Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Gothmommy's Avatar
Gothmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NorthEast Pennsylvania
Posts: 470
My Mood:
Need to Change... Help Me Figure out How

Hi ladies. I'm having some trouble figuring out what I should do. I weigh about 230 pounds right now, which is by far the most I've ever weighed. I know I felt 'healthy' at around 150, so I really need to drop the weight.
I stink at finding the motivation to exercise, I always have. I eat junk on a regular basis. I've been looking around online, and I'm slowly realizing I have a lot of signs of a gluten or wheat intollerance. I'm already lactose intollerant, so I'm severely bummed.

I'm also on foodstamps, and don't have the money to buy books on eating gluten-free. My local library was also just in the paper for a bedbug infestation, so I'm avoiding that place like the plague. Is there a website anywhere that has recipe ideas, meal planners, and a clear-cut definition of what foods I should avoid?

On an average day, I have a cup of coffee for breakfast (about a cup of whole milk - I'm switching to lactatud as soon as I can get groceries in again, and about 2tbsp of sugar - I just switched to truvia... which tastes funny). Around lunch I have maybe 2 grilled cheese sandwiches with 3 slices of cheese each, and butter... For dinner I'll eat two bowls of chili-macaroni with shredded cheese. I munch on chips, string cheese, goldfish crackers, soda, cookies, etc.

I know I desperately need to change my eating habits, but it seems so daunting.
Is there any way I can go gluten/wheat free and have my morning coffee, a snack, and filling foods? I love green peppers, salads, tomatos, fruits, and lotsd of other things, but I just can't figure out how to start the transition.

Any advice would be awesome! (I already track calories, and generally eat between 1200-1600 a day)

This message won't self destruct in 30 seconds.

Advertisement

__________________
Aimee, Mama to Seth, 7 and Seras, 2
Earning Money on ICS and on PaidViewpoints!
Bloggin' it up on Dirt-Cheap Mama
Gothmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
keen1981's Avatar
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmommy
Hi ladies. I'm having some trouble figuring out what I should do. I weigh about 230 pounds right now, which is by far the most I've ever weighed. I know I felt 'healthy' at around 150, so I really need to drop the weight.
I stink at finding the motivation to exercise, I always have. I eat junk on a regular basis. I've been looking around online, and I'm slowly realizing I have a lot of signs of a gluten or wheat intollerance. I'm already lactose intollerant, so I'm severely bummed.

I'm also on foodstamps, and don't have the money to buy books on eating gluten-free. My local library was also just in the paper for a bedbug infestation, so I'm avoiding that place like the plague. Is there a website anywhere that has recipe ideas, meal planners, and a clear-cut definition of what foods I should avoid?

On an average day, I have a cup of coffee for breakfast (about a cup of whole milk - I'm switching to lactatud as soon as I can get groceries in again, and about 2tbsp of sugar - I just switched to truvia... which tastes funny). Around lunch I have maybe 2 grilled cheese sandwiches with 3 slices of cheese each, and butter... For dinner I'll eat two bowls of chili-macaroni with shredded cheese. I munch on chips, string cheese, goldfish crackers, soda, cookies, etc.

I know I desperately need to change my eating habits, but it seems so daunting.
Is there any way I can go gluten/wheat free and have my morning coffee, a snack, and filling foods? I love green peppers, salads, tomatos, fruits, and lotsd of other things, but I just can't figure out how to start the transition.

Any advice would be awesome! (I already track calories, and generally eat between 1200-1600 a day)

This message won't self destruct in 30 seconds.
Wellto be honest most people have symptoms of those intolerances.. And right now, unless you have major issues, ignore it. It's only going to make this harder. I went through some serious IBS issues and told gluten free was the way to go. Nope. Just needed time and less stress. So really it's running rampant right now. Everyone needs to be gluten free it seems.

In your post you listed all these negative things about yourself. So my guess is your self confidence is the big issue. You know you do all these wrong things but don't trust yourself to do the right thing, so you say screw it.

I come from a family of obesity. I'm
Actually the only healthy weight one... And I fight to stay here.

Hardest part is saying NO. Not to others but to the person inside. No, I will not buy a candy bar. No it's not a reward. I did not 'earn' it. It does5 not cancel out the out the salad. Kwim?

I choose to not buy junk. Its my
Answer. I will not spend my
Own money killing myself. So a birthday party, or whatever cake is fine. A small piece. But you will never find it in my grocery cart, kwim?

Start using Myfitnesspal. Anything you put in your mouth goes into that app. And walk. 15 minutes. Start there.
__________________
BFing, CDing, all natural mama to three boys! Certified lactation Counselor
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
irelandclover
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,360
Re: Need to Change... Help Me Figure out How

I agree with keen, join my fitness pal. I think one of the issues is portion control,. Your lunch alone is around 1000 calories, give or take. Start with baby steps and you will see the momentum to eat well and exercise grow strength.
irelandclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Gothmommy's Avatar
Gothmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NorthEast Pennsylvania
Posts: 470
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandclover
I agree with keen, join my fitness pal. I think one of the issues is portion control,. Your lunch alone is around 1000 calories, give or take. Start with baby steps and you will see the momentum to eat well and exercise grow strength.
I use an app called 'Lose It' that tracks calories and weight loss/gain. Portion control is an issue, yes, but it's not the only issue.

This message won't self destruct in 30 seconds.
__________________
Aimee, Mama to Seth, 7 and Seras, 2
Earning Money on ICS and on PaidViewpoints!
Bloggin' it up on Dirt-Cheap Mama
Gothmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Gothmommy's Avatar
Gothmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NorthEast Pennsylvania
Posts: 470
My Mood:
Ok, I'm active on MyFitnessPal again. :-) My username there is reikagoth If asyone wants to add me.

This message won't self destruct in 30 seconds.
__________________
Aimee, Mama to Seth, 7 and Seras, 2
Earning Money on ICS and on PaidViewpoints!
Bloggin' it up on Dirt-Cheap Mama
Gothmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
mebl0901's Avatar
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,003
Re: Need to Change... Help Me Figure out How

I agree with Keen about not buying junk. I refuse to buy cookies, candy, chips, etc. I know my limits and my self control is not great if I have those kinds of things in my house. If I buy that stuff, I *will* eat it! I do buy some treats for the kids but buy them in individual packages because for some reason if it's a big box or bag, I'll eat it but if it's in individual packages, I won't. I also make sure that the "treats" aren't oreos and doritos, but things like goldfish and animal crackers. They also like fruit, cheese, nuts, and popcorn so I keep things like that for them and it's ok for me too.

If there is a certain time of the day that you have to have a treat, buy some small healthy options for you to eat. Start with getting 100 calorie ice cream bars or something. Limit yourself to one a day and eat that when the cravings get to be overwhelming. I do that and it's not the best or healthiest option, but it's better than sitting down with a box of cookies or carton of ice cream. DH always snacks after supper and it's contagious so I make sure I have a small, healthy option if need be. As for other snacks, try yogurt, almonds, wheat crackers or raw veggies with hummus, low fat string cheese with a few slices of deli meat, fresh fruit dipped in light flavored yogurt, etc. Read portion sizes and go by that. If you HAVE to have soda, switch to diet and slowly try and wean yourself off.

Are you on Pinterest? That's a great place to go looking for good recipes. Get the whole family invovled in eating healthfully. For supper we grill a lot, mostly chicken or pork tenderloin. Add a green veggie and a starch (careful with that!) and everyone is happy. Avoid casseroles, cheese/butter laden dishes, creamy dressings/sauces/soups, anything fried, etc - those things tend to be very calorie heavy.

Get outside. Go for a brisk walk. Look for a work out DVD. You can find one online or at Walmart for less than $10. Burning calories and being active is so important!

For breakfast - have your coffee and eat something - whole wheat toast, an egg or two, oatmeal, yogurt, or granola

For lunch try one sandwich of turkey, light cheese, lettuce and tomato and some fruits or raw veggies in a healthy dip

For dinner - see above. Light protein (chicken, pork, fish), any and all veggies you like, brown rice (if your family prefers white - try to switch or buy the individual cups just for yourself), sweet potatoes, etc

Hope this helps!!
__________________
Proud mama of 9/07 and 11/10
mebl0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Gothmommy's Avatar
Gothmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NorthEast Pennsylvania
Posts: 470
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebl0901
For breakfast - have your coffee and eat something - whole wheat toast, an egg or two, oatmeal, yogurt, or granola
I'm really not big on breakfast at all... would just a boiled egg work, or should I try to divide my caloric intake up more evenly? I eat move at lunch then any other time of day, usually... Oh, and light cheese? I generally do muenster, provalone, monterrey jack, or smoked gouda... are any of those light?

Oh... and... what the heck is hummus anyways? I've never tried it because I have no idea what it is!

I don't usually eat beef or pork often, I love seafood and poultry (even turkey bacon)...

This message won't self destruct in 30 seconds.
__________________
Aimee, Mama to Seth, 7 and Seras, 2
Earning Money on ICS and on PaidViewpoints!
Bloggin' it up on Dirt-Cheap Mama
Gothmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
mebl0901's Avatar
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,003
Re: Need to Change... Help Me Figure out How

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmommy View Post
I'm really not big on breakfast at all... would just a boiled egg work, or should I try to divide my caloric intake up more evenly? I eat move at lunch then any other time of day, usually... Oh, and light cheese? I generally do muenster, provalone, monterrey jack, or smoked gouda... are any of those light?

Oh... and... what the heck is hummus anyways? I've never tried it because I have no idea what it is!

I don't usually eat beef or pork often, I love seafood and poultry (even turkey bacon)...

This message won't self destruct in 30 seconds.
I would do more than just a boiled egg. An egg is less than 100 calories and you should really get more than that. Try an egg and 1 piece or toast, or an egg and a piece of fruit. Breakfast isn't my favorite meal of the day but it's important to fuel your day and keep your metabolism going.

As far as light cheese goes, there are alot of packages of sliced cheese that say "reduced fat" or "light." I like the Sargento 45 calorie thin slices. I think there are a few different varieties.

Hummus is basically ground chickpeas. Sounds gross but it's really good! Looking in your deli section in the grocery store and try it out. There are usually good flavors like garlic or roasted red pepper. It's good on crackers, pita chips, or raw veggies. Sabra is a good brand.

Seafood and poultry are great! I'm not big on cooking seafood - not because I don't like it, but just because I feel like I don't cook it right. It's certainly good for you and generally low in calories as long as you don't fry it.
__________________
Proud mama of 9/07 and 11/10
mebl0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
d_arnold's Avatar
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,563
My Mood:
Re: Need to Change... Help Me Figure out How

I cook 80% of our meals from Skinnytaste.com. Everything is delicious and my husband has no idea he's eating "diet food". Most of her meals are affordable to make and aren't too time consuming.

I second the My Fitness Pal app. I love it and it helps keep my accountable.

For breakfast, I eat a Bagel Thin (Thomas I think is the brand) which is 110 calories and scramble an egg which is about 70 calories. Try something like that so it will satisfy you longer.

Also, try eating more often throughout the day. I find I'm able to keep tabs on myself more when I don't let myself ever get super hungry. When I get that hungry I usually will just grab anything in site, rather than grabbing something healthy.
__________________
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.