View Poll Results: What age did you child stop napping?
Age 1-2 years parent lead 3 4.76%
Age 1-2 years child lead 24 38.10%
Age 3-4 years parent lead 2 3.17%
Age 3-4 years child lead 26 41.27%
Age 5-6 years parent lead 6 9.52%
Age 5-6 years child lead 9 14.29%
Forever I hope!! 3 4.76%
Honestly I need a daily nap myself! 11 17.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #31
Formerly: Boomer
My Mood:
Re: What age did your child give up naps?

My oldest didn't stop napping until the day before kindergarten started, so she was not quite 5 years old. She had to adjust to her new schedule, but she did quickly.

My second child gave up naps around late 2s to early 3s. I can't really remember.

My third child was (is) an awful sleeper. He cat napped a lot and by 15-18 months old, he was done napping. The problem was, being so young, he really did need the sleep and late afternoons were a nightmare every day. There was nothing I could do to make him sleep (we were co-sleepers as well) and even nights were fitful. Probably because he was too tired from the day, but he's 7 now and still sleeps restless.

My fourth child was around a young 2 when he gave up naps. He definitely wasn't ready to, but he wanted to do everything big brother did (they are 19 months apart.) He wasn't as near a cranky child from not napping and he slept well at night, too. What's funny is that if he DID fall asleep for a nap, he woke up in a BAD mood, I guess from being angry that he missed out on something.

A real woman always has a clean house, an empty laundry basket, smells good, is well made-up, slim, healthy, eloquent, and perfectly well behaved...I suspect I am a man.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #32
Registered Users

Last edited by squiddles; 09-20-2012 at 08:46 PM.
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #33
Registered Users
My Mood:

Both my boys stopped daily naps at 18 months, child lead. Once in awhile they will nap when we're at home, or in the car if it's long enough. They aren't crabby or cranky kids during the day so I guess it works for them. They both sleep 12 hours at night, child lead as well, and both go to bed around 7:30 or 8 pm, also child lead.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #34
Registered Users

My oldest started fighting his naps at 3, so much so that it became easier to just let him stay up and put him down for the night a little earlier. He's almost 4 now, and he does just fine without his naps. My youngest is 2 and definitely still needs his naps!
Jen :: Mom to Jude (11/08) and Cohen (08/10)!

WAHM behind Serwa Chic:Cloth Diapers, Nursing Covers, Wetbags & Long Sleeve Bibs!My Family Blog: Jenny.erally
judeabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #35
Registered Users
My Mood:

DS1 gave them up around 2. DS2 still naps.
Diana , wife to Charlie mommy to Kyler (2008) Corbin (2009) and Weston (2012)
MunkyCrazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #36
Registered Users
My Mood:

DS completely gave up naps on his own when he was around 18 months old. Having him in daycare where I worked was fun. They struggled with him trying to FORCE him to nap, no matter how much I tried to tell them he won't nap anymore. Then they turned their frustrations onto me b/c I worked there. He never took another nap again.
Mom to Greyson, 14

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #37
Registered Users

DD1 was 2.5 when I stopped her nap to get her and DD2 to have the same bedtime for my sanity! DD2 napped up until she was 3 regularly, and off and on since then (no more than once every 2 weeks now, and that is only if I don't get her up from her "rest" time soon enough!). They have both always been really good night sleepers (12 hours minimum!)
__________________ to three silly girls, 7, 5 and brand new!!!
Plus two dogs, and oh yeah, DH!
craigwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #38
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
Hummm... I wonder if I worded the poll weird. I was wondering if the child just gave up napping themselves, or the parent decided to cut the nap. In the kids around me I see some parents cutting naps, even though they admit their kids still need them, but they are just not able to get them in their schedules and eventually the kids stop napping, and some kids that just decided they don't need naps anymore, even if the parents begged them to keep napping.

Like I said I am just wondering since it seems like some times my son is the only one still napping in our group of friends (which is pretty small, since we are new to the area). He seems to take at least a 2 hour nap daily sometimes 3 hours. I love it, but with preschool starting I am hoping to cut the nap time down, and was wondering if at his age he was the only one still having a daily nap. The poll leads me to think he isn't alone. Oh and I know he still needs it, since he actually comes and tells me most days when he's ready to go have a nap.
No nothing at you. I just think it is funny how many different options you have and mine didn't really qualify. I guess there could be like 20 options, right?

DD3 did not want to still take naps last year b/c her older 2 sisters weren't. Even though they did at her age, lol. She would tell me she wasn't tired, yet she would lay down and be asleep within 2 minutes and sleep 2 1/2 hours. It is easy for kids to say they aren't tired when they are running around being active. My 3 year old niece hasn't napped in over a year and I can see that she really still needs a nap. She just gets so made and frustrated so easily, melts down every day around 5pm. She has a hard time going to bed at night b/c she is so overtired. Her body can't get into the good sleep pattern it needs.
sahm to 3 little women and 1 little man who keep me extremely busy and take all of my time away from here!
I have LOTS of toys to sell....My Little Pony, Fisher Price ramp & speedway, Littlest Pet Shop, you name it I probably have it! PM me!
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote