Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

How did you get your placenta out of the hospital?

Without the whole world knowing?

My mom is my labor support person. She is the only person I want when I'm in labor.... I let DH come because they are his children also, lol. Anyway so any ideas on how I could get my placenta off to be encapsulated without my mom knowing? She'd never let me live it down.

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could you have her leave after baby comes/bonding time (to fetch a meal or something) and have a cooler ready for hubby to transport (or whomever is encapsulating) to pick up?

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

Re: How did you get your placenta out of the hospital?

Yes, if she arrives at the hospital with you, I would give her an errand of some kind (like getting you a 7-up from the vending machine down the hall) right when you get to your room so you can tell your nurse that you would like your placenta discretely saved. Then you can probably get your DH, doula, whoever to take the placenta where it needs to go afterwards. After you give birth everyone is looking at the baby anyway; no one is standing guard over the afterbirth.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Mostly I just don't want the nurse announcing to the whole room that she's got the placenta bagged and ready to go. One of my friends is training to be a doula and she will be present and has agreed to encapsulate it for me. I guess I'll just have to pull my nurse aside and make sure that my wishes are crystal clear. Worse comes to worse I'll tell my mom that I'm going to plant it. She'll still think I'm nuts but hopefully she'll just let it slide.
LOL
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm sure the nurse will be understanding that you don't want your mom knowing. Like PPs said just send her out for something and do it then.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

The could can be the designated person to "take it to the lab" in the hospital. Just make sure the doula and nurse are crystal clear on the arrangement!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I pick up the placenta for my clients they just have their nurse go get it. It's in a bag and then I put it in a cooler bag to take home. Not really a big deal. Only time it was a big show was when there were about 20 new residents at the hospital and they were all freaked out about it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also don't forget to double check your hospital policies!! Our local hospital (not one I'm delivering at) has changed their policies and will no longer allow a placenta to leave immediately... They have to keep it for 48 hours....
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

My hospital will send it to whom you want it to go to themselves, or let you take it out in a carry container, after being properly stored. You don't get it until you're going out the door. I would just discuss it with your provider or the hospital staff, and let them know what you want, and not to mention it after birth.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote