Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you had a toddler who sang all of the time..

..did they grow to be a musical child, or was it just a phase? Just curious because my daughter is 2.5 and she sings constantly! If it's not a real song it's just narrative of what's going on around her to music that she makes up, or songs that she knows that she just scrambles up, like a soundtrack to her little life. It's really funny a lot of the time, especially because she always sings when she takes herself to the potty, and it's usually TMI.

My husband and I are musically inclined but not professional in any way. I have been singing since I was 3 or so, though. Just wondering what other experiences were with seemingly musical toddlers

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know the answer to that yet...but my 9yr old sings constantly. She never stops. She is driving her siblings crazy..and me too at times. Lol. We have to constantly ask her to keep it down...stop...ect. She doesn't even know she is doing it. She sings the same line..over and over and over. I think we would all be fine with it if it was a narrative play by play of her life or something...lol

when my ds was a baby he would hear a beat in everything(me stirring pancake batter, the ceiling fan , washer, road noise...u name it) and would smile and dance. Hubby said he was going to be a drummer. He is 2.5 now and seems to have just outgrown it.

Last edited by roseyroberts; 09-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.
roseyroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you had a toddler who sang all of the time..

I'm curious to see how this turns out too, all 3 of mine sing constantly like that.

My husband actually does too, he is always changing the words to songs to add our children's names in and make it be about them. He does it without thinking. I wouldn't say he is musically inclined, he's never played an instrument, or sang anywhere but around the house, but he does have a very good natural sense of rhythm.

We took swing dancing lessons when we were dating, he had never danced a day in his life, yet picked it up very easily, most of the other people in class with no experience were really struggling to stay on the beat.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My now 5yo DD still hasn't outgrown the "life is an opera" stage. I figure she will be a band nerd some day.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1 sang constantly. She's doing pretty well in the 1 month she's been taking violin lessons. She's 5.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't know. DD has always calmed down from my singing and now loves to sing herself.

We're both musically inclined and can't wait until she gets a chance to choose an instrument
Old 09-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

My 6 year old has been singing since she could talk and she still does. I don't think it is a stage. It is just my daughter's personality to me. Shes outgoing, bubbly and life is to be sung. lol
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

2.5 is really young to assign any special talents to, IMO. But I know when it is your first that everything they do is super amazing. My girls both sing a lot, and I think it is very normal for kids to sing. My IL's assign a lot of weight to the talent their kids and grandkids have, and it drives me nuts. I feel like it is important to just allow kids to grow up and be who they are without telling them who they are. They definitely tell them who they are.

If you want to encourage musical knowledge I think that's great, and we do that a lot around here. We have a piano, drum set, and a few guitars. Dh is much more talented in that area than I am, and he teaches the kids. But I'm not ready to call Julliard just yet, lol.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD has done that pretty much since she could talk. I don't know how it will turn out because she is only 4.5--but some of her songs are getting really good! She's getting a pretty good tune to most of them and the lyrics are maturing much more so than what I would expect for her age so I think she may be musically inclined. Only time will tell.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My middle is like that, she sings and dances everything out. She's very creative. I think it's just her personality.

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote