Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: If you had a toddler who sang all of the time..

My niece grew up to be very musical. By about 2nd grade, her parents knew it wasn't just a phase, and put her in voice and piano lessons. She's still in love with music, and guitar, and just about everything that involves music. She's not in a field of music, but she can entertain a crowd.

My daughter had little interest in music as a small kid, but became obsessed with playing instruments and dancing by early grade school. She hates singing, but loves to play instruments. She is also not going into any musical field but can read and play music, plus choreograph some pretty awesome dances.

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Minniebees;15692812]2.5 is really young to assign any special talents to, IMO. But I know when it is your first that everything they do is super amazing. My girls both sing a lot, and I think it is very normal for kids to sing. My IL's assign a lot of weight to the talent their kids and grandkids have, and it drives me nuts. I feel like it is important to just allow kids to grow up and be who they are without telling them who they are. They definitely tell them who they are.

QUOTE]

I thought about not commenting on this, but I just wanted to say that your comment makes me not want to ask questions about my children. I try to be pretty even-keeled about my children and their abilities; I don't go bragging on every little thing that they do, although of course I am proud of what they accomplish. I didn't ask if a singing toddler = baby mozart, but just if others who have children who sing continue having musical aptitude. I just don't have experience with children really or many friends who have kids, so I don't have a lot to draw on.

Thanks everyone for your experiences

Last edited by songbird516; 09-17-2012 at 01:54 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
flintgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
My daughter does the same thing. She just turned five in July. She will sing everything she plays with, her Barbies and other toys. Emma loves listening to music too. She loves Justin Bieber, One Direction, Glee remakes, and really any pop music. She is constantly taking my phone and headphones and jamming. It's like she tries to make every sentence a song!

Don't know about when they get older but right now it is adorable!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
2.5 is really young to assign any special talents to, IMO.
It's not really assigning a talent, it's more nurturing an interest. Or taking seriously something our children are interested in.

It's buying a fake microphone, or a tape recorder so she can enjoy this interest. It's putting our kids in voice lessons when they are 8 because it's what they love...even if they aren't actually talented. They are interested.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
I thought about not commenting on this, but I just wanted to say that your comment makes me not want to ask questions about my children. I try to be pretty even-keeled about my children and their abilities; I don't go bragging on every little thing that they do, although of course I am proud of what they accomplish. I didn't ask if a singing toddler = baby mozart, but just if others who have children who sing continue having musical aptitude. I just don't have experience with children really or many friends who have kids, so I don't have a lot to draw on.

Thanks everyone for your experiences
The comment bothered me as well, but after reading it a few times I think perhaps it wasn't meant to sounds so condescending. I think it was a sore spot with the poster because of her inlaws and not specifically aimed at you. I didn't think your question sounded at all as the comment implied...i think all parents wonder at times if a paticular love their children have could be what they pursue as adults!

Last edited by roseyroberts; 09-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.
roseyroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

If your DD ends up a singer, mine (3yo) will be an actress. She has memorized a ton of her cartoons and acts them out all day long. She likes to integrate what is going on around her into the scenes too.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote