Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Diet for preventing structural brain abnormalities?

So back story- we just lost our 13.5 week baby (the fetus died at 13.5 weeks measuring right on track). We found out per ultrasound that the cerebellum was not formed right, if formed at all. Chromosomes came back and the baby was a chromosomally normal fetus (a girl).

SO being a mom and all- because I know the baby didn't have genetic abnormalities to cause brain structural abnormalities, I start thinking- what did I do? What happened in the 8th week of pregnancy that could have caused that? Knowing FULL WELL, that things just happen and sometimes there's nothing that you did to cause it. BUT I think if/when we try again, it will make me feel better to know I am doing the BEST things I can do to prevent the brain from not growing right, kwim?? At least I'll have something to focus on doing right, instead of just worrying.

I have been googling, but all I'm finding is stuff about Omega 3 and things to improve IQ, not to prevent STRUCTURAL abnormalities. Ideas? I was thinking things like eating organically, avoiding pesticides, artificial things, eating whole foods only no processed things, etc. Anyone know anything about this?

Advertisement

athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
No advice but so sorry for your loss.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Diet for preventing structural brain abnormalities?

I don't know if this is similar or not, but my best friend was pregnant with a little boy who had a brain stem but no brain formation past that. Her doctor told her it was very likely due to folic acid deficiency.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm so sorry mama :hugs

Folic acid is very important in neurological development. So I would be sure to take a supplement for that.

Just because there was no chromosomal abnormalities does not mean that there was not a type of genetic mutation, most likely completely sporadic. I know it's hard not to, but you have to know that there was nothing you could have done to change the outcome, diet change or supplements.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Folic acid in prenatal vitamins. I take over 800mcg per day before conception & during 1st trimester.

So sorry for your loss
Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm so sorry

I agree with the others re: folic acid.
other than that, there's really nothing you can do. Your baby isn't really getting the food you're eating until the placenta is formed roughly around week 12. (If that's actually not correct, please correct me).

due to my age, I've been on prenatals since I was 30. The doctor told me that women older than 30 really need to make sure they're getting their folic acid just in case they get pregnant. Whereas younger women have fewer worries.

you did nothing wrong.

there are, if you're so inclined, actual pregnancy diets that tell you what to eat on a day to day basis. I intended to follow them with my first pregnancy, but then MS hit and I realized that I was just keeping down whatever I could and the things on those diets did not sound appealing. You can find a big variety of them online.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Huge hugs mama!

I'm so sorry for you loss!

I do want to mention that even though your baby did not have any chromosomal abnormalities, it does not mean that your baby was harmed by something that you did or did not do!

My son was born with a very rare syndrome, and ALL of his chromosomes are 100% normal. Please keep in mind that chromosome analysis is a limited way to assess for problems with a baby. Even though my sons chromosomes are normal, he was born with several birth defects, which were related to his syndrome...not something that I did or did not do.

I understand the questioning and self doubt...but I just wanted to tell you that most likely, your sweet little baby had all of the genetic material present at conception that contributed to why she didn't make it. Please don't beat yourself up over it....you gave life to this precious little child...even if it was just for a short while.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know all of those things, kwim? I'd just kinda like to give myself something to focus on other than worry....if that makes any sense at all. The day we found out I started taking my folic acid more regularly and increased it just because I knew we'd probably start trying again when we could. The whole situation just stinks I know lots of mamas have been there before me. Thanks for the nice words
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
newtocloth2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry, mama.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
I'm so sorry mama :hugs

Folic acid is very important in neurological development. So I would be sure to take a supplement for that.

Just because there was no chromosomal abnormalities does not mean that there was not a type of genetic mutation, most likely completely sporadic. I know it's hard not to, but you have to know that there was nothing you could have done to change the outcome, diet change or supplements.
This. I'm guessing all they did was ensure the chromosomes were all present in their proper number (no doubles or missing) and with no clear deformities (like a broken/shortened chromosome). But that doesn't mean the genes were all 100% perfect on the chromosomes. And most women today get plenty of folic acid, so of course it's good to get more, I wouldn't blame yourself or think that was necessarily the cause. Take vitamins if they make you feel better, but I would probably assume that it was a random genetic error, they happen, and they aren't anyone's fault.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote