Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:
I would definitely call. After have a blood clot in my lungs that was virtually symptomless I don't mess around with shortness of breath. Hopefully they can reassure you.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Shortness of breath... anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721 View Post
I'm calling the midwife today. I kept waking up overnight gasping for air. I'm feel like they'll just think I'm another hypochondriac pregnant lady, but I just don't feel okay... lightheaded and dizzy... from not even exerting any energy.
Are you experiencing heart paliptations on top of the shortness of breath?

The bolded is exactly what was happening to me when I was pregnant with my 3rd and I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolpase... which only bothers me when I am pregnant. It started with me waking up from a dead sleep, flying into a sitting position, and gasping for my breath. My midwife sent me to the cardiologist who did an EKG and sent me home to do a 24hr Holter Monitor. Once I took it back, he dxed me with the MVP, which is worse during pregnancy thanks to all the extra blood.

Basically, from what he told me, my mitral valve closes off before it allows all the blood to flow through. When that happens, the blood that didn't get through is kind of "back washed," and when lying flat on your back, it takes your breath away. SUCH a scary feeling, I know! He said at that point he didn't think the benefit of meds outweighed the risks, so until it became "debilitating," I had to just deal with it... which was both scary and annoying, although it did eventually end up subsiding. Not saying this is what you're dealing with, just saying it's a possibility.

Def give your midwife a call, mama. It can't hurt. I know how scary waking up gasping for your breath is, and you deserve some answers.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Shortness of breath... anyone else?

Thanks for the info ladies.
I tried to make the call to the midwife the other day... but their phone lines were down... so my plan in the meantime was to try drinking lots in case I was dehydrated and to restart my prenatal which I stopped when I felt so terrible... and within a day, I was feeling a bit better... and now 2 days later it's mildly bothersome. I slept all night last night - didn't even wake to pee No palpitations (that I remember) the other night, but I'll definitely keep that in mind in case this dreadful symptom returns.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote