Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
sanddimarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Toddler carry help.

The Beco Gemini hurts me. I cannot wear him on my front because it throws off my center of gravity (I'm guessing. lol)
I'm 5'2'' and fluffy. My son is 22 months and 28 pounds. I've tried low and high carries on my back and it still hurts after awhile.

Is there a carrier that is more comfy for longer carries?
SSC only as I don't like wraps or ring slings anymore.
Thanks!!

Advertisement

Sanddi
Single mommy to my Sylasarus

sanddimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Absolutely there are more comfy carriers for a kiddo that size. I can't imagine wearing a child that size in a gemini.

I would suggest a Tula, Kinderpack, Dream Carrier, Bamberoo, or Kanga. The last 3 are harder to find (esp new) but are all awesome carriers!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have an Ergo and can carry even my 35 lb 3 yo in it no problem (on my back...haven't tried her on the front). The Boba carrier looks really cool too, and even has loops to rest their feet in so they don't dangle.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Toddler carry help.

Where does it hurts to you? On my first carrier my back is aching but on my new SSC it's not a problem anymore. Im also 5'2, while my DD is 18months and really heavy for me 22lbs but when we go out her weight would not be a problem when she is in our Action Baby Carrier. You had mention your son is 28lbs, so ABC can be one of your option because it has a weight limit of 40lbs. I had my ABC for a few months now, but I had read that ABC has a new toddler version of carrier which is wider and support extends to the knee..maybe you would like that...sadly on my part it was too late.. I had already bought one before they had released that carrier...grrR Anyway, I still love the design I had the "happy design" and DD love it too..Hope this help! Goodluck!
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebabies
I have an Ergo and can carry even my 35 lb 3 yo in it no problem (on my back...haven't tried her on the front). The Boba carrier looks really cool too, and even has loops to rest their feet in so they don't dangle.
Unless you've tried a toddler carrier with more coverage you may not know the difference. I find it much more comfortable to use a carrier that offers knee to knee coverage and comes up to the shoulders. We outgrew the boba at age 2. For me, and DS, the comfort level goes down once you start to lose knee to knee coverage.

Sure, you can use an ergo or beco to carry a big kid but it just didn't compare to a true toddler carrier.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
sanddimarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor

Unless you've tried a toddler carrier with more coverage you may not know the difference. I find it much more comfortable to use a carrier that offers knee to knee coverage and comes up to the shoulders. We outgrew the boba at age 2. For me, and DS, the comfort level goes down once you start to lose knee to knee coverage.

Sure, you can use an ergo or beco to carry a big kid but it just didn't compare to a true toddler carrier.
I was wondering about the toddler specific carriers. Someone I know mentioned something about a Catabird (?) or a Pickalo? I'm not a serious baby wearer so forgive me. Heh

Sanddi

Old 09-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddimarie

I was wondering about the toddler specific carriers. Someone I know mentioned something about a Catabird (?) or a Pickalo? I'm not a serious baby wearer so forgive me. Heh
Hmm, they may have a big toddler size but I'm not familiar. Kinderpack, Tula, Dream Carrier, Bamberoo, and Kanga all make larger sizes that are awesome.

What are your LOs stats?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
sanddimarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Hmm, they may have a big toddler size but I'm not familiar. Kinderpack, Tula, Dream Carrier, Bamberoo, and Kanga all make larger sizes that are awesome.

What are your LOs stats?
I just asked my local babywearing group if they have any toddler carriers. Hopefully they have one I can try on. (the Ergos really don't feel comfortable on me.)
I just measured with a measuring tape so it's probably not exact (don't visit the doctor often) and it got 32 inches and he's about 26ish to 28ish pounds.

Sanddi

Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddimarie

I just asked my local babywearing group if they have any toddler carriers. Hopefully they have one I can try on. (the Ergos really don't feel comfortable on me.)
I just measured with a measuring tape so it's probably not exact (don't visit the doctor often) and it got 32 inches and he's about 26ish to 28ish pounds.
I think he sounds like the perfect size for a Toddler KP. It would fit him well arms in with plenty of growing room. It would offer good knee to knee support for at least another year+. They are more expensive but well worth the money! A kanga xt or a dream carrier 18 inch would be good too but those are harder to get.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
sanddimarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

I think he sounds like the perfect size for a Toddler KP. It would fit him well arms in with plenty of growing room. It would offer good knee to knee support for at least another year+. They are more expensive but well worth the money! A kanga xt or a dream carrier 18 inch would be good too but those are harder to get.
Thank you do much for all of our help! They are sort of pricey but maybe I can swing it if someone buys my RS and Beco. lol

Sanddi