Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #131
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: babywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapercrunchy View Post
Pumping is not as effective at building your milk supply as the babies jaw. PERIOD. EZZO is WRONG... That is poor advice and im a lactation counselor. Babies cry for the breast and cluster feed to build your supply, to tailor that supply to THEIR needs. Nature gave us that awesome feature and Ezzo suggests pumping to ensure your supply? Waking a sleeping baby to nurse? That is kind of counterproductive.

People who use BW and love it are not going to change their minds about it and it makes me sad but that is just BAD breastfeeding advise. Why would you use a mechanical pump instead of your beautiful baby who is way more effective and certainly more appreciative.

Also, my 3 year old still sucks her thumb for comfort, so why is her need to suck not gone? She is over 3 months afterall????? WOW. JUST WOW.

Babies are not something you can schedule, we need to get over the fact that creating and raising humans might be, at times, a little inconvenient for us.
Yes, you are quite convinced of your way, I can see that. But here's the thing you can schedule a baby and we do. You are not correct. Our LC is amazing and she is amazed at how well our babies do and our success at BFing (she has seen 7 of us). She tells us how contrary we are to all the LLL materials and lactation info out there, but she has admitted she cannot argue with our success. So I would encourage you, that perhaps, there are lots of babies thriving on breastmilk who aren't nursed around the clock or every 30 minutes or in any other way you think should be or has to be. See, it can be different. I live it, lots of other moms live it, lots of scheduled BF babies prove it. It doesn't have to appeal to you, that's ok. Your way doesn't appeal to us. But we can acknowledge your way also works and afford you the freedom to do as you do without condemnation, why can't you afford anyone else that same support?

Advertisement

Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #132
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a friend who followed BW and I nursed on demand. My son started sleeping 5-7hr stretches around 4 weeks old while it took her a long time (6-7months) to get her son to go longer than 3-4hrs at night.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #133
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Pumping is not as effective at building your milk supply as the babies jaw. PERIOD. EZZO is WRONG... That is poor advice and im a lactation counselor. Babies cry for the breast and cluster feed to build your supply, to tailor that supply to THEIR needs. Nature gave us that awesome feature and Ezzo suggests pumping to ensure your supply? Waking a sleeping baby to nurse? That is kind of counterproductive.

People who use BW and love it are not going to change their minds about it and it makes me sad but that is just BAD breastfeeding advise. Why would you use a mechanical pump instead of your beautiful baby who is way more effective and certainly more appreciative.

Also, my 3 year old still sucks her thumb for comfort, so why is her need to suck not gone? She is over 3 months afterall????? WOW. JUST WOW.

Babies are not something you can schedule, we need to get over the fact that creating and raising humans might be, at times, a little inconvenient for us.
And this would be the mommy war additive that I was talking about. Your way is the only right way. Again....the truth is, BF'ing while important to the point of putting all parental needs aside is not as important to other people.

We are not in the single and early digit centuries anymore. There ARE alternative ways to feed, even if we don't agree.
And again....I thought BF'ing was vitally important which is why I did the child centered route. HOWEVER, I do not think anyone is *wrong* if they do it differently.

Heck I'm a huge BF'ing supporter. TBH I just posted on FB about my year anniversary of my 3 year old totally child-led self weaning and reposted my blog from a year ago.

http://myownblueplanet.blogspot.com/...f-journey.html

These were *my* experiences and what I experienced as a mother instinctively. It doesn't mean any one else's path that is different is any less valid.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #134
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Many BW babies are thumb suckers. They seem to pick that up frequently around 2-3 months of age. We often find babies have less need to suck around 2-3 months as they take up the thumb and get more aware of and involved in discovering their environments. I'm sure there's a child development expert out there who has written about it for "proof". Its just what we have seen in working with and sharing about oodles of babies. Many of our friends are quiverful so there is an endless supply of babies to study around here.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #135
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_dna View Post
I had a friend who followed BW and I nursed on demand. My son started sleeping 5-7hr stretches around 4 weeks old while it took her a long time (6-7months) to get her son to go longer than 3-4hrs at night.
Honestly, I have never seen that with a BW baby. Something is amiss here. Glad you found something that worked for you and your son. Our babies are generally sleeping 3-4 hrs per night by 1 week (mine have since birth), and most reach a 5-7 stretch consistently at night by 3-4 weeks as you experienced. Most are STTN 8 hours by 11 weeks.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #136
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Not so much about whether babywise is right or wrong, but it can't be Biblically correct. Mary didn't own a Medela.

Last edited by Dory; 09-17-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #137
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

I guess for me I am just skeptical of any book/program that is new (within the last few hundred years) that claims it is "the way" to raise kids. I have a hard time believing that all people before them were doing it wrong for thousands of years. Especially when the new way requires a modern device to keep/build milk supply. I hate to pump. I do it with a $20 single hand pump maybe once ever three months when someone is going to babysit. I buy the cheep one because a better one would be waisted on me.

This is coming from someone who read the book thinking it was going to be great because of what friends who used it had told me. I read it when my first was 9 weeks. I was a bit put off by how much the book said everything I was doing already was wrong and that rocking my baby was "sleep manipulation" when I love and cherish my precious few years that my kids allow me to rock them. For me it is a sad thing when they just go to bed and read then go to sleep.

My friends who do use BW have healthy children and are not deprived of love or care. I would never say they are doing it wrong. It is just wrong for my family. Yet all of my friend who use have more than once tried to make me change my ways. When I say I just don't like it. They say well it is hard work as if I am just taking the easy way out.

One comment from a BW mom that always stayed with me was that she never holds a sleeping baby. For me that just sounds sad. I love holding precious, peaceful sleeping babies.

Sorry for being so random I just had a lot of random thoughts while reading all the posts.

Again I do not think his ways are wrong across the board. If you are aware of your babies needs and make sure they are getting enough to be healthy and it works for you then great. I just won't use it.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #138
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Never hold a sleeping baby? Yikes. But that's the best! We do hold sleeping babies, plenty, gloriously, thankfully. We rock our babies, not usually for the purposes of getting them to sleep though. To snuggle, cuddle, read, and comfort. Absolutely!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #139
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
Not so much shot whether babywise is right or wrong, but it can't be Biblically correct. Mary didn't own a Medela.
And I am pretty sure back then no child CIO at night or no one would have slept! Lol! (different can of worms, but really.. It's true) it's funny how we fight what is so natural to our child and to our bodies. With everything.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #140
March
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra
And this would be the mommy war additive that I was talking about. Your way is the only right way. Again....the truth is, BF'ing while important to the point of putting all parental needs aside is not as important to other people.

We are not in the single and early digit centuries anymore. There ARE alternative ways to feed, even if we don't agree.
And again....I thought BF'ing was vitally important which is why I did the child centered route. HOWEVER, I do not think anyone is *wrong* if they do it differently.

Heck I'm a huge BF'ing supporter. TBH I just posted on FB about my year anniversary of my 3 year old totally child-led self weaning and reposted my blog from a year ago.

http://myownblueplanet.blogspot.com/...f-journey.html

These were *my* experiences and what I experienced as a mother instinctively. It doesn't mean any one else's path that is different is any less valid.
I do agree--I'm just interested in why and how others reach their parenting conclusions. If there are anthropological reasons or only arguments from consequence/pragmatism, etc. I mean, the body of the Ezzos' work makes some pretty hefty claims from theology and philosophy--it's hard to understand that context and see it only as a "do what works" exoskeleton for an infant's daily life or a family's daily life with an infant. There's a lot more to his claims regarding WHY it works, and he has always ignored or dismissed the anthropological arguments that demonstrate otherwise.

But nobody is addressing anything I say, lol. I keep wondering if my posts are only visible to me!

Last edited by March; 09-17-2012 at 08:53 AM.
March is offline   Reply With Quote