Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

Leg stuck in between crib slats

My 16 month old daughter got her knee bruised up pretty badly last night I put her down early cause she was so cranky and only took one short nap today. About 20 minutes later, I hear her screaming, which is unusual for her. I get up there, she's sitting up and her leg is stuck in the slat, up past her knee and pinching her chubby thigh (with pjs and a sleep sack on). I tried pushing it back in, and tugging from inside, nothing doing. I ended up pushing her down and pulling her upper leg to get it unstuck. At that point, I wasn't as worried about bruising as just getting her leg out of there. I iced it as much as she'd let me, but there's a big purple line and scrape on the inside of her knee and the rest of her knee is swollen and red. I gave her ibuprofen, forced her to walk a few steps to me to make sure she'd bare weight, and then cuddled her until she fell asleep. I know there isn't really anything I could have done to prevent it, but I still feel awful :*(

I've been researching ways to keep her from putting her legs through. Regular bumpers don't work cause she just puts her leg over it and scrunches it down before putting her legs through.

http://www.americanlisted.com/missou..._13367141.html

What do you think of this? I've found it online new for $50 but I'm not sure it's worth it. Anyone have one?

Advertisement

I'm owner and operator of 3 Sweet Peas, cloth diaper WAHM shop on Etsy. Hand dyed bamboo fitted diapers and wool interlock covers, and more.
3SP Etsy
3SP Facebook
kbevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Leg stuck in between crib slats

Oh my gosh! That sounds scary. Do you think she was trying to climb out?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
Oh my gosh! That sounds scary. Do you think she was trying to climb out?
No, she sits at the edge and sticks her legs through either as she's playing to fall asleep or if she's awake and waiting for me to come get her.

I'm owner and operator of 3 Sweet Peas, cloth diaper WAHM shop on Etsy. Hand dyed bamboo fitted diapers and wool interlock covers, and more.
3SP Etsy
3SP Facebook
Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

If I am looking the right one it looks tied on. I imagine it wouldn't take much for your daughter to move it aside. If her room is safe for her I would consider going with a toddler bed before she hurts herself worse. At a year old she is kinda young but since she is getting hurt in her crib I don't know what else you can do.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow, I wish I had found that a few months ago when dd when through this phase. We put her in a pack and play for a while and tried the toddler bed, which didn't work, and then back to the crib about a month later. She's doing fine now, so I guess she worked through the urge to explore the slats.
I would either order that or try the pack and play. Our dd had a horrible bruise too, but healed quickly and she didn't really seem to notice it after the initial scary incident.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids all have done this a few times - almost always they are asleep when they do it, then wake because they can't move. Sometimes it's a struggle to get their leg back through - I find usually turning their leg to the narrowest part, then squeezing it back through, works.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

Pack and play is a good idea. She wears a sleep sack so she hasn't figured out how to climb out yet.

3SP Etsy
3SP Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
taylor's mom
Registered Users

my younger ds was doing this and getting awful bruises from it too. since it's summer and he's in shorts, i'd put lotion on his leg and it would slide back out easily. we found mesh crib bumpers and put those on. it stopped the issue completely.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
kbevie
Registered Users
seller

We have the smaller mesh bumpers, same height as a normal bumper, but that doesn't work cause she just pushes it down. Some pictures of the full height mesh one have it wrapping over like a teething cover. I've also considered just making one, but I don't have mesh, it would have to be flannel.

3SP Etsy
3SP Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD figured out how to climb out of her crib at 14months so I had to take the front off to make it a toddler bed. I just made sure her room was completely safe and she sleeps with either the door shut or a baby gate. So far it has worked perfectly for us. I cut down a pool noodle and put it under the sheet along the open side of the bed so she wouldn't roll out of the bed in her sleep. Actually even though she was climbing out of the crib it took her about 2 weeks to realize she could climb over the pool noodle and get out of the bed