Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: "actively teach" your toddler or just play and let them "learn naturally"?

I don't think it has to be as clear cut as "actively teaching or natural learning." When we read books we may point out colors or we may play a silly game with body parts. We count stairs when we go up/down. It's not that I am trying to shove learning at them, and it's not what you would look typical think with active teaching. Play is learning for them. Play a game, have some fun, and learn a bit all at the same time. And I wouldn't worry about comparing your kiddo with others...even if he is behind it will be really easy for him to catch up and is no big deal. The other kids might seem advanced but things will even out over time.

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Like one PP said, with my first it was constant 1-on-1, so she advanced fairly quickly. With my second, your time just gets split. So my DD2 has learned to talk in complete sentences through mimicking DD1, but she doesn't know colors at age 2. I also use the 'Say one more thing' mentality, if she asks for a banana I'll respond 'here is your yellow banana.' Or whatever. When reading, I often skim over the words (or condense or something) and focus epecially on pictures, since that's what they can relate to. The text might say 'A and B are dogs' but the picture shows them outside. So I'll make an entire paragraph 'A and B are dogs. Where are they? Outside, under the trees! A is big and brown, B is small and furry!' or whatever.

Don't worry about it, they do all even out in a few years' time. Take whatever he's interested in and make it a theme for cololring pages and whatnot. Say 'let's color this car blue, and this one green.' Then cut them out and glue them on cardboard, he has new toys that he made himself and he can learn the colors from. Just stuff like that.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
I don't think it has to be as clear cut as "actively teaching or natural learning." When we read books we may point out colors or we may play a silly game with body parts. We count stairs when we go up/down. It's not that I am trying to shove learning at them, and it's not what you would look typical think with active teaching. Play is learning for them. Play a game, have some fun, and learn a bit all at the same time.
This. Also lots of singing, and library storytime (though we have an AWESOME children's librarian who plans lots of activities, so we're luckier than most).

DD picks up on things pretty quickly, but is definitely in the more physically clumsy category. Whoever said that kids tend to be more physical or more mental at this age hit the nail on the head.

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
hibiscus869
Registered Users

My DS was super physical/ social toddler and preschooler- just wanted to play and run around outside with friends all the time. Was NOT interested in sitting down and 'learning' colors, letters, numbers, etc. We read to him constantly and he had a ton of attention from me, so I didn't push it at all, I just figured it would come. However looking back I think I should have worked on it a little more, I felt like he was a little behind when kindergarten started (they really are expected to know a lot) and we had to play catch up. It wasn't the end of the world, things evened out, but if I could go back I would try to work on some those concepts a little more. Not in a formal, flash-card kind of way, rather make games out of it. Like go out and do a number hunt in the yard, or ride scooters around and find everything that's yellow, etc. I think for him that would have been a good approach.

With my toddler we have Montessori-style shelves with little activity trays. Some are about colors, or textures, animals, music, drawing, etc. She actually likes it better than traditional 'toys.' It's like hands-on, effortless learning because to her it's just fun, she can do it as she pleases. Sometimes she wants me to play with her, sometimes she wants to do it herself. I just follow her lead and talk about what we're doing. Obviously we do a ton of reading, we really limit the TV, and we have constant interaction. She already knows a lot just through this kind of learning-through-play approach.

So I guess my feeling is that you don't have to do 'formal' teaching, but I don't think it's a bad idea to encorporate learning into every day activities either, and provide them with a stimulating, varied environment.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just daily living.

and 18 months is really young to say much or know colors etc. 18-24months is more like when that stuff happens.

DD is not yet 2 and knows her ABC's (uppercase only), shapes, colors, animals, numbers to 10 and I'm amazed at what she picks up on a day to day basis. Seriously exploded after 18months. She doesn't speak in sentences or even very many 2word combinations, but she's been processing all the things we've been playing with for almost 2 yrs now and you can see it starting to spill out. It's concreting itself in her psyche and she's putting things together that we've said or shown her over time.

In reality, while it's great that she knows all this, it's not imperative. What's more imperative is that she's learning the limits of her body at the park. That she's learning to kick and throw and jump and touch things. Every kid will eventually learn the letters and colors and animals. This age is really about learning the self confidence that will enable them to potty train successfully, be around other children, play on their own, interact with their parents, etc.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
No, I do a child centered approach. I don't specifically sit and say "Now we will learn body parts", I follow my childs lead and integrate it into daily living. As we're getting dressed, bathing, etc, we talk about body parts: put the shirt over your head, put in our arms, let's put the shoes on your feet, lets wash your face. We play games and sing songs that teach, like "head, shoulders, knees, and toes", "one, two, buckle my shoe". When we read books, I name everything, point out pictures. When they began showing an interest in letters and numbers we started talking about what letters words started with "D is for dog", and pointed out numbers, and counting things, "Look, you have 5 cookies, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5'. Really any interaction with your child is a chance to teach them. I always follow this rule, I call it Say One More Thing. So if my child says 'Bird!', I say "You're right, there's a bird. The bird is flying". I have now added a piece of information for my child to digest. If you do that with everything, you'll be amazed at what they pick up.
This is what we do. And she's right it's amazing what they pick up.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you all. I like the "say one more thing" idea and will be more intentional about that. The weird thing is, my degree is in elementary education and I previously taught kindergarten. So I know exactly what to do once he's three or so . . . but feel kind of lost about what I'm "supposed" to be doing at the baby/toddler stage. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, but try to be a bit more intentional, and see what happens these next 6 months. I can not WAIT!! As a parent, it seems like every time I start to worry about something, he turns the corner and blows my mind (like how he would barely eat any solids at 12 months and all of a sudden became an eating machine), so hopefully this is just another of those things. I really appreciate all the experience and ideas you shared.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just thought I would add an idea of child centered learning. We use choices to dissolve tantrums (instead of get your shoes on, I ask which shoes). It works great just for that, but I have found it to be an awesome learning point! "Which shoes, green or blue?" "Which plate, square or circle?" "Big cup or small cup?"
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
I always follow this rule, I call it Say One More Thing. So if my child says 'Bird!', I say "You're right, there's a bird. The bird is flying". I have now added a piece of information for my child to digest. If you do that with everything, you'll be amazed at what they pick up.
What a great idea!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #20
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think there is just a range on what is normal in this age group. My 26 mo is a total chatterbox and speaks in 4 to 5 word sentences and some times two sentences together. Way ahead of cousin whose a month younger ands says "mama" but not much else. She knows all the major body parts and tons of words. But she doesn't know the correct names of shapes or colors. She knows its a color but doesn't id it as blue. I will correct her when she's coloring and says its yellow when it's blue but I don't open a book about color and work on the blue bird blue berries etc. She pretend counts ...1367910 and sings the ABC song but has no clue about actual counting or letters.

Two months ago she couldn't put simple shapes in the correct place on a puzzle board AT ALL then one day it clicked and she can do very complex shapes that are similar. Was it be because I worked with her on shape recognition? Nope. I only tried to focus/calm her when she was getting frustrated.

Last edited by AniMommy; 09-15-2012 at 03:55 AM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote