Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #41
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeBabyBoy

It's so straight!
Why didn't they use DermaBond and glue it?

The sooner the take out the stitches (5-6 days) the less "tracks" will be left from the stitch holes.
Because the cut was so deep, the glue wouldn't have held it together well enough.

I plan to have the stitches out on Friday. The accident happened Sat night. So on the 6th day.

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #42
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had a similar size cut just above my eye brow in high school. It was red for about a year the disappeared. It's only noticeable now when I really look for it.

I was told to get vitamin E gel and put it on a few times a day to aid in the healing. I used the capsules (like you eat for supplements) and broke them and put it on. I remember it made it feel better and not so tight.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #43
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy

Because the cut was so deep, the glue wouldn't have held it together well enough.

I plan to have the stitches out on Friday. The accident happened Sat night. So on the 6th day.
Good news, that will help

Hope you're all doing okay. Once the stitches are out you'll breathe a little easier. At 3-4 weeks, it'll be much better. Wounds take a full 100 days to heal. After that, be diligent about sunscreen.

Speaking from plenty of experience here. I've had all kinds of accidents (from stitches, broken bones, surgeries). The last one was last month: DH + a car door + my forehead = trip to the plastic surgeon... I don't mess around any more!! Funny thing about it though was they rarely do they ever get a fresh cut. They were a little giddy they didn't have to do clean up work.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #44
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy
I can not even tell where something could have been by looking at your lip/chin, thanks for posting pics! I'm kicking myself for not thinking about a plastic surgeon doing the stitching on my little girl, boo!! The doctor did a good job with her stitches and closed it up exactly straight since it was such a straight cut but now knowing there could have been a better way I'm disappointed.
Try not to stress
It looks like they did a great job stitching her up.
The only reason a plastic surgeon stitched me was b/c the ER doc recommended it. I was so young, my lip was in two peices and he didnt want to leave me with a huge scar. My mother didnt know to ask either.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #45
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

You are all so kind, and really are helping to make me feel better about all this. I don't know why i am so worried about it, I am generally a pretty relaxed mom who weathers storms without freaking out. *sigh* maybe its the sight of my little girl's head looking so unsightly that makes my stomach turn.
I did not realize wounds like that take so long to heal up...100 days! I guess that's about 3 months.
I guess if it had to happen, better the 2 yr old than the 6 yr old in 1st grade. The younger girl will not remember and will heal better I am guessing.

Last edited by mariamommy; 09-19-2012 at 08:04 AM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #46
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Question about sunscreen....fall and winter are coming, I guess I can be thankful i am not facing long days in the sun at the pool but I suppose I should be diligent even in winter months to avoid exposure.

Anybody have a good recommendation on the "chapstick" dispenser style sunscreen? All we have are the spray kind, I am not going to spray her face with that stuff.

Doesn't neutrogena make something like that I can toss in my purse and apply when needed?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
aemarques
Registered Users
seller

If you like neutrogena I know they make a pure and free baby sunscreen that comes in a stick. It's super cute in a pink container.

Also almost forgot to mention that scar creams really work well and I think they even make a kids one too by mederma.

Last edited by aemarques; 09-19-2012 at 08:27 AM.
aemarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #48
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemarques
If you like neutrogena I know they make a pure and free baby sunscreen that comes in a stick. It's super cute in a pink container.

Also almost forgot to mention that scar creams really work well and I think they even make a kids one too by mederma.
Both good to know, thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #49
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Here is 7 days after the accident, stitches were taken out yesterday.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #50
kushie tushie
No Longer Here

My Mood:
She's healing nicely

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote