Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #31
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
every day I log on here and read all the threads about 2 year olds still waking multiple times a night, I am so thankful that I helped DS learn to sleep properly as an infant.
I wouldn't judge so quickly. Everyone's kiddos have different sleep needs, maybe you lucked out with an easygoing sleeper. Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #32
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga

I wouldn't judge so quickly. Everyone's kiddos have different sleep needs, maybe you lucked out with an easygoing sleeper. Just sayin'.

This. We never ever sleep trained. My newborn fed at the breast whenever and they never CIO. We have beautiful sleepers sure, infancy was tough. BUT it's part of being a BABY for Pete's sake.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #33
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: babywise

We are a Babywise family as our nearly all of our closest friends. We've had excellent results for our babies and our families.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #34
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname
I seriously respect everyone's opinions. I don't use it fully...mostly use The Baby Whisperer which is a gentler version of Baby Wise. It's been great for both my babies. I know that each baby is different, my two are night and day different, and one way isn't always going to work for every baby.

Let's mama's stick together and encourage one another instead of pointing fingers and judging. Raising kids is hard enough!!
Your sweet. But on this board, that'll never happen.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #35
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga View Post

Yes.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #36
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Mama, please research the book and it's author, at least.

And my unsolicited advice? Toss all the books and trust yourself. You know what works for your family. Each child is unique and no one thing works for all of them. And love that baby!! They grow SO fast.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #37
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
No, that's the baby whisperer :-)
I have an experienced postpartum doula friend who swears by the baby whisperer. I also wouldn't recommend babywise just because of the crazy guy that wrote it.
It's also so individual to the baby- my first wasn't a good sleeper, etc....but number 2 has just been a lot easier in general. He put himself on a schedule and sleeps really well..without me trying to put him on any particular schedule.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #38
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
This. We never ever sleep trained. My newborn fed at the breast whenever and they never CIO. We have beautiful sleepers sure, infancy was tough. BUT it's part of being a BABY for Pete's sake.
Yep. we coslept with our first for 26 months (until #2 came and ran out of room in the bed!) and now she's 2.5 years old and sleeps great in her toddler bed in her room, all night. No strict sleep training necessary.

My children are generally happy and people frequently tell me "you must not spoil them". ummm....I don't think it's possible to "spoil" a baby. I cosleep and wear them and breastfeed on demand, which many people to consider "spoiling". You respond to their needs and they are happy.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #39
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelise View Post
Its also Babywise! They are kind of similar in a lot of ways! Baby Whisperer says you should never let a baby cry alone though, but that crying is ok.
Actually, the Ezzos first published the eat,play, sleep routine almost 20 years ago in their Christian series which is now titled "Come Along the Infant Way". I have friends who were taking and teaching classes on it 19 years ago. The Baby Whisperer, IMO, has simply repackaged many of those ideas because they work, in a milder package, and without the Ezzo name attached. People object to the feeding interval idea proposed by Ezzo and miss all the paragraphs about discretion and discernment and what to look for and good ole common sense. TBW softened all that and encourages no alone crying. We love Babywise and have been able to bless many families by teaching it: the routine and sleep cues and hunger cues as well as the common "habits" that can occur with babies and toddlers and guidance through those; that's the genius of the Ezzos in BW.

Endless threads on the DS about poor sleeping in babies and toddlers, I cannot even read them all since its often the same things over and over again and the situations are often so clear. I'm with Mom2Connor, I'm so thankful for the wisdom of parents who've found what works with scheduling and have the courage to share it and teach it. This is a sleep training household as are those of our closest friends. 38 babies from 8 families all raised from birth nearly identically following Ezzos teachings. All STTN early, all napped until at least 5 years old, all happy, sound sleepers, all thrived and grew and developed well. Some of these kiddos are reaching 20 now and they're all still doing well. They weren't FTT, they weren't "hardened" by scheduling, or didn't attach, or didn't feel loved, or any of the other GARBAGE people assume will happen or google into believing. There are so many misconceptions, especially on DS, about BW and scheduling in general. The truth is we often have little to no crying in the learning phase, its possible. We rarely have a baby who cannot eat every 3 hours under 5 months, or every 4 hours over 5 months of age. They eat full meals, not snacks, get lots of hindmilk and gain weight very well. Some even get the serious chunks . They get plenty of snuggling and loving from their families.

Everyone makes their choices, you just should do so with an eye toward consequences IMO. I made an informed decision and had seen in real life with other children and families how scheduling played out. I value predictability and good sleep for all, as well as my role to guide and teach my children, even from birth. BW was and is a terrific fit for us and all the moms I counsel with it on here and IRL. I have read the Dr. Sears books also. I remain amazed that so many demand-feeding, all the time nursing, co-sleeping, hours of babywearing, moms still are shocked and disappointed when they end up with a terrible sleeper as many (not all) do. Did they not read Dr. Sears book? He himself talks about more night waking with co-sleeping, night parenting until 3 or 4 years of age. If you read blogs and forums or talk to other moms parenting that way, these are very common occurences. I see it everyday. It doesn't matter to me if you are AP, I don't think there's a right or a wrong way. But, by goly, why are you surprised when you choose that route and you and your baby don't sleep well? That's what you were warned would happen and what is the widely experienced outcome of those choices.

So yes, as for me and mine, we are Babywise followers. We have seen the fruit from it here and elsewhere. Make what choices you feel right about for your family, and know we're all doing the same.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #40
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had plans of putting my kids on schedules...then I became a mom and it just didn't feel right and none of us were happy or sleeping at all.

Day 3 I brought my son into bed with us and let him nurse as much and as often as he liked. All 3 of my kids were sleeping in their own rooms and through the night before or around 1 and we haven't had any sleep issues (not associated with illness or injury) since then.

Honestly, to each their own, if it works for you that is great, but I think it can be dangerous to say that one very strict way of raising a baby can work for anyone who decides to use it.

I also had 3 reflux babies, laying them flat on their back at all in the first few months just wasn't happening.