Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tutoring wages

How much would you pay for a tutor for your child? I found a lady I was interested in seeing my oldest son for 2 hours a week for the remainder of the year but then she laid on the fact that she charges $30 an hour!!!

Am I just cheap or does that seem outrageous to anyone else?!

Advertisement

kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tutoring wages

I have no idea what the going rate is so take this with a grain of salt. But for an hour of focused tutoring I wouldn't take less than $30 an hour if I were the tutor.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know why $30 seems so outrageous to me. Maybe because the other candidate only charges $10/hr. She's a high school senior. I haven't looked into her yet. I started with the older lady because I thought DS would have more respect for her and actually pay attention to her versus someone only a couple years older then his big brother he may not take as seriously and not respect her authority. I would like to think that's not the case but I don't know. I feel like the older lady was the safer choice.
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
I don't know why $30 seems so outrageous to me. Maybe because the other candidate only charges $10/hr. She's a high school senior. I haven't looked into her yet. I started with the older lady because I thought DS would have more respect for her and actually pay attention to her versus someone only a couple years older then his big brother he may not take as seriously and not respect her authority. I would like to think that's not the case but I don't know. I feel like the older lady was the safer choice.

Hmm. That's a tough one. I'm sorry I'm not any help.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I think $30 is high, but I also know a lot of people pay that. I had thought about tutoring, since it is something that works well with homeschooling my kids, and I wouldn't charge more than $20.

I could see paying $30 MAYBE if she had some sort of special training in order to deal with a learning disability.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

A babysitter here is almost that much, for a 12 year old mothers-helper to keep two kids busy (but not 100% out of the way) around the house while the parents do yard chores without the kids constantly underfoot, and we had to go get and return the kiddo. For an hour of a grownups time using a skill, especially if they provided their own transit? I'd definitely see someone wanting to charge more than $30 for that here. Now that doesn't mean I'd want to pay it, but I could easily see that or more being charged here. It's going to depend on your local cost of living.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Where I am, most charge $45-$50/hour for individual tutoring. As part of a small group, its $30/hour/kid with 2-4 kids. If you go to a tutoring center (like Kumon or something) it's still $20/hour if not more, and you have to commit to "x" hours/week to get the $20/hr rate. I could probably find a teen that would do it for significantly less, but as the kids get older, that teacher-student dynamic diminishes as they get closer in age.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Misskelsey
Registered Users

Where I used to live, I made $50 an hour for tutoring, but I am a special education teacher with additional specialized training in reading for students with disabilities, and I lived in a wealthy area where people could afford and were perfectly willing to pay that. Where I live now, I make $20 an hour tutoring, but I really like the family and would charge more if I took on another student I didn't already know. A high school student might be a great option for lower cost, though! I charged less when I tutored in high school.
Misskelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:55 AM   #9
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

We're in the $50+/hour range here as well. When I was in 7th grade, which was a whooping 24 years ago, I made $10/hour to tutor a 4th grader. I couldn't imagine someone would even accept that now, even a high-schooler would expect $20+/hour.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote