Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:
Nursing a 10mth old

my dd is getting a little crazy with nursing, she always is playful and likes to sit up and break off and wave at anyone walking past. Im getting to the point where I dont want to NIP unless she is sleepy or really needs it. Nursing necklaces dont really intrest her she would rather put her hands in my nose and mouth and pull my glasses off! I dont want to wean as I belive it should be child lead and she is a avid nurser still. Tell me this is a phase, my other dds where much calmer than her.

Advertisement

Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing a 10mth old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommalilac
she would rather put her hands in my nose and mouth and pull my glasses off!
You sure you're not trying to nurse my 11 month old! No help.. but yeah, I'm right there with ya - it sucks!
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No advice, just sympthy. Going through the same thing here. I hear its a phase. Hopefully it will pass soon for all of us.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is a phase... It does get better. Unfortunately for me, I'm right there with you with DS. DD got past it, though, and nursed till she was 27 months old.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah! Just a phase... we are going through it right now. He bit me the other day and I am trying to not get an infection from it.

It is gives you an introduction into the world of the nursing toddler.
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

DS is doing this right now! I put myself away to type this out and now he is really mad! Off to a dark room with no distractions...
Old 06-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
mommypooh
Registered Users

yes both my children did this I was just firm and if they got up they lost their meal. they quickly learned to eat with out getting up.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/index.html

A couple of these articles on nursing an older baby are really good. I remember that around 8 or 9 months old, DJ got very distractable and the only place he would really nurse well was on my bed with the lights off! By then, he was old enough that he was eating other foods and drinking from a cup so I didn't feel like we *had* to NIP most of the time. If he asked while we were out and it was convenient, I'd let him know that he could do it as long as he behaved and did it right. If we were heading home soon or it was more convenient to do something else, then I'd try to distract/delay him and just wait. That always worked fine for us...if he really wanted booby, he'd stay focused and do it right. If other things were more interesting, he'd accept a cup or a brief delay. He wound up weaning himself around 19 months but I'm fairly certain he would have gone much longer if I had not been pregnant again.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, my dd was very distractible at that age, too. I would try to be discreet in public, and she would pull the blanket away or sit up abruptly, etc. A quiet place and longer between feedings helped.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
earthybirthymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older dd only did this around 14 months ( i was newly preggy too) and eventually weaned herself at 18 months. But dd#2 is doing it now at 7 months. Each time she does it i use her name and tell her if she does it 2more times shes done nursing for the time. And ive started pumping extra breastmilk here and there so that i have a supply in the freezer. Instead of fighting the battle of nursing in public, which for her is torture because shes hungry but desperately wants to watch EVERYTHING and EVERYONE passing by, i now just put the expressed breastmilk into a sippy cup. She can take a break from drinking, watch people and doesnt get sprayed in the eye with my streaming breastmilk lol. Seems to work fairly well for now. And its less frustrating for both of us!

earthybirthymom is offline   Reply With Quote