Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Natural birth with a tear

Ok, is this just me or are there others? I had a natural birth and a small tear with each of my last two. I made it through the contractions, the pushing, the delivery, everything, feeling like Superwoman and full of power. Half hour after delivery I get back on the bed and they go to stitch me up and I whimper and sob through the Lidocaine needle pricks and stitches, and when they start poking my belly to massage the uterus I just start complaining 'That hurts so bad!'

I don't know why I break down like such a baby! I guess I just assume that I made it through the most challenging part, and I'm ready to relax and snuggle but now they keep poking at my most tender, bruised parts...

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Natural birth with a tear

I found the lidocaine shots much harder to deal with than the labor and pushing too. Don't really remember that hte massaging hurt though.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first I didn't really notice, I didn't have tears bad enough for the other two. My third I was in a lot of pain during the placenta delivery, I was crying and ended up with just a removal because I had NO idea what I was doing, I was like "seriously, this is ridiculous I just pushed a 16 inch head out this thing should be easy!"
Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
GumpR
Registered Users
seller

I think you're on an emotional high right after the birth, and the stitching up probably kills that buzz quite a bit! You're a tough mama, we can only handle so much though
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

I felt the same way! I asked my midwife to wait a bit before stitching me up (I only needed three stitches) because I didn't want to handle the pain at the time. I half jokingly asked for an epidural just for the stitches lol. Seriously, though, labor is pain with a good purpose, but stitches are just...ugh. I am really glad that my midwife was so gentle so the shots and the stitches hardly hurt, but I still felt like a baby about it! And the after pains too. I took Tylenol to deal with them although they were only like period cramps. But I was done with the pain!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Glad its not just me then!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also think getting stitches is worse than birth pains. Thankfully I have only had them with two of my births. And the after pains, eek, worse than labor IMO.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

You are not the only one, nI had two totally unmedicated vanginal births and only complained durring transition. I was cut with my first and I swear that dr (not the one I chose) had never stitched a woman that hadn't had an epidural. It hurt so bad and I could feel everything. My second I tore and had three stiches and my midwife was so gentle I barely noticed, but the after pains were killer. I would cry while I nursed they hurt so bad, fortunately my midwife called in some stronger painkillers and didn't have any problems after the first few days. My opinion is, once the baby is out, I want to be as comfortable as possible and will take medication if that is what is what works.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
GumpR
Registered Users
seller

Ugh I had sort of forgotten about the cramping pain while nursing. I remember reading about them online described as "uncomfortable" and thinking uncomfortable?? How bout painful??
Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

um yea. I declined the stitches for all of my tears. No thanks! I can't even think of how that would feel.

I had some small 1st and 2nd degree tears with my 1st. I had lots of 1st and 2nd degree tearing with my son, and one internal 3rd degree tear, but it was only about 1 inch long and not bleeding too badly. And I has some small 1st degree tears with my last labor.

Did you know you could decline the stitches? You may not WANT to, but you can if you aren't bleeding profusely. Just letting you know it is an option if you want to explore it.

My tears all healed fine and I don't have any remaining pain or issues from them at all.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote