Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #21
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I could not believe how hard she hit that post. It's SOLID hard wood oak and it has a slight dent in it.

Can I do anything to the wound to help it heal comfortably?

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #22
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If your child had stitches in their forehead...

My son had his forehead glued when he was 2, and there's a very faint scar. Nothing you'd even notice unless you were looking at him up close. He's a pale kid with very blond hair, so I'm sure skin pigmentation has a lot to do with it too. We kept a hat on his head every time we were in the sun for about 2 months, just so the scar wouldn't darken.
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #23
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I haven't experienced stitches with my own kids. However, 30 years ago, when my sister was 2, she and I were running around the sidewalk in front of our house. Actually we were going from our house to a neighbor's like 3 houses over and as we were passing in front of our next door neighbor's, she tripped. Our next door neighbor didn't have a yard, they had a rock garden, then entire yard was rocks. She fell and went down face first on a sharp rock, caught her right smack in the middle of her forehead. It bled A LOT. like down her face and arms and so on.

And of course she ended up with stitches right in the middle of her forehead. Only about 5. Huge bandage over the front of them, really pretty funny looking to my 4 yr old mind.

You can't even see it now. It's just a part of her forehead, but not a noticible part at all. She has chicken pox scars that are worse looking.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
I haven't experienced stitches with my own kids. However, 30 years ago, when my sister was 2, she and I were running around the sidewalk in front of our house. Actually we were going from our house to a neighbor's like 3 houses over and as we were passing in front of our next door neighbor's, she tripped. Our next door neighbor didn't have a yard, they had a rock garden, then entire yard was rocks. She fell and went down face first on a sharp rock, caught her right smack in the middle of her forehead. It bled A LOT. like down her face and arms and so on.

And of course she ended up with stitches right in the middle of her forehead. Only about 5. Huge bandage over the front of them, really pretty funny looking to my 4 yr old mind.

You can't even see it now. It's just a part of her forehead, but not a noticible part at all. She has chicken pox scars that are worse looking.
That does make me feel better, thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
MyLovely
Registered Users

I smacked my forehead on the bedside table when I was about your DD's age and had to get stitches. Getting the stitches is actually my first memory

It healed, but did leave a scar. It's never really bothered me though. It was more noticeable when I was young because it looked so much bigger on a child's head, but now it's maybe 1.5 inches long and nobody ever notices unless they're right in my face. My mom just cut bangs (until I was 7-8?) and that helped hide it. After that, I just didn't care.

Here are a few pictures. For some weird reason, it doesn't show up quite as much in pictures as it does in real life, but you can at least see most of it in these.

And to point out just how unnoticeable my scar was/is 20+ years later, I had to go WAY back through my Facebook pictures to find those two.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for writing and for the pics, every story is helpful!! This is my first experience seeing a kid get banged up bad enough to need stitches. I just feel bad for her, no girl wants to deal with a forehead scar.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #27
MyLovely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy View Post
Thanks for writing and for the pics, every story is helpful!! This is my first experience seeing a kid get banged up bad enough to need stitches. I just feel bad for her, no girl wants to deal with a forehead scar.
mama. It will all be fine. Fortunately, she probably won't remember the pain. Which I know isn't comforting now, but it will be once some time has passed. How your DD reacts to her scar when she's older will largely depend on how you and your DH handle it. My parents always talked about how cool scars were, how they told a story and made you a bada$$ They showed me some of theirs, from surgeries and accidents and all. Actually, my mole bothers me more than the scar

For the record, I was an incredibly vain teenager. I woke up at the crack of dawn and spent forever getting ready for school so I'd look good. Even then, my scar never bothered me. In fact, I liked it in a way...it made me feel unique. Heck, the actress Julie Gonzalo (who is GORGEOUS) is known by the scar between her eyebrows.

Last edited by MyLovely; 09-17-2012 at 12:48 PM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #28
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had stitches on my foreheard.. but it was close to the hairline, so not visible.

If my daughter had stitches on her anywhere, I'd rub liquid vitamin e on it atleast 2 times a day. I've had backsurgery and a csection, liquid vitamin e is wonderful.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you like the pictures I can post one of my facial scar. Its my lip not forehead but if they're making you feeling better I'll post mine as well.
Injuries to our children as so stressful

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #30
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
If you like the pictures I can post one of my facial scar. Its my lip not forehead but if they're making you feeling better I'll post mine as well.
Injuries to our children as so stressful

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
you're sweet, if its easy enough to post a pic that would be great.