Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #21
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If you had no pain meds and tore

With DS, I tore and had no pain meds. If the pain I felt was from tearing, I didn't know it. The only thing I felt was the lidocaine needle for the stitches. I didn't feel pain from the stitching, just the tugging my MW was doing it, which was just weird and uncomfortable. I only pushed for about 5 minutes.

Advertisement

TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8213 View Post
With DS, I tore and had no pain meds. If the pain I felt was from tearing, I didn't know it. The only thing I felt was the lidocaine needle for the stitches. I didn't feel pain from the stitching, just the tugging my MW was doing it, which was just weird and uncomfortable. I only pushed for about 5 minutes.
This is really all I care about. I don't actually care if I feel the pain as long as I don't realize that I'm tearing. I realize, I probably will, but I really don't want to be thinking about it. Of the entire experience, the thought of my lady parts ripping open is really bothering me. I know it's happened before and honestly, it wasn't a big deal. But, I didn't feel it at all and I attribute that to the epi even though it was turned off at least 30 minutes prior. Even with my first when I had my 3rd degree tear, it wasn't that big of a deal. (the second was the biggest deal with the episiodomy. ) I really didn't care for the feeling of being stitched up, but it wouldn't say it was painful, just weird and uncomfortable. The thought of the needle for the pain meds isn't bothering me, just the thought of tearing.

I really appreciate everyone reassuring me and telling me your experiences. Thank you!!

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 09-17-2012 at 09:39 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
sarchamar
Registered Users
seller

I did feel myself tear, but it was completely painless. My old scar line ("as third-degree as you can get", according to my OB) basically gave way. It's possible I was only aware of the sensation because it was a larger tear.

That said, I can totally identify with your fear because I felt the same way before I gave birth. It was more the idea of tearing that scared me than any pain I might feel. All I can tell you is that I was far too focused on pushing to feel the least bit of concern when it actually happened. I knew what it was but was just so "in the zone" that I couldn't be bothered to care. Since it didn't hurt at all, it hardly seemed worth my attention.

I don't know if that helps or not, but that was my experience. And like others said, the stitching was not fun, but I would much rather endure the stitching for a few minutes than deal with the after effects of the epidural. That tear was also a breeze to recover from in spite of the fact that it was a relatively long one.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #24
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug2311
I didn't have an epi with my daughter. I ripped in 3 places. It was 4-5 hours of labor, 15 mins of pushing. I didn't feel myself tearing at all. When my midwife told me I tore I was actually surprised. The sewing up afterwards was what hurt, in my opinion.
Ditto.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't feel the tearing. The only thing that I found very painful were the numbing shots given before they stitched me

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did natural with both of mine and tore with both of them. I wasn't able to tell the difference between baby coming out and the tearing. The numbing shots and the stitching up were more painful than I'd care to remember though.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #27
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tore with all 3 (4th, 3rd and 2nd degree) and I didn't feel it at all.

The only thing I felt with my 4th degree tear was a *pop*, but I now know that was my tailbone breaking, which also did not hurt when it happened...just horribly afterwards. My dr tried to convinced me it was the tear that caused the pop feeling and the pain, but it was not.

Like others said, the stitches hurt WAY worse than the tearing, but didn't last very long.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tore with both of my deliveries. My babies were small but the first came out with her hand near her head... and I don't remember what position the second was in. My first labor was induced, no meds, and my second labor was all natural, no meds - much easier than the first! I was surprised what a "breeze" natural labor was in comparison, really the only hard part for me to deal with was the pushing. In my experience, with the intensity and the pressure of pushing the baby out you can't differentiate between what's hurting where, and I had no idea I tore. When I was stitched up, however, they were unable to numb me up on the outside and that really hurt! Nothing compared to the delivery, though. I healed up really quickly and my midwife can't even see any scars now.

Visit my Etsy shop, Gwendylicious!
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tore with my unmedicated delivery. Second degree. Yes, I felt myself ripping. At the time, though, I didn't care. It felt kind of like an unzipping, if that makes any sense- like something just gave way. (And it did, I suppose. The baby's head popped out.) It's hard to say if it was exactly painful. The entire process was excruciating, so like I said at the time I didn't really care that I was tearing. I just wanted it to be over.

I did not tear with my epidural delivery the next time, though.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't feel it the first two times but the third time I did. It wasn't horrible. I was bummed because I was hoping not to but beyond that I didn't have much time to think about it. Getting stitched up is no fun but the third time I opted to heal naturally with herbal baths...best decision ever!

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote