Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #1221
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: KAL! Sept 16-22. Knit a present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzee1081 View Post
Oh don't worry, I have been and will definitely be making the decision myself, I just thought it'd be nice to have some input from people I "know" regarding what they love about their wheels (or don't for that matter) but whatever.
The smaller the actual wheel, the more difficult it can be to keep momentum going. If you don't have medical problems with one leg/ankle/foot most people find they prefer double treadle. The methods and weights of yarns you plan to experiment with make a lot of difference. I like having the double drive and scotch tension options available, so most of my wheels have had both.

Pros and cons:
Kromski Minstrel: Treadles are angled up quite high and uses leather connectors everywhere, no plastic. This wheel would last forever but NEEDS maintenance, particularly if unfinished. Moving parts constantly need oil, grease, wax etc. Plastic and bearings can produce a faster/smoother spin with lower maintenance, but it's in what you're looking for there. It's a double treadle with double drive and ST option and variety of available whorls. Spins wonderfully.

Ashford Traveller: compact wheel, double drive with ST option, but I found that the small wheel never went fast enough for me, I tend to gravitate to high speed spinning. Even at knitting/spinning group I hear "wow you spin FAST" which I never really thought I did, but whatever. This wheel was too slow for me, I was constantly power treadling. I also never made a bad skein of yarn on it, and it's very attractive. Ashford has smaller bobbins than some brands (Kromski and Schacht have bigger bobbins, I get a tighter wind on Kromskis but they fit about the same amount of yarn on them in the end). Ashford standard bobbins fit maybe 2.5 oz, so I jumped to the jumbo flyer and bobbins quickly.

Kromski Sonata: the great spin of Kromski in a folding wheel with bearings and minimal maintenance. It's WONDERFUL. Because of the travel part, it is scotch tension only, the whorls are part of the flyer (common with single drive/scotch setup wheels) and you have less options for ratios. The want for more ratios/speeds is what made me look for other wheels.

Schacht Matchless: It spins fairly smoothly. The double-drive is just ok, I guess a lot of people don't use it and uptake problems don't sound to be rare. They set up a "quick release" mechanism for bobbins which is actually more complicated than my other wheels, and the tuning on that mechanism seems to be behind the problems I've had with the drive band jumping off the wheel. It has more available ratios than most on the market, which is what made me buy it. It is finnicky in how it is set up, bobbins turned the wrong way instead of speeding up or slowing down ratio just don't work. A slant in the floor made it not work, but you can adjust the support pegs to even it out (other wheels you can't adjust, but you don't need to adjust).

My entry level spinning recommendation*********: Kromski Fantasia. Spins well, runs on bearings, has a magnetic bobbin release which is truly easy-release, vs. the one that constantly needs tweaking and leaves me covered in grease... I know many happy owners of this wheel. The downside to a fantasia is that it is a beginner wheel and people do grow out of it. It does not support a woolee winder but has a sliding hook flyer so you can manually move it to wind even bobbins. It is single drive only but a different whorl setup so you can customize a bit better than most scotch wheels.

Advertisement

Like my Facebook! Etsy

Last edited by Scaethach; 09-21-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Edit: I have only given a thorough breakdown on wheels I've owned. I've spun on others but not enough to give a real review
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #1222
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

And yes if you can sit down and spin with wheels before you buy that will be my recommendation 100% of the time no question.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Old 09-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #1223
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Karen

She only wore the bottom left and bottom right

These ones I she wore these a bunch

These never fit her . I love them!
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #1224
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Karen

She only wore the bottom left and bottom right

These ones I she wore these a bunch

These never fit her . I love them!
Cute! Pixie has such fat feet I can't find shoes for her. I'm planning to buy her Pitterpat wides.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #1225
stevensmom
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaethach

Cute! Pixie has such fat feet I can't find shoes for her. I'm planning to buy her Pitterpat wides.
Emily has fat feet too. That why these are all still brand new.
Swag with me! Bing it!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #1226
Dayzee1081
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

The smaller the actual wheel, the more difficult it can be to keep momentum going. If you don't have medical problems with one leg/ankle/foot most people find they prefer double treadle. The methods and weights of yarns you plan to experiment with make a lot of difference. I like having the double drive and scotch tension options available, so most of my wheels have had both.

Pros and cons:
Kromski Minstrel: Treadles are angled up quite high and uses leather connectors everywhere, no plastic. This wheel would last forever but NEEDS maintenance, particularly if unfinished. Moving parts constantly need oil, grease, wax etc. Plastic and bearings can produce a faster/smoother spin with lower maintenance, but it's in what you're looking for there. It's a double treadle with double drive and ST option and variety of available whorls. Spins wonderfully.

Ashford Traveller: compact wheel, double drive with ST option, but I found that the small wheel never went fast enough for me, I tend to gravitate to high speed spinning. Even at knitting/spinning group I hear "wow you spin FAST" which I never really thought I did, but whatever. This wheel was too slow for me, I was constantly power treadling. I also never made a bad skein of yarn on it, and it's very attractive. Ashford has smaller bobbins than some brands (Kromski and Schacht have bigger bobbins, I get a tighter wind on Kromskis but they fit about the same amount of yarn on them in the end). Ashford standard bobbins fit maybe 2.5 oz, so I jumped to the jumbo flyer and bobbins quickly.

Kromski Sonata: the great spin of Kromski in a folding wheel with bearings and minimal maintenance. It's WONDERFUL. Because of the travel part, it is scotch tension only, the whorls are part of the flyer (common with single drive/scotch setup wheels) and you have less options for ratios. The want for more ratios/speeds is what made me look for other wheels.

Schacht Matchless: It spins fairly smoothly. The double-drive is just ok, I guess a lot of people don't use it and uptake problems don't sound to be rare. They set up a "quick release" mechanism for bobbins which is actually more complicated than my other wheels, and the tuning on that mechanism seems to be behind the problems I've had with the drive band jumping off the wheel. It has more available ratios than most on the market, which is what made me buy it. It is finnicky in how it is set up, bobbins turned the wrong way instead of speeding up or slowing down ratio just don't work. A slant in the floor made it not work, but you can adjust the support pegs to even it out (other wheels you can't adjust, but you don't need to adjust).

My entry level spinning recommendation*********: Kromski Fantasia. Spins well, runs on bearings, has a magnetic bobbin release which is truly easy-release, vs. the one that constantly needs tweaking and leaves me covered in grease... I know many happy owners of this wheel. The downside to a fantasia is that it is a beginner wheel and people do grow out of it. It does not support a woolee winder but has a sliding hook flyer so you can manually move it to wind even bobbins. It is single drive only but a different whorl setup so you can customize a bit better than most scotch wheels.

Quote:
And yes if you can sit down and spin with wheels before you buy that will be my recommendation 100% of the time no question.
Thanks so much for that great info - it gives me a good place to start with more research and yep, I can sit and spin at the fiber plce I just found the other day! Yea!
Dayzee1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #1227
msuk2girl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's awesome that you have the opportunity to try the out, Katie!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #1228
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Those shoes are super cute!

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #1229
stevensmom
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just sent Stevens teacher an email with my concern about the reading group he was placed in...and now I feel like the horrible mommy that is questioning the teachers actions
Swag with me! Bing it!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #1230
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
I just sent Stevens teacher an email with my concern about the reading group he was placed in...and now I feel like the horrible mommy that is questioning the teachers actions
That's OK, I'm trying to decide how to send an email to #1's teacher saying that he is bored in class. He needs harder math work because counting is so last year too. Not sure how to word it nicely though.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote