Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #21
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
I dont sit down and teach my littles anything. They learn from just daily living.

All of my kids except one have known how to read prior to kindergarten, all learned how to count to 20 by age 3 or so. All knew their main colors by 2. ABCs by 2 as well. It just happens naturally.
Wow. Really? DS1 does know his colors, like on a puzzle but he doesn't say them, he doesn't know letter or numbers.

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #22
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Irs amazing what kids pick up. Coming from a spec ed teacher background I thought I would have to explicitly "teach" my kids, but the reality is, typically developing kids are amazing intuitive learners. Every kid is different and will learn at a different pace and have diffferent strengths and weaknesses though. My first daughter, I would sit when she was an infant and try to "teach" her stuff (and I was bored out of my mind!). Then I just evolved to interacting with her and following her lead like op have said. We talk A LOT. Like someone said the "one more thing" idea, just constantly talking and giving info and asking questions. We also read together a lot. She is 4.5 and knows all her letters most of the sounds and is very interested in reading and writing. She is very interested in science and cooking and questions a lot of things and is so interested in learning which to me is so much more important than memorized facts drilled in to them. My second kiddo I worry isn't in the same place but she's only 2 so I don't really know. She doesn't get the one on one as much, but she is a totally different kid and has different strengths than my first abd different opportunities for learning having me and an older sister.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #23
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: "actively teach" your toddler or just play and let them "learn naturally"?

I don't have the time to actively teach my DD unlike before so she is learning things naturally. But I still find a way to elp her we always play some educational video while the kids are playing. We also buy some educational materials that they can use.
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #24
mkrisel
Registered Users

We don't sit down to teach her anything, but do as things come up in daily life. For example, we count the number of crackers or chairs, we name colors we see or on her clothes, we draw shapes or make them when playing with play doh etc.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #25
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a special ed teacher and do Early Intervention for a living. I let my kids learn naturally.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921 View Post
Wow. Really? DS1 does know his colors, like on a puzzle but he doesn't say them, he doesn't know letter or numbers.
this is FINE!

My DD has known her letters since about 21months. but that's because that's what she's interested in. The kid is obsessed with books and alphabet puzzles and flashcards... I have to hide the flashcards unless I want to play with them all day long.

but that's her interest. I have a friend who took it personally because her 2.5 yr old didn't know them yet.. but I am sure that her 2.5yo and your child know tons of stuff my child doesn't. Because they're interested in those things. Like, for instance, her child is fine motor advanced over my child. She's closing in on 2 and can't really use a fork or a spoon. Whereas my friend's child has been using them successfully since way before he was 2.

our children are going to excel at different things at different times. But like said earlier, they will even out. Eventually all of them will know their letters and be able to use forks. Or whatever skill.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #27
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921

All kids learn differently. My kids have been exposed to older siblings doing school work (homeschool) daily.

My 2.5 year old is ahead intellectually but way behind socially/emotionally. She has ASD.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do both, but mainly natural learning. We don't force anything, though. Learning cannot happen in a forced environment. We do incorporate learning into play. DS goes to a private preschool as well, and they have a learning through play approach, which he and I both love.
Child passenger safety questions? Ask me, I'm a CPST!
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

We have just pretty much let our babes learn through life with a little bit of active teaching. My son was not extremely vocal at the age of your son, but he did have a broad vocabulary that he did not use often. At 20 months he stopped signing and started talking and he hasn't shut up since. He's 5.5 now and is never still or quiet. Our other two are 13 and 10.5 and all are smart kids. They are all excellent at teaching each other stuff and they all have always come up with stuff that I did not teach them.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #30
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I try to just incorporate things, and it does come more naturally to me since I am a teacher, and so "teaching" just gets really engrained in me. But, for example, when getting dressed I will say, "look at your red shirt! This shirt is red! See, it is red!". I try ton say thing 3 times/ways, because dd was/is a little behind in her speech and lots of repetition helps her and tunes her in that she should pay attention. When I do this she will now say "shirt-red!" to copy me and now knows most body parts, and can say much more, etc. A suggestion I got from a speech therapist was to put the object right by your mouth. So if you are asking "do you want milk or juice?" you hold them up to your mouth when you say it b/c then they are forced to be looking at both the item and your mouth. That was extremely helpful.

Dh sits down with her and does little preschool "lessons" but that is really just a bible story, regular story and a color of the week and she'll color/paint with that color. I ask him to do it b/c I want her to have a little more structure and this stuff does NOT come naturally to him, but if I ask him to do something specific, he will. He stays home with her during the day BTW. Whew, I'm getting long winded here.

Point is, it is not necessary to sit down and teach a toddler, but if it doesn't come naturally, it's not going to hurt anything to purposely do something like learn the color blue or whatever, but it's easier to just point out all the blue things in day to day life. Hope that makes sense.