Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Large kitchen or small kitchen?

I grew up with a ginormous kitchen and always thought bigger was better. I've always had teeny-tiny kitchens in my rented apartments since moving out of my parent's house. And you know what? I've come to appreciate small kitchens a LOT.

*There's less square-footage to clean: counters, floor, cupboards. Mopping the floor takes just a few swipes. LOL

*Everything I need is within arm's reach or a step away. (Yes, my kitchen is that small.)

*Due to lack of cupboard and pantry space, we utilize ALL our wall space. Everything I need is out in the open and easily accessible. I never have to bend over or rummage for things.

*Small space forces us to keep up with dishes more often. The kitchen is somewhat unusable when there are too many dirty dishes.

What do you think?

Despite all this, I still dream about having a big, beautiful kitchen one of these days. LOL They can be so aesthetically pleasing!

Advertisement

ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Large kitchen or small kitchen?

I love big kitchens. I like cooking and talking with my friends and family at the same time and can't do that in the tiny ones. I also feel like no matter how clean my kitchen is, it doesn't LOOK clean.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma1879 View Post
I love big kitchens. I like cooking and talking with my friends and family at the same time and can't do that in the tiny ones. I also feel like no matter how clean my kitchen is, it doesn't LOOK clean.
You have a point there. I grew up with 11 people in our household and my parent's large kitchen was (and is) our favorite place to congregate as a family. This is not possible in me and DH's tiny kitchen.
ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
AutumnRose
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love big kitchens myself. The two houses I grew up in had big kitchens, and our kitchen is pretty large. I like the room and not feeling squished into the space. Although having everything at arms reach sounds ideal!

Honestly, I think as long as the space you have is utilized and organized properly and easy to work it...it's GREAT!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love having a bigger kitchen. I grew up with a teeny tiny kitchen (you could literally take 5-6 steps from the fridge and be at the stove, which was the end of the kitchen)and while we adjusted to it, I don't know how my mother managed for so long!

Now my current kitchen isn't huge or anything, but we can fit 4-5 people in there easily. The cleaning doesn't bother me because I clean on a daily basis anyways, and since it leads to the back door, we track in a lot of dirt. I've found that no matter if it's big or small, just being organized and tidy really helps me adapt to my kitchen space.

PS: Anyone want to share pictures of their kitchens???
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a tiny kitchen. The built in cabinets are 7 upper cabinets. A dishwasher, under-sink cabinet, bottom corner cabinet narrow drawer cabinet, stove very narrow cabinet and Refrigerator. This is the entire kitchen. There is very little counter top space. The actual room of the kitchen is much larger.
I added a Center island, A cabinet that my microwave sits on this stores my husbands herbs and infusing oils and stuff. There is a china hutch that functions as my pantry. There is my kitchen table and 6 chairs. The last item that is in my kitchen is my freezer, it's an upright almost as large as my refrigerator.
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We recently moved from a place with a super tiny kitchen to a place with a huge kitchen and that was actually one of the reasons we decided on our new place. So... big kitchen for me. I don't miss the tiny one at all. We still made a mess - it was just in the tiny kitchen AND other spots of our apartment. Now a lot of the messes are more confined to the kitchen. That being said, I do miss having less to clean overall! But we love to cook and love having the extra room for our little ones to run around so we can know what they're up to while we are cooking and have extra space for them to 'help' when they pull up chairs to the counter etc. It was pretty hard to walk through the kitchen last yr when I was pregnant, esp. when they would bring chairs in there! Keeping up with the dishes is actually one of the easiest chores for me so that's not really an issue b/c with 3 little ones and 2 adults who love to cook, there are always messy dishes so if we didn't keep up with it, we'd have a disaster, lol. Definitely glad we have a dishwasher...
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I've had a big kitchen for years. We rented this amazing house in CA & it was massive - one of the reasons I was so excited to move into the house. Then I realized... holy crap, there is so much more to clean, so much I don't use, things seem to pile up more (bigger space gives the illusion, I think, that it's not as cluttered or messy until it's really bad), we bought more crap for the kitchen b/c we had the space... I could go on. While it was beautiful & I loved the space, I just came to think we didn't need it. I'm glad that I experienced it b/c it's part of the reason I've minimalized so much recently.

Right now we have a larger kitchen & house - I actually recently closed off the living room, formal dining room and some other rooms in one section of the house - put up curtains to close off the kitche, moved the dining table & a couch in & turned it into one big LDK area. I'm so much happier with it now. We are getting ready to move & build a house in the near future & I'll be happy with a smaller house & kitchen. I'm actually missing the little apartment we rented not long ago!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always thought I wanted a big huge farmhouse style eat-in kitchen like on the Bridges of Madison County movie. Now I really prefer a more European style smaller kitchen. The galley style even with one open side to the living area and a big-walk in pantry would be my dream.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I really prefer a generous but not huge kitchen. I like to be able to access everything within a few steps, but I hate feeling cramped. As a chef, I really like having plenty of room to spread out when I cook. A perfect kitchen to me doesn't need a ton of square footage, but lots of counter space and an efficient design.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote