Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Educate me on kids glasses.

There might be a possibility my ds 5 might need them.

I'm familiar with miraflex. Are those the best bet for an active little boy?

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Educate me on kids glasses.

Miraflex are AWESOME! My one year old had the same pair for two years and never broke them once! We have three kids with them right now. I've never had them on a kid that old, but I also didn't know about them when DS1 first got his glasses at five years old. You should know that they are pricey and you won't find them at major retailers or anything. They don't offer tons of styles but do have lots of colors. We order them from the optometrist office.

For my older son we have always gotten his glasses at Wal-Mart. They are cheap, you get 20% off any pair bought the same day (doesn't have to be for the same person), and they have an awesome warranty. We have had his glasses replaced three times in one year at no cost. Please do NOT get an eye exam done there though.

Those are the only places we have bought glasses but I have quite a bit of experience with those two if you have specific questions.

What makes you think he may need them?
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

I wish I knew about Miraflex. DS just got glasses and although I'm happy with what we found at the office, I really wanted something "kid proof". I didn't like the "kid proof" style they were pushing at all, the frames were way too thin.

DS is like me and takes great care with his things, but I still would've felt more comfortable getting him something durable.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaberkhie View Post
I wish I knew about Miraflex. DS just got glasses and although I'm happy with what we found at the office, I really wanted something "kid proof". I didn't like the "kid proof" style they were pushing at all, the frames were way too thin.

DS is like me and takes great care with his things, but I still would've felt more comfortable getting him something durable.
How old is he?

Sometimes it isn't about careful...a trip or a ball to the face can ruin glasses even if they take good care of stuff. But part of that depends on needs too....a lot of kids can take their glasses off for sports and stuff, but my DS can't.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Miraflex are AWESOME! My one year old had the same pair for two years and never broke them once! We have three kids with them right now. I've never had them on a kid that old, but I also didn't know about them when DS1 first got his glasses at five years old. You should know that they are pricey and you won't find them at major retailers or anything. They don't offer tons of styles but do have lots of colors. We order them from the optometrist office.

For my older son we have always gotten his glasses at Wal-Mart. They are cheap, you get 20% off any pair bought the same day (doesn't have to be for the same person), and they have an awesome warranty. We have had his glasses replaced three times in one year at no cost. Please do NOT get an eye exam done there though.

Those are the only places we have bought glasses but I have quite a bit of experience with those two if you have specific questions.

What makes you think he may need them?
He took an eye exam at his physical today and didn't do to well and he seemed to be really trying. She kept giving him chances too. I will know for sure on Tuesday when I follow up. It was the chart with shapes.

My other son had this happen but it turned out he didn't need them but the initial test was kind of iffy.

I want to be prepared with some information before I go in. That's good to know about Wal-Mart. I'll keep that in mind too.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

How expensive are we talking?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
He took an eye exam at his physical today and didn't do to well and he seemed to be really trying. She kept giving him chances too. I will know for sure on Tuesday when I follow up. It was the chart with shapes.

My other son had this happen but it turned out he didn't need them but the initial test was kind of iffy.

I want to be prepared with some information before I go in. That's good to know about Wal-Mart. I'll keep that in mind too.
Rereading my Wal-Mart comment it wasn't very clear so clarifying--if you buy multiple pairs in the same day, you pay full price for the first pair. Then you get 20% off any other glasses you order that day, for anyone in your family. If you have several in glasses it can be a significant savings.

For Miraflex the frame is around $90 and then the lenses vary depending on what you need...scratch resistant, anti glare, etc. Not sure what kind of medical coverage you have, but our bonus boys have Medicaid and we ended up paying $75oop for their miraflex. I figured it was more than worth it because Medicaid stinks when it comes to eye stuff. (They cover a pair a year, no warranty and no scratch resistantcy our anything, so I figured paying that up front and knowing they would last was with it.)

Fyi--that is how we find out our oldest son needed glasses. I was shocked, because he seemed to see fine. When he first put on his glasses he said "Wow, I can see all the way to the back of the store!" I felt horrible!!

ETA How his eye exam turns out would effect my choice too....if he has to wear glasses full time, durability is going to be more important than if he only has to wear them for reading.

Last edited by jen_batten; 03-23-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been wanting to change our eye doctor and my dh found one he likes. I will feel terrible if it's really bad. I think that's a natural mom reaction but I know they can be so good about compensating.

He is so rough that I can't see him in a regular pair but I'll wait and see what doctor says.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My daughter has always been very careless with things (okay, not true -- since turning 14 she's gotten better), and she started wearing glasses at 6, I think. We used to get glasses at Wal-Mart, and I loved getting glasses there. We never got any special frames, but I loved getting glasses there because they were under a 1 yr warranty, and their computer systems are connected, so when we bought glasses in Nevada and were visiting Michigan when her glasses broke (only pair in 10 years to break, btw), they were able to look it up, see they were under warranty, and fix them right there at no cost. I wouldn't spend the extra money on "kid-proof" glasses until you know if he's going to have issues with regular glasses.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
How old is he? Sometimes it isn't about careful...a trip or a ball to the face can ruin glasses even if they take good care of stuff. But part of that depends on needs too....a lot of kids can take their glasses off for sports and stuff, but my DS can't.
He's 6. That's true about the unpredictable stuff. He removes them for sports and wrestling around with his siblings.