's" I just said...this name is ON the table!

After some time he grew to like it and by the time our first was born and came out a girl he and I with out a second thought named her Maeve and we LOVED it.

Some times some things grow on you...and some times they don't but if you find something you love keep trying..it just might work out.

And as far as names going together...I am like that too. For instance we have Maeve and Eli-we will be choosing another older style name. And it most likely will not start with M or E because I don't like names with the same letter's...maybe is't because my mother names her three daughter Holly, Heather and Hayley

Last edited by Maeve Baby; 09-09-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Maeve Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve Baby View Post
And it most likely will not start with M or E because I don't like names with the same letter's...maybe is't because my mother names her three daughter Holly, Heather and Hayley
yes this drives me absolutely batty, sorry if i offend anyone, but there are 26 letters in the alphabet don't just use one of them. i could totally get on soap box about names and other things people do with their kids but i won't.

i'm gonna back pedal now and say the same that names don't have to go together for me but if you start strong the names should stay strong. like i said earlier, our son's name is lucian maximus and it is an extremely strong name and our last name just really rounds it out. so with this one if it's a girl she'll be aurelia piper, again our last name adds the last punch, and if it's a boy he'll be silas nicholai, yes our last name backs up this one as well. i'm all about fair and my hubby choose lu's name and i agreed with the first but not the middle but it works out just fine.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve Baby View Post
My advice...keep throwing names at him and if you find one you really like keep tossing it out there-it just might grow on him...

When DH and I were deciding on our first child's name he completely disliked almost EVERY thing I thought of. Finally I found the name Maeve(pronounced to rhyme with pave-some people pronounce it Mauve or May-ev). I loved this name and he flat our hated it...thought it was weird. Well after hearing sooo many "no's" I just said...this name is ON the table!

After some time he grew to like it and by the time our first was born and came out a girl he and I with out a second thought named her Maeve and we LOVED it.

Some times some things grow on you...and some times they don't but if you find something you love keep trying..it just might work out.

And as far as names going together...I am like that too. For instance we have Maeve and Eli-we will be choosing another older style name. And it most likely will not start with M or E because I don't like names with the same letter's...maybe is't because my mother names her three daughter Holly, Heather and Hayley
OMG... I've got a story for you...

My mom's name is Katrina; her sisters are Kathlene and Kristine.
My bio dad's name is Karl; his brothers are Kurt and Kelly.
Kurt married a woman named Kristy (I think? It was a K for sure) and named his kids Kori, Kira, and Kacey.
My parents had three kids and named us Koryn, Karlynn, and Knaudia (silent K because the novelty was wearing off but they didn't want her to feel left out).

Hence, I tend to dislike K names and will never use the same letter for all my kids. My family even teased my husband that he'd need to change his spelling from Chris to Kris when we got married

And yes, DH tends to dislike EVERYTHING. Drives me INSANE, lol. I tried a whole other list of names today and got reactions ranging from 'no' to 'for a name?' or 'Are you kidding?' I brought up piper again even though he shot it down last time and he actually said 'We're not on charmed' (but we can be on gray's anatomy? Lol).

*sigh*