Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Placing chicken order - UPDATED PICS!

Hi ladies! Ok so now that we know that ALLLLLLLL of our remaining 7 silkie/sizzles are roosters we are shopping for a new flock we decided to get babies that are "sex guaranteed" even though it isn't a true guarantee at least our odds should be better and we can adjust as needed. So we are working on re-homing or otherwise getting rid of these roosters...

Here's my list of breeds that we like. My questions are do you foresee any problems between this mix? And should I not get one or more of these breeds (like will one be aggressive to all the others, or one be submissive to all the others?). We want to maybe do like two of each but 5 easter eggers. Let me know your thoughts!

Barred Rock
Black Australorp
Blue Andalusian
Dominique
Easter Egger
Partridge Rock
Rhode Island Red

THANK YOU!!!!!

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant

Last edited by aumismommy; 09-21-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: pics
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Placing chicken order - anyone want to veto?

Add Orphingtons to that list, I hear great things about how mellow and sweet they are.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I only have a few of those breeds but I think that's a good combo, esp. with the larger group of EE's- I would guess they will be the most docile of that group and therefore better to have them in larger numbers. I like Orpingtons, but I'm not sure they'd be a good fit in that mix of hens. Their sweet demeanor, much like my lovely brahma, might get them beat up on quite frequently.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just had a friend tell me she loves her Orpington and Brahma so much she think we should get those.....

Is there a "most aggressive" breed in my list I should ditch? I thought I picked some pretty docile ones...?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well, it's just my 2 cents worth but the barred rock and the rhode island reds are two of the most aggressive or I think more nicely put, assertive breeds. I have heard that getting your BR's and RIR's from a breeder directly can make a world of difference but most hatchery RIR's and BR's are not purebred nor bred for temperament which can be quite bad. If you've got other breeds that can dish it just as well, then no worries.

I would stick with what you've chosen. Brahma's and orpingtons are great breeds for sure. They are as stated, very docile. Pushover would more accurately describe it. My brahma will sit and scream like a little girl while everyone pecks her bloody but not move or defend herself. She does not peck or make much noise. I wind up rescuing her so often it's ridiculous and she hasn't had all her tail feathers since the day they started coming in. She's four mos old! They are also BIG gals, think 10-14lbs. And brahmas don't lay very big eggs I'm told. I would like to get more in the future because I do love her. But never with my mean RIR and BSL girls.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 09-16-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My australorps are my by far meanest, and only 2! Second is the rir's even though I only have 3. They start all the fights and finish them. the rir's are even mean with me. They bite something fierce. I'm really considering ditching that breed. I'm getting sick of the attitude amongst them in the flock. Always causing problems when there would otherwise be none. My rocks were great, but super high up on the pecking order as well. They are gone. Gonna stick with the kindest of breeds now. They will be our staters. then raise their chicks and enjoy crossing them. I love to be able to tell them apart. Our barred rocks are timid but VERY friendly with us. They get picked on, but it's the age difference. Also becaue they have just been put with the flock of cochins in the holding pen. From what I have learned, brhamas and cochins are our fav! I have a friend that has my dream chicken. She raises buff orpingtons. So much like the cochins. They are just so sweet and friendly.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok how about if I do this... I just read this long article about andulasian and how they can be very flighty and timid.... So removing the barred rock, blue andalusian, rir and adding Orpington and Brahma (light or buff???)

Black Australorp
Dominique
Easter Egger
Partridge Rock
Brahma (buff or light???)
Buff Orphington

Two of everything but still 5 of the ee's

Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That list sounds good actually. Just to me, imho. Only 2 australorps is a good move. They can still run the hen house, don't get me wrong. But they will have some good compitition. It's good though that they will all be the same age! So they will learn whos boss from the get go. Very good idea to get more of the ee's. They are so tinid and small compared to the other breeds. I SUPER want some, just terrified they will get picke don by my big girls being newly introduced and not brought up together, kwim. Now for color. I adore the buff persionality. However, raiseing from the beginning, the lights would be great. I only have one brahma, she's a light, named Hope. I really love ours, she's just beyond terrified of us. he's doing better with the rest of the flock now. By far the most timid I have. BUT, she was severely neglected. I got as many as I could from the guy I got her from. Just introduced all the rest of the newbys a min ago. How they are raised has so much to do with it. Just imho. I really like your list. Good strong persionalities together, minus the ee's. But with you going with more ee, it may work out great for you. You are going with some well known sweeties. I bet you are so excited! Oh crud, congrats girl! Forgot to say it. Very exciteing time for you.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree w everyone, we had issues w our RIR and now we tried some barred rocks, they're horrible! Flighty, squirly, I don't like it. I do love my EE's and my buff brahmas and orpingtons.

Consider and speckled Sussex? They have a funny personality and are great pets.

Also FWIW my buffs always stand up for themselves-I know everyones are different.

Goodluck, I agree so exciting!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

If the reason you wanted the andalusian hen is because of the coloring, both orps and ameraucanas (the purebred form of the EE) come in "lavender"(grey) also called "blue".

blue/black/splash here:
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/...ana-p1227.aspx

I waaannnnttt some of the blue ameraucanas!!!

blue orps: ( I think this is for started pullet but just so you can see color)
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/...ton-p1226.aspx

Both light and buff brahmas are sweet, so you can choose whatever color it won't matter. There's also dark brahmas which are a partridge coloring.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 09-17-2012 at 12:08 PM.