View Poll Results: What age did you child stop napping?
Age 1-2 years parent lead 3 4.76%
Age 1-2 years child lead 24 38.10%
Age 3-4 years parent lead 2 3.17%
Age 3-4 years child lead 26 41.27%
Age 5-6 years parent lead 6 9.52%
Age 5-6 years child lead 9 14.29%
Forever I hope!! 3 4.76%
Honestly I need a daily nap myself! 11 17.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Right on his third birthday, when we took away his pacifier. Once it was gone, he never napped again.

Advertisement

lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Both mine stopped before 18 months. I I remember DD1 was 17 months and DD2 was 15 months. I have crazy kids with low sleep needs.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #23
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What age did your child give up naps?

DD1 gave up naps at 2 (it started being a huge battle at 18 months)
DS gave up naps at 3, but still naps occasionally if we are in the car
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
Newton
Registered Users

DD tried to give them up at 2, I persisted and she went back to napping, around 3.5 she gave it up for good.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #25
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Out of all of those options, none of mine was there. I voted 5-6 years, but they all gave up naps by age 5. I did say child led, but obviously they would never take a nap if they had the ultimate choice. They don't get the ultimate choice b/c they aren't old enough to know what their body needs regarding sleep. I would gather most of the kids today are overtired and don't get anywhere near enough sleep their body needs.

I take a nap about 3-4 times a week. My body needs it so I make sure I keep up on my rest so I don't get sick. Which apparently, it helps since it has been quite a while since I've gotten sick.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #26
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Out of all of those options, none of mine was there. I voted 5-6 years, but they all gave up naps by age 5. I did say child led, but obviously they would never take a nap if they had the ultimate choice. They don't get the ultimate choice b/c they aren't old enough to know what their body needs regarding sleep. I would gather most of the kids today are overtired and don't get anywhere near enough sleep their body needs.

I take a nap about 3-4 times a week. My body needs it so I make sure I keep up on my rest so I don't get sick. Which apparently, it helps since it has been quite a while since I've gotten sick.
Hummm... I wonder if I worded the poll weird. I was wondering if the child just gave up napping themselves, or the parent decided to cut the nap. In the kids around me I see some parents cutting naps, even though they admit their kids still need them, but they are just not able to get them in their schedules and eventually the kids stop napping, and some kids that just decided they don't need naps anymore, even if the parents begged them to keep napping.

Like I said I am just wondering since it seems like some times my son is the only one still napping in our group of friends (which is pretty small, since we are new to the area). He seems to take at least a 2 hour nap daily sometimes 3 hours. I love it, but with preschool starting I am hoping to cut the nap time down, and was wondering if at his age he was the only one still having a daily nap. The poll leads me to think he isn't alone. Oh and I know he still needs it, since he actually comes and tells me most days when he's ready to go have a nap.

Last edited by Fairycat; 09-17-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #27
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is just starting to stop now. He is 5.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #28
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

My oldest [almost 6] stopped last year just as he turned 5. My youngest is 4 and still naps.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #29
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have a 4yo, a 2.5yo and a 5mo and we all nap in the afternoon still.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #30
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD1 is 4.5 and hasn't napped regularly since 3. From 3-4 she took a nap less and less. I don't force them to sleep, I do still have quiet time for everybody, where they have to sit quietly and we listen to some music. Sometimes I am in there with them, stroking backs etc. It just depends on the day.

DD2 is 2.5 and just starting to drop her nap. It's getting harder to put her down for a sleep most days and if she naps it is very difficult to get her to bed at night. I still think she needs the extra sleep though, even if she goes to bed a bit later, because otherwise she falls asleep during dinner, or becomes a crying mess. I just don't like how non-compliant she is when she is tired. I am not really prepared to deal with it, just to get her to bed a bit earlier, so I am still trying to get her to nap if I can. Of course you can't MAKE somebody sleep, so I am following her lead. I will go the extra mile though to get her down if I have the time to do so. I also make sure that after she's been asleep about half an hour I open the curtains and we don't be too quiet etc, so that she can wake up and not go into a really deep sleep for hours.