Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Haven't experienced that on here (yet) but on our local Facebook "yard sale" group, when people ask that, I ask right back, "what's the highest you'll pay?" and I usually end up with the list price. I don't have time/patience for sending a thousand messages back and forth over a few bucks. Tact is also not my specialty. Haha

Advertisement

KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: "what's the lowest you'll take"

Ditto PPers. "I've listed it for XXX, but I'm open to any reasonable offers. Worst I can do is say no." Helpful to add that to your listing too. MIGHT deter some unwanted low balling, but it won't cotrol it all.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That really bothers me too. I also respond that "I'm asking $X, feel free to make an offer."

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 09-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
bea2269
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH
Haven't experienced that on here (yet) but on our local Facebook "yard sale" group, when people ask that, I ask right back, "what's the highest you'll pay?" and I usually end up with the list price. I don't have time/patience for sending a thousand messages back and forth over a few bucks. Tact is also not my specialty. Haha
Love it!
bea2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

I responded to something similar with "prices are listed but I am open to offers"
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

its really bugs me. I dont price my stuff higher assuming someone will come around offering me less I price what I feel is fair. I've often lowered it though if asked in a resonable way. Like say I have an $8 pocket and someone asked if I'll take $6 that is a resonable offer and since I mostly FSOT in order to pass along fuctional diapers it rare for me to say no to an offer.
So when I just get how low if feels rude cause I already take the time to price low my prices are often below what the going prices are I don't ask for more jsut because its a rare print of something (just me) and its obvious my prices are low..
average diaper price for me (IEUC often NIP conditional ) no stain rips issues with PIL or elastic type condition...covers around $4-$6 pocket around $6-$8 AIO around $8-$10 and I'll ussually send a dozen prefolds for about $12 all these at PPD prices and I start discouinting if diapers have known flaws.. So when someone comes on and asks whats the lowest I'll take on a $4 cover than new would cost them $16+ it does feel quite rude.
I ussually respond that the price I gave was what I felt was a fair price but I'm open for reasonal offers and what is they think they can pay. I've had yet to hear back form one...

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
kellfran
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
I agree with happysmileylady as it being a sales technique, however.....of the people who have done that to me NONE have ended up purchasing. And I've given a 20% or more discount. It makes me quite perturbed.
LOL I know right? Thats the worst--I guess they were expecting you to come back with "oh the lowest I'd go is FREEEEE!"

we are having a garage sale next weekend so this thread has been handy to read!
kellfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I list my diapers at the lowest price I'll go. The only time I go lower is if someone buys multiple things and it is going to save me on shipping. I'm also more willing to lower my prices for local purchases that don't require me to do anything!!

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
susan6070
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say 'What are you offering?' or 'What's your offer?'. I like to keep it short and simple. If they are still interested, they will respond with an offer. Then you can go from there.
susan6070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When someone asks me what the lowest I will take is, I respond with a number I would still be happy to sell it for. If no other price would appease me, I simply say "I'd really like to get $-- (original price) for it, because -----"